Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ** MSD Hybrid Comp Chassis Build **

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
This gonna be a "live" build?
well I dont have any kind of " live " video feed, but I will take pics and post them as I go.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger View Post
.......I will take pics and post them as I go.
That's what I meant^^^^^^
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

started the new build.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Well, on account of the freaking monsoon we've had for the last two days I didn't get to run my truck today like I wanted to. I don't think I'll be going to Butte next weekend so I'm looking forward to running it at my spot in Alberton. There are some lines that I couldn't do with my ShaftD that I want to try with this one. As stable as it seems just farting around in my yard I think it will do well.

My major accomplishments for today were relocating the receiver from the front chassis cross-brace to the real axle. I didn't like having all those wires right by the spur gear. Then I cleaned up the wiring as best I could. I was used to having a wide chassis with nice places to hide everything, so this "out in the open" stuff is new to me.

Then I got my trusty Hammers mounted on the new MSD Top Guns that I picked up last weekend and mounted up my old body. With the Hammers my clearance is right at 2.75". If I was going to run the Chisels all the time I'd probably limit my shocks or else maybe run some 90mm shocks since it sits a little taller than I'd like with them on.

Last edited by TruckerBrad; 08-15-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added some info
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Pink zip ties?
I have some black ones you can have
Why are you running your old lid? Testing or just saving your new one for comps? Sucks you wont be out in Butte next weekend, but hopefully will see you out at Norris

Last edited by montana.matt; 08-15-2009 at 10:49 PM.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

The pink zip-ties..........that's what happens when you buy the contractor pack at Home Depot and use all the good colors first, and I'm too tight to let them go to waste. Besides, you can't see them with the body on.

I wanted to come to Butte, but since the wifes gonna be out of town for the Norris comp I decided I'd better stay close to home next weekend. And there's some Plum Creek land out by Alberton that I want to explore a little bit

I'm running the old lid until there's nothing left of it. Might run the new one for comps, I haven't made up my mind yet.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

which mip drive shafts are you using? i know with my chassis w/o the dig on it. is a long way from the tranny to the rear axle. and is your drive shaft to the rear really close to hiting the top of the skid plate.
thanks
glenn
ggooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Great looking Chassis .....How do you like the Axial shocks so far ?? If you ever ran the losi shocks how would you compare the two ?? thanks for the great build thread and info
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggooler View Post
which mip drive shafts are you using? i know with my chassis w/o the dig on it. is a long way from the tranny to the rear axle. and is your drive shaft to the rear really close to hiting the top of the skid plate.
thanks
glenn
I'm using the short MIP on the front and a regular one on the back. The splines on the shaft are 26mm and I have 6mm exposed so there's still 20mm of spline going into the other shaft. Yes mine is close to the skid too, but it's not touching.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZKRAWLER View Post
Great looking Chassis .....How do you like the Axial shocks so far ?? If you ever ran the losi shocks how would you compare the two ?? thanks for the great build thread and info
Thanks, I wanted to get one of these chassis for a while and finally bit the bullet. I really like the new Axial shocks. I was in a hurry when I built them and one has a real small leak, but that should go away when I rebuild them. They're super smooth. I've never ran the Losi's, I had Traxxas shocks on my ShaftD. I think the Axial's are way better than the Big Bores.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

In my first post after building this crawler I mentioned the forward weight bias. Even running the transmission the opposite of how I used to have my crawlers set up it is mounted far enough ahead that, in my opinion, it's the about the same weight-wise as having the spur gear facing the back.

Here's a comparison shot. The first pick I stole from Gunnar's SWX build. It was the only decent side shot I could find showing the center mounted transmission.

And I took this pic this morning of my MSD Hybrid chassis with the forward-mounted transmission.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I run this truck at it's first comp today. I'm still getting used to it as I only had about a half hour of drive time on the truck before today. It is a night and day difference between the Hybrid chassis and the chassis I was running before. I had a -4, a -5 and completely blew the other two courses thanks to poor driving.

This thing is glued to the rocks, now all I have to do is learn how to pick lines.:-(
Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Made some changes to the suspension today. I figured that the GTG tomorrow would be a good time to try out some new things.

1. The upper and lower links are both 96mm now, which puts the WB right at 12.5". It was just a hair over 12" the way I had it before.

2. I noticed two holes on the MSD servo plate that looked like a good place to try out a different mounting position for the 4-link. I had to countersink the front since the holes were under the servo.

3. I moved the rear shocks out on the top to make them more up-and-down to see if it stabilizes the rear more or if it will make it worse.

Here's some pics...............

I'll see tomorrow if it works or if I wasted my time and need to make shorter top links and mount them back the way they were.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Looks to me like someone did his homework very nice changes, tomorrow will be a good test. Make sure to check your voice mail on your cell before you leave the house.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

The grease is already in the toolbox. My wife won't answer my phone, she just tells me when it's ringing.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

It appears that my suspension gamble paid off. Truck was very stable today. There were some lines from the 2.2 pro courses from the Scale Nats that I couldn't do before and made them today. I can really slow down now and study/pick lines without a fear that the truck is going to flop over.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

This truck flat works, very impressive to watch with no dig
Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I'd be dangerous if I could drive better

I mounted the lower links inboard on the axle now to make the suspension cycle smoother. It seemed like it was way stiff in Rocker, but I had the top of the shocks spaced out from the chassis, too. We'll see how it does in Helena on Saturday
Old 11-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

where can i get one of these chassis?
microamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

MSD has them but I don't think they're listed on the website.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/193463-%2A%2A-msd-hybrid-comp-chassis-build-%2A%2A.html
Posted By For Type Date
Competition Crawling, Scale Crawling and other RC action • View topic - MSD Hybrid 2.2 build This thread Refback 03-01-2013 09:03 AM