Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Need advice on purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #1

Default Need advice on purchase

Im new to crawling and my budget is kinda low, college student. A guy at the local hobby shop has a well used RTR version axial hes wanting to sell for 100 bucks. Would this be a good starting point? The plastic links kinda turn me away, the steering is kinda sloppy too because of the plastic steering bar. 100 bucks is very tempting, or should I just save up and buy a used kit version? Thanks for the help.

--Tommy

Last edited by Azngtboi88; 08-26-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Azngtboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #2

If it was me id say get it and get crawling. Because even if you had a really decent crawler you would prob change out parts anyways. I know i have already. Just wait you will change servos/steering, then comes new links, then new motor, esc........ trust me it never ends. And for 100 bucks thats a good deal.
8wr_zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Jump on it for 100 if its rtr. Getting a crawler is the first step. There are alot of mods that are free and will help alot. Star cut foams , fuel tubing in shocks , cut skid plate & move links to inside & hack that body up now.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #4

id def grab it for 100 if i was you mate
couchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thats a good deal if its still in excellent condition.. Dont get the kit.. Youll be changing parts anyway. save the extra money for your upgrades
CHRIZAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIZAD View Post
Thats a good deal if its still in excellent condition.. Dont get the kit.. Youll be changing parts anyway. save the extra money for your upgrades
Its not in excellent condition, its been used quite a bit, but everything rolls free and no weird noises. I will go pick it up today then! thanks a lot for the help! I will post up when i get it!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default $100 Crawler

For 100 dollars if you don't grab it I will. Where is this guy thats selling a crawler for 100 bucks.:-P I'm just kidding around with you, but you should buy that crawler quick for that price. Theres your chance will you take it.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Does it work? If it is actually driveable I say GRAB IT.

Then posts some pics of what you got and we can all help you with the overhaul.

Welcome to the maddness!
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forum. Finally decided to get into crawling (you were on R7R forums right?)

I'd say $100 is a steal for the axles, chassis, shocks, and trans/driveshaft (btw rtr's had metal yokes) toss the links, make (or buy) metal links, and get a decent radio in it and you'd be set to go. Oh yeah, you'll want to get new tires if it still has the lizards, those are about as good as crawling on bare rims. This forum is a great resource for anything you'd ever want to know about rc crawling.

Again, welcome.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 08-26-2009 at 02:12 PM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #10

Like everyone else said, get it! Thats the first step. With all of the cool people around I'm sure we can help you get the rig set up just right. Send me a PM if you get the rig and a list of what you need I might have some items to help you out. $100.00 is a kicking deal, do it!
gernade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Id buy even though I have a crawler. If you get real hardcore you are going to replace most parts anyhow!!
aclark09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Buy it now! dont wait
rccrawler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #13

Sorry to keep everyone waiting, I did pick it up today! I've been at school all day at meetings and showing people around campus....so I just got back to my house. The rig run really well, a crawler can do a lot more than i expected! Its kinda dirty, but I will take time this weekend to tear it all apart and clean it.

Well here are the pics!

Tell me what ya think!

Oh and the only things I would like to replace right now are the inside links...the v shaped ones, steering links, and the rear links. The fronts already have metal traxxas links on.

Last edited by Azngtboi88; 08-27-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

looks good for $100!

First, move the upper links to the furthest out hole. This will get your pinion angle to a good position.

Make sure you are mounting the heavy NiMh or NiCd battery as low as possible. On the front axle is the most popular spot, but you'll probably want to invest in either Lipo or saddle pack batteries.

Changing the links to metal is a good idea, but keep in mind that if you want to compete with the crawler you'll have to keep the wheelbase at or under 12.5 in. Don't forget the steering and drag link. There are "color packs" and "hardware upgrade" kits that provide everything you'll need to upgrade the links to aluminum. (And they're already the right length)

Also, since you'll be taking it apart anyway, cut the skid to mount the lower links on the inside of the chassis, there are plenty of threads that show this.

Like I said earlier you'll want new tires, the stock lizards are pretty bad, and almost anything is an improvement.

Eventually you will want to upgrade the servo, install a dig unit, upgrade the esc to have a drag brake, upgrade the radio system, and start replacing other components with stronger ones like the steering knuckles, etc.

The goal is to get the weight low, strengthen the components, and get good electronics to control everything well.

It's only just begun!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

You got a good deal man! thats a steal. Axles alone and some few parts will cost you more than a hundred bucks if you buy it one by one.. first thing you need to do is clean it up. check what parts still good or not and..that shocks is too long and Im sure thyere too stiff bro..bring it down.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #16

Aww crap, thats what I was afraid of. Everytime I buy something new I spend way too much money on upgrades for it . lol Thanks for the tips Monkeyracer! Those color packs sound interesting, I just dont want to spend too much money on this thing. Im not going to be competing or anything, I just do everything for fun.

Oh and CHRIZAD your right, the shocks are way too stiff. How do I bring it down? Different springs? Diferent oil? I wont be able to really mess with it till this weekend, but getting as much info as possible will give me a great start!

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Since your on budget, get some short springs in ace hardware and put it inside the shock shaft. That way, youll be having shocks with internal springs on it. Oh, and dont forget to buy some shock oil. Theyre just a couple of buck im sure in your LHS. get those with 50wt for rear and 30wt on front. That way, yourre lowering your rig for more stability.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #18

Okay I was doing some research and It seems like a lot of people put the battery on the front axle to get some more grip in the front. So I put my battery in the front too, but now im having trouble getting the front off the ground because its so heavy. If I back into the rocks the rear end will go up no problem. What should I do?

I like the battery on the front axle a lot better though, the truck feels like its a lot more stable and it doesnt want to flip over everytime I get on a high incline.

I still need to work on the shocks, the truck wants to flip on its side a lot.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Are you using a stick pack? get a split pack you can find them everywhere it mounts on the axle. heres one for example

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=690

and get something like these to mount it

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1867
SpaceBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

also, those tires are really holding you back, they are made from a pretty hard compound, and won't give you any grip. Better tires will allow you to climb a lot more.

TCScrawlers has the HB Rovers for a good price. You'll definitely notice the difference.