Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Driveshaft rings issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Driveshaft rings issue

Put driveshaft rings on upper end of shafts and now contacts spur gear!Went to LHS and picked up an 81 tooth,but too small motor doesnt come in enough for proper mesh...Any ideas?Will an 85 tooth clear clear drive shaft rings,has anyone been through this?The 84 my LHS has is white and im picky!!Only black they have is 87,85,81....If anyone has been through this let me know what solved..I tried grinding down,but stii not enough clearance,and dont want to space trans up!!
DrtRacr440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Ditch the rings (at least the one near the gear) and get some Traxxas shafts. The pro-pack is like 6-9 bucks for 6 shafts. They are stronger but will fit the Axial yokes.
Another option is to get an extended front output for the trans from Yotachump. (vendor on here) You can run a T-maxx shaft with one of these. I have one and it works well.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
dkf
Rock Crawler

I used my lathe and put a chamfer on the ring so it wouldn't hit the spur when the suspension was fully compressed. I'm using the stock 87t spur.

Last edited by dkf; 08-15-2009 at 09:27 AM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
RCC Addict

drop the rings and stock shafts
invest in the mip c spline shafts and they'll be the last ones you'll ever buy. these things are bullet proof, ive yet to hear of anybody being able to break these.
ive had mine about a year now and they besides haveing to replace my outdrives ive never has an issue w/ them.
the outdrives ended up torquing an entire 90 degrees while the mips were still like new
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I prob will go with the c drives but for now i settled for a spray painted 84 tooth and chamfered the ring....
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

All you need is lock-tight blue and you will be golden. No need for rings or 3rd party shafts.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
All you need is lock-tight blue and you will be golden. No need for rings or 3rd party shafts.

I’ll listen.
toygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Im running stock drive shafts with a 45t integy with 12/90 gearing and I haven't managed to mangle one yet (stretched a few but none broken) Just make sure they are tight and the ears are in good condition and you won't have a problem IMHO.
93yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Mine ripped down the splines but i am tough on them...Get in bind,use motor to force out...I am running pede shafts with all four rings now.Went to a 84 tooth spur and chamfered the ring...No issues now!Thanks for ideas though..If loc tite is all your using and they hold together your being to easy!Go out and give that thing hell!See if you can break anything,fun to work on..I ran out of things to upgrade right now,so i break stuff to have reason to work on it!!Now go break s**t!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

the stock ears are weak, I like the mips. They have been taking a beating with my super bent links in the back and still going strong. I do have a stock back-up set though ready to go with the rings on just in case, though I have yet to require them.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote