Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Am I going down the right path?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Am I going down the right path?

I think I am. I replaced rtc steering links w/ alloy, then broke servo arm. replaced plastic servo arm w/ alloy and upgraded to higher torque servo, now broke steering knuckle. Im now ordering alloy steering knuckles. Where should the next week spot be? :-) I assume Im headed down the right path to breaking more expensive parts rather than having plastic parts that flex.
neuro242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you're on par to me...

I'm going to bet that the axle C's will be next. Might want to pick up a pair with those knuckles.

Dont know about the driveshaft yokes on the RTC but Traxxas has some good heavy duty ones. Never had an issue with mine.
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

depending on the motor you are running chances are the next thing to go will be a drive shaft. Get the plastin traxxas stampede ones. They rock. But you are on the right course. Check the axial comp setup sheet. Its a bit old but still loaded with good info.

http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

ya motor is a big thing
sounds like you are doing some high speeds
if you go slow you dont brake as often
ABOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

45t motor but crawl speeds. only open it up on clear trail but still rarely. i have steal center drive shafts so i figured cv's would be next. no matter what u start w/, rtc or kit, u build it! enjoying it!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #6

out of curiosity, what brand alloy links and knuckles did you get?
brilamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

new lower suspension links the stock on both the rtr and rtc flex way to much under pressure. save the uppers for when you go four link if you ever do. but the lowers especially in the rear need to go.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro242 View Post
45t motor but crawl speeds. only open it up on clear trail but still rarely. i have steal center drive shafts so i figured cv's would be next. no matter what u start w/, rtc or kit, u build it! enjoying it!
I wouldn't go with cv's. I've been running the dog bones with no problems. I haven't heard to many good things about them. But it's your truck and every ones setup is different and it might work good for you. Read the thread that Theslowguy posted, Good stuff in there!
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilamb2 View Post
out of curiosity, what brand alloy links and knuckles did you get?
my links are axial. looking at axial knuckles.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

And the nickle and dime upgrades continue.......:-P
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro242 View Post
I think I am. I replaced rtc steering links w/ alloy, then broke servo arm. replaced plastic servo arm w/ alloy and upgraded to higher torque servo, now broke steering knuckle. Im now ordering alloy steering knuckles. Where should the next week spot be? :-) I assume Im headed down the right path to breaking more expensive parts rather than having plastic parts that flex.
This is a easy fix. If you in a bind do not try and throttle out of it and you won't break stuff all the time. Also you can run a slipper clutch and it will slip when your in a bind warning you to stop before you break something.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I'm surprised you're breaking steering components, but yet to throw a driveshaft. When they start to go, the MIP ones are beef and the 3racing ones are yet to break on mine and a few other trucks. Then you'll break a tranny output, so that'll need upgrading, then there's a chance you'll strip tranny gears.... If you get to that stage, chances are slight revisions of driving style may be required!

I would also avoid the CVDs unless you find a set that are proven tougher than the dogbones, my CVDs snapped too easy.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thats what I figured. So far im just going thru stock parts on steering related. I think im easy on throttle and try to avoid binding. Now that Ill have the steering beefed up im sure driveshafts is next. im surprised to. Every other rc ive had, that's what went first. As long as I continue to get a few runs between breaks like I am now, Im happy. I just need more $$ :-)
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
RCC Addict

my cvd's don't snap easy

they EXPLODE easy, i think alot of my problem is from not having a mechinal stop for the steering. my guess for next is tranny outputs as said then gears. when i got the stainless spool and alum gears i went ahead and went alum for the case to make sure it didn't flex or tweak any. oh and somewhere around there the hex area in the front wheels will blow out, and have you pulled a shock apart from a bind yet? ripped link ends off? man there's so many fun parts to break you never know what's gonna nickle you next. at some point you start breaking upgraded parts and the cycle repeats.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote