Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: !!! DNA DIG with STRC Skid= :( !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default !!! DNA DIG with STRC Skid= :( !!!

Well I just finished up installing my DNA Dig on my tranny and as im putting everything back together I notice the Dig unit casing is not going to allow my rear lower link to be mounted inside the chassis like its supposed to. So what im looking for is solutions to the problem as I have noticed when searching people have ran into this before but never really posted a working fix. The 2 options I can think of are... 1) Shimming the whole Trans up off the Skid. 2) Dremeling that area of the dig unit itself to allow the link end to fit. I would rather use method number 2 so if anyone has done this and has any pointers or better yet pics of how they did it that would be great. Thanks, FuNk
801FuNk801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I am not running the skid your running but this is what I did the my dig case to give me the clearance I needed for my lower link on the dig side.

abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yeah thats kinda what im getting at but i need about 5 times that amount. I just put my lower links outside the skid and the other ends outside the shock and I have no binding issues so far. How will having them outside the skid and on the other side of the shocks as i have them now affect my performance as opposed to inside the skid and inside the shock where they were before the dig was installed?

Last edited by 801FuNk801; 07-12-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You could also put spacers under your tranny (Where you screw the skid into your tranny)to lift it up a bit. That might give the additoinal clearance you will need to clear it.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have mine shimmed and shaved and all I did was add a little more weight to the wheels to make up for raising the tranny about an 8th inch. It works great. Hope this helps
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Rather then shimming and shaving, What will be the draw backs if any of leaving the links mounted on the outside of the skid? Besides the obvious maybe catching a few rocks or snags.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801FuNk801 View Post
Rather then shimming and shaving, What will be the draw backs if any of leaving the links mounted on the outside of the skid? Besides the obvious maybe catching a few rocks or snags.
It changes your link geometry, which in turn changes how the crawler drives.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman2010 View Post
That wont be an issue at all, thats how it is stock. Or you could buy my SWX chassis to lol. Then your links wont even be close to the dig problem solved
Then I have to deal with the headache of trying to get that big mess of a tranny and dig unit into that SWX! Ill just stick with my Integy carbon fiber.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
It changes your link geometry, which in turn changes how the crawler drives.
And shimming the tranny up changes the center of gravity in turn changing how the crawler drives right? So it sounds like I better just take my pick and deal with one of them. Thanks for the replies guys
Old 07-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
Keep it real

Quote:
And shimming the tranny up changes the center of gravity in turn changing how the crawler drives right? So it sounds like I better just take my pick and deal with one of them. Thanks for the replies guys
Higher CG is easier to deal with than bad link geometry. And I'm not saying your link geometry is bad, since I haven't seen a pic of it yet.

Last edited by Tanis; 07-12-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Check it out...

Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
Keep it real

Quote:
Check it out...
I wouldn't run mine that way, but give it a shot, it might fit your driving style. Worse case, you change it around again....part of the fun of tuning a truck to your specific liking

Last edited by Tanis; 07-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I wouldn't run mine that way, but give it a shot, it might fit your driving style. Worse case, you change it around again....part of the fun of tuning a truck to your specific liking
If you don't mind me asking, Why wouldn't you run yours that way? is the geometry bad or just due to the fact that the links are outside and more exposed to snags? Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
Keep it real

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, Why wouldn't you run yours that way? is the geometry bad or just due to the fact that the links are outside and more exposed to snags? Thanks
It will snag things easier for sure, but I won't say it is bad geometry, just not what I prefer. I've seen great drivers that put their links outside the chassis, and it works great for them. So, the best thing is to try it and see if you like it yourself.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
It will snag things easier for sure, but I won't say it is bad geometry, just not what I prefer. I've seen great drivers that put their links outside the chassis, and it works great for them. So, the best thing is to try it and see if you like it yourself.
Cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I have noticed that STRC skids are thin. If it were me I would get a new delrin skid for your rig. Doing so will solve several problems. One it will get the trans/dig up out of the way. Two the links will be more triangulated. I say this because the STRC skid doesn't put the links in far enough IMHO. Three the delrin will slide over the rocka alot better than the aluminum skid you are running now.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #17
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Looks like you've already shaved the dig case a bit....how far is it from clearing with it shaved? I say bring the links back inside where they should be and just use a small spacer to bring the whole trans/dig assembly up a bit.

When I was building my Havoc at first as a shafty rig, I needed to do basically the same thing due to the aftermarket AX skid being too thin where the trans mounted up. Using a spacer just brought the trans up to where it would be sitting on a thicker skid.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Default Skid plate for dig

Hello I had a similar issue,in the end I got a MTR Designs skid from RCP.This delrin skid is designed for the dig,it actually moves the Transmission forward ,plus raises it slightly.This also helps out with the short steep rear driveshaft angle issue.It has made everything fit much better and the dig shifts better also. The way I had it before was with the links just mounted inside the frame .All you would have to do is just cut the rear tab off your skid plate (just the rear hole) then you could fit the arms inside, you also need to use a flat headed screw and put a thin nut on the outside.
Dennis P is offline   Reply With Quote