Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Aussie rockcrawler!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Post Custom crawler

Hi all

I have just joined the forum, but have had my AX10 for a while!! I believe it has the most different brands in one crawler!!!

List of parts

Custom chassis
Custom delrin skid, battery plate and dig servo plate
Tekin FXR
HH 7t Puller
Maxamps 2000mah 3c lipo
CKRC 4 link plates, rear lockouts, high steer knuckles
Losi shocks with AE MMGT blue springs
Losi Comp Claws
DX6i moded
CKRC wiggle (great beginners servo but doesn't have enough torque)
CC bec
Discontinued HPI bug body
Axial CVDs, and Cs
Losi shocks
Custom delrin links

Soon to be:

Hitec 5980 robotics servo
Overdrive gears
J concepts rock steady
Some awesome beadlocks

My dad made me the chassis and delrin parts as I couldn't find any chassis that I liked (and cause i'm cheap and aussie dollars BAD) They were all hand made so they are not perfect!! Everything that has bought I got from the US cause you should see the prices over hear! I will try to get some pics of it on the rocks sometime soon!!

If you want the ultimate rock crawling motor set up go and buy a puller now!! On 3c a 7t only gets warm when I do donuts and roar around flat out. The whole time the fxr only come up as led 4 and does not even get warm . Also the Maxamps 2000mah is awesome at around 30c it has plenty enough guts to supply the puller. Sure it might be a bit more than most lipos but it is a great size and well worth the money. Also make sure that you get a CC bec!

If you are thinking of buying a rock crawler and want one right now go out and buy a axial. I would steer clear of the rtr and the rtc as you will have to replace the electronics on them anyway. I would also steer clear of the losi until they get the bugs worked out of it, which I am sure they will!

The HR dig is great for the money. At that price I don't mind abusing it. Do not even think about using mini servos with it as they just burn up. Also the CKRC wiggle is a great dig servo . It helps get the dig in and out of 4wd with ease . I only had one problem when assembly the dig. That was when it was mounted to the tranny it had a stiff stop. Anyway the problem was my transition outputs weren't tightened properly.

I have put axial 'O' rings in the losi shocks and they aren't leaking as much, but time will till!!

I drive my rig at a dam near by which has some rocks around the edge. As far as I know no one around hear has rock crawlers so I can't have any comps:-(.

Any here is some pics!!

I have put axial 'O' rings in the losi shocks and they aren't leaking as much, but time will till!! If it helps a lot I might put some pics up showing how to do it

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 06-19-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

welcome to RCC....you have a great rig there.....tons of great info on here
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks mate!! Glad you liked it
Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice setup...I like it alot!!!
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Cheers mate

I'll try get some pics of it on the rocks soon

Kieren
Old 06-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Made myself some delrin lower links To replace my ugly tamiya CR01 ones. BTW if you are having problems with losi shocks leaking take the o rings out of the bottom of the standard ax10 shocks and put them in the losi cartridge WOW no leaks at all the axial ones are slightly fatter so you will have to put a 6mm plastic spacer between the o rings. If you use the one that is in it the catritge cap won't pop back on!

Anyway here is some pics

Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #7

Hi mate, I'm from Aus as well. Where did you get that viper plate for your servo/4 link mount.

I ordered one that was meant to be like that, but the mount is slightly different for the 4 link so the factory arms aren't long enough.
maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

They are from ckrc. You must have got the 3 link version, but you can still use 4 link on it The factory arms won't be long enough for mine either and I run my custom chassis which has the upper link mounts closer to the axles and I still have to run 65mm uppers. I think you have this

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1037

or this

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1036

This is the link for how to install them

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1024

If you do you need 96mm upper links So you could use stock axial lowers with a little bit sanded off the end

I don't think you will be able to use stock uppers with any 4 link! Just by some 5/16 delrin rod and make some lower link and then cut your old lower links so they are the right length for the uppers or just use delrin for both uppers and lowers

Hope that helps mate
Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #9

Cheers, thanks for the info. Yep mine is the plate in the first link.

I also called the supplier after making my post and he's sending me some extension pieces for the mean time.

I have ordered some bent lower links from the US a week ago which should arrive early next week. I guess I could always shorten down the old straight lower links and use them as upper links too so they're one piece.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Just use the stock lowers as they are or sand them down slightly. It will look better and if you get extensions you will have to get m3 threaded rod to join them to the old posts! I would cut 2 98mm links to 96mm and use them on the front and then use 98mm links on the rear to help pinion angle

Kieren
Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have changed the 4 link so it will clear the dig servo a bit better. This is also a great way to have 4 link rear for no cost. As most people will have some spare links lying around and you don't have to buy a plate

The steering set up works OK the is a little bit of unwanted movement at the very end. But hopefully that will be replaced with a delrin bta or ota

On to some pics

Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Hmm is my rig crap or why is no body replying? If my rig is bad tell me what I can do to make it better. I won't get mad or whatever. Also I am in the process of making the simplest bta. A straight link I will post pics soon when I am done.

Kieren
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #13

It looks good man..

I'm not sure about the strength of those 4 link mounts at the back of the diff. I'd be worried about the arm tearing one of those plastic posts out of the diff.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Hmm never had a problem with it doing that I got the idea off the bloke who make the cool high steer knuckles on this forum. Hmm can't think of his name. I have just finished testing my bta I will post pics soon as they upload! I wish hitec would hurry up and bring the 7950th out. I think the wiggle has officially kicked the bucket. LOL the the servo arm moves in and out throughout the movement

kieren
Old 06-19-2009, 01:51 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Hi

Got some pics of my bta It works great:-P. Also got some pics of the beast actually moving under its own power!! All pics were driven into and out of, no poser shots

The pics

The pics on the bta. For information the 4 link plate is a ckrc, the links are 65mm and a stock steering link with 13mm of spacers added. I have removed the 3 link connecter and rounded the end of the 4 link plate Also there is a 4mm spacer inder the tie rod rod ends.

Hope you liked it
Cya
Kieren

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 06-19-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:41 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

not bad

quite a few guys on the coast round brisbane and the sunshine coast, and a few higher up round cairns
not sure exactly where you are (know nothing about Qld, i'm in Vic)

if you hop on http://thecrawlpit.com/forum thats the best way to find guys near you because thats where we all hang out
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanks mate

Yeah I use to have a look on the crawl pit, but it never seemed to get updated much so I joined this site instead. Anything you reckon I should do to make it better?

kieren
Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Talking Pics on the rocks

Finally got some pics on the rocks, but my little adventure abruptly ended:-(. Snapped off the post coming off the diff as shown in the pic. I have order overdrive gears for the front and a futaba s1957. As it has the highest torque on 6v of any servo and I couldn't be bothered waiting for the hitec. After all anything is better than this useless wiggle. But don't get me wrong it is great if your tyres don't grip . Any ideas for what I could do to get the rig up and running quickly again? I will most likerly purchase a dinky link if they ship to Aus. Does anyone know if they do? Also ae there any other options for 4 link apart from the new era and dinky link, that don't require the posts? Anyway here is some pics

Old 06-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

thats a nice crawler
badnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking rig
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote