Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: to Lipo or not to Lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default to Lipo or not to Lipo?

Is it worth it? Is there something I need to convert? I currently run a 7 cell split pack. I don't really plan to go brushless on my crawler in the near future so would Lipo still be worth it? I keep hearing about them catching fire,they aren't that much better,yada yada yada.....

what say RCC?
Nylintbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yes!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

use the search button... you will see how shitty lipo really is, waste of money, big heavy stick and split packs are really the rage all these days
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Do you have a charger already that does LiPo? Or are you ready to put down the cash for one? If you answer no to both of those questions, then your answer is no. If you answer yes to either one, then yes you should. It's as simple as that. I went LiPo not too long back after running 6cell sticks. Especially for the crawler application, very well worth it.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Lipo's are definately worth it. I run 3s and can't imagine ever going back to nickle cells. Works awesome on brushed or brushless.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
use the search button... you will see how shitty lipo really is, waste of money, big heavy stick and split packs are really the rage all these days
I bet you have loads of friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonshark View Post
Do you have a charger already that does LiPo? Or are you ready to put down the cash for one? If you answer no to both of those questions, then your answer is no. If you answer yes to either one, then yes you should. It's as simple as that. I went LiPo not too long back after running 6cell sticks. Especially for the crawler application, very well worth it.

SS
Thanks for the input shark. I did actually say no to both. I actually forgot to ask the cost to worth question in my first post,but totally forgot about having a separate charger.Looks like split packs til tax season.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylintbucket View Post
I bet you have loads of friends....
yes i do... would you like to be one of them??

buton a serious note, check out the ebay lipos and chargers, i have the "Win force" pack, 3s cells (fir nicely on the front axle) and b6 charger, the charge balance mode is a bit slow but doesnt bother me any.. for 2 cells and charger you would come in around 80bucks... pretty cheap IMO
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

lipo is deffinitly worth it for the size and weight savings. the downside is you will need a lipo charger, and this is a place that its best not to cheap out on. chargers are something were spending the extra cash will pay off in the long run.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

do it.
the kil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Best switch i ever made
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I started this hobby with a 6-cell 2000mah NiCd stick pack, left over from a toy-grade Radio Shack RC car, and soon realized that Lipo was so much more advantageous, with regard to voltage, capacity, and weight. I now run Lipo's on all my R/C cars:

AX10: 2200mah 3S 20C/30C (I have two of them; they last about an hour each on my 5.5lb rig with a Cobalt 10T, FXR, and two servos.)
Slash: Turnigy 5000mah 3S 20C
Losi Eight: Turnigy 5000mah 4S 20C and 5000mah 6S 20C

I haven't had any problems with them that weren't caused by my own carelessness. I charge the packs with a Turnigy Accucel-6 50W charger and a Turnigy 8150 150W charger.

So: to Lipo or not to Lipo?

---> "to LIPO!" <---
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Always lipo !!!!!!!!!!!!!
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonshark View Post

SS
I run stick packs and with some of them starting to die I'm looking at LiPo

From the way they performed when I borrowed a 2s 15c 2000mah pack, I'd say very nice. Cheap pack out lasted 2 of my NiMH packs and weighed less than half that of 1 pack.

It was a hong kong special pack you can get 2 for £30 which is less than 1 of my NiMH packs cost. So cheap you don't care if a pack fails.
Crimson Feight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

damn.......I might not wait til tax season
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Lipo is so much better than nimh, I stopped carrying nimh because I felt it a disservice to customers. They last more cycles, have a higher power for volume, and are now cheaper per watt hour too. All around just a better deal.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I am amazed at all the nimhs I still see folks running I don't get it I guess change is hard for some folks no matter how much better it is.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you have them, might as well use them. Once I wore mine out I just started changing over.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
I am amazed at all the nimhs I still see folks running I don't get it I guess change is hard for some folks no matter how much better it is.
personally i liked the added weight in the front w/o having to add more weight in the wheels. basically more weight in the wheels = less foam.
i had to drop some extra coin for some aluminum wheels to get the weight i wanted. then came the price of the axle plate and new links.

ive recently made the switch, and i cant really compain.
the constant peak in voltage is definatly a plus, untill the lipo cut off kicks in of course.
the only thing i wish is, that somone made a hard pack or some sort of enclosure for it.
like you im a little paranoid about accidentally puncturing a cell and having a 3 ft flame jetting off of my front axle

Last edited by NeXt559; 09-29-2009 at 01:34 PM.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

fire....awesome. now i worry again. i roll my junk off some pretty big rocks
Old 09-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #20
RCC Addict

i have been running lipo for months now and cannot ever see myself going to nimh. i too was a little skeptical at first, but when all was said and done i couldnt be happier. i would say go for it. .. .
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote