Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Super 300 interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Anybody else have an issue dropping the locker into the case? Seems the unit is about .030" longer than the cutouts in my housings.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #102
RCC Addict

What holes do you have to open up?
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
What holes do you have to open up?
The hole in the center of the ring gear needs opened up to allow the fatter shaft to pass threw it. Easy as pie with stock gears, The HD or OD/UD sets require a little more effort.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #104
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Anybody else have an issue dropping the locker into the case? Seems the unit is about .030" longer than the cutouts in my housings.
mine droped right in
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
mine droped right in
Same here
Phylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #106
0 0

your not using those little gasket deals on the ring gear are you?
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #107
RCC Addict

Nope, no gasket. Tried two different rings, new bearings, etc., if I take the bearing on the ring off the ring hits the housing but with the other bearing off it drops right in. SDS was quick to answer my PM about it last night and is supposed to get some numbers to me here soon. I'm sure it's gonna be taken care of but I wanna use these in a comp tommorrow if I can.

Just got off the phone with SDS, great customer service. The cutouts in my housing seem to be tighter than most, he gave me a couple different ways to make this work.

Last edited by indiana mudcat; 02-27-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
Any plans for a straight axle & locker for rear AX10 axles, also compatible with the various lockout designs already out there?

Narly1
not by me at this point. with berg 3rd gears in the works/along with 3 more styles of 300's for other cars/my own moa. Kinda busy. The other issue is getting 300m in the small sizes. we are barely able to get enough right now to keep building the fronts. And we are buying it at 500- 1000lbs at a time. we just ordered the last of whats available in the Us. There wont be anymore distributed to the US until june or july unless we can step up and order direct from the factory (minimum of 4000lbs).

Quote:
We figured out that his housing is almost .020 narrower then the 8 test subjects that we used to build this product. I have subscribed to this thread now, so if anyone else has issues post up and or pm me.

As for steering, a stock axial cvd will turn 46* or so. after that its almost certain failure. With the 300's u get piece of mind that the pin is approx. 1.7times the size of the Axial pin as well it is able to turn 4* or more farther. Add to that a shaft made of far superior material. Hope everyone enjoys there shafts.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to help me out SDS, I got em in and got a test run in around the house. Pure Beef, I didn't do anything stupid but did drive through a couple binds that woulda made Axial CVD's scream for mercy. I was giggling like a little girl with the lower gear I feel safe to run now doing wheelies and backflips , can't wait to comp in the morning.

Also these take a huge amount of slop out of the truck, there's still a tiny bit of "BTA" wobble but not near as much as before. There's zero slop in the knuckle unlike the Axial dogbone or CVD, nice and tight. Locker slop is completly gone also. Great product.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #110
0 0

a little progress report: my set screw idea didn't work. first course one side worked its way out. the next course the other came out. i put some red locktite on them and they held for the rest of the night.

and no breaks
Old 02-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #111
Rock Crawler

thanks for the update, I would have thought that the set screw idea would have nailed it.(dang plastic)
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #112
0 0

i got to thinking about it and maybe if i had taken the bevel off of the set screw it might hold better. with the bevel i think it was only catching a tread or two. i tried to re tighten before i did the locktite and it just felt stripped.
another though i had was to go all the way through the alum knuckle so i know there is plenty of thread for the screw to catch onto. i might still do this, just need to pick up a tap for 3mm thread
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #113
RCC Addict

My bearings both walked by the end of sundays comp also, I put the loctite outside the bearing and think i should have loctited the bearings to the shafts. I did finally make it through a comp without breaking a CVD though and I beat the snot out of em. Last course was a rock race and I used everything the 18.5 had, took two three foot falls, rammed rocks full throttle, drove through binds, etc. and the 300's just took it.

I did find the next weak link on my truck though, with BTA I've never had a servo horn issue before. On the fourth course I got the steering bound up and twisted my aluminium horn 45 degrees, cracked it down the center and ripped the screw out of it. Super 300's and 8711 FTW I did finish 3 of 5 courses would have finished 4, but clipped the last gate and pointed out on one cause i was running short on time and pinned it and hoped.

Last edited by indiana mudcat; 03-01-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #114

What are super 300s? sorry
rockhound322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound322 View Post
What are super 300s? sorry
Some strong, fat, beefy CVD's made from 300m cro-moly.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #116

O cool sounds sweet to me!
rockhound322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 AM   #117
0 0

Quote:
My bearings both walked by the end of sundays comp also, I put the loctite outside the bearing and think i should have loctited the bearings to the shafts.
yep. i just removed my axles and put a dollop on the axle where the bearing rides. put the bearing over the axle and work it under the bearing.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #118
RCC Addict

Red lock-tite is not keeping mine in, I just don't want to freeze the inside of the bearing.

Other than that they did awsome on their first comp, even when the bearings walked.
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #119
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

What exactly is the issue with the bearings walking?
Which bearing, etc?
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #120
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting Dragon View Post
Red lock-tite is not keeping mine in, I just don't want to freeze the inside of the bearing.

Other than that they did awsome on their first comp, even when the bearings walked.
take the axles out and put a drop on the axle itself. work the bearing back and forth spinning it to make sure it gets under the bearing thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
What exactly is the issue with the bearings walking?
Which bearing, etc?
its the outer axle bearing. not the ones in the knuckles.
there is no flange machined on the axles so red locktite is required so they dont work their way out of the axle housing and up against the CV joint