Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Help with AX10 Scorpion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #1

Default Help with AX10 Scorpion

First off I would like to say i am a noob with crawling.
I just got my first Crawler today, I got a AX10 Scorpion RTC. It is all stock.
I have a few question about it.
With the stock ESC can I run Lipo on it? or do I need a lipo cutoff for it?
I have a brushless ESC in my B4 called a LRP SXX TC SPEC Brushless Electronic Speed Control. Can this be used in my AX10 Scorpion RTC? And what size of motor should I run with it?
And lastly when i run the crawler up a slop and stop it will roll backwards? I can stop it, if I give it a little power. Is there a way to fix this? My sons Losi comp will stay in the same place when it is stopped.

Thankx for all your help.
Raymond.
Emsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

well dont no abou the brushless speedo but your stock speedo has no cut off in it an for the rolling u need a speedo with drag brake
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

the speed control you mentioned about (lrp) would work, but a touring car/ buggy/ truck esc doesnt work well in a crawler. most have delayed reverse and no drag brake, making it less than ideal. i would recomend a holmes hobbies esc, its specificly built for crawling, does up to 6 cell lipo, has great drag brakes, but will only do brushed motors (brushless isnt needed with a crawler). alternativly a tekin fxr or castle creations sidewinder work well.

for a motor, anything 35t to 65turn is about the range, it really depends on what batteries you run. on 6 cell nimh or 2 cell lipo a 35 turn is gives good wheelspeed. if you go to 3 cell lipo you may want a 45 turn and gear down. more voltage and gearing down will give a combination of better wheelspeed and less amp draw.

the losi stays in place because its a worm gear style axle. worm gears are rather inefficient and take more power to turn, but the advantage is more gear reduction and in turn makes it harder to roll. to fix that with your crawler a speed controller i listed above will have drag brake and thats what stops the truck from rolling.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #4

Thankx for your input. It all makes sence now.
I want to run a 2 cell lipo so a 35 turn would be great.

Thankx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
the speed control you mentioned about (lrp) would work, but a touring car/ buggy/ truck esc doesnt work well in a crawler. most have delayed reverse and no drag brake, making it less than ideal. i would recomend a holmes hobbies esc, its specificly built for crawling, does up to 6 cell lipo, has great drag brakes, but will only do brushed motors (brushless isnt needed with a crawler). alternativly a tekin fxr or castle creations sidewinder work well.

for a motor, anything 35t to 65turn is about the range, it really depends on what batteries you run. on 6 cell nimh or 2 cell lipo a 35 turn is gives good wheelspeed. if you go to 3 cell lipo you may want a 45 turn and gear down. more voltage and gearing down will give a combination of better wheelspeed and less amp draw.

the losi stays in place because its a worm gear style axle. worm gears are rather inefficient and take more power to turn, but the advantage is more gear reduction and in turn makes it harder to roll. to fix that with your crawler a speed controller i listed above will have drag brake and thats what stops the truck from rolling.
Emsley is offline   Reply With Quote