Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Underground Crawlers FF-4 "Frame Forward" Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
RCC Addict

When are these going to be avalible? price range?
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
RCC Addict

I think the Jato rod ends should be at the axle end of the links. Also, you should clock your rear axle a tiny bit more.

would it be possible to move the front upper link mounting location back on the other side of the "strut" for lack of better words? I think longer upper links allround would help make a very stable truck. We are too used to the normal V shaped chassis idea.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #23
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Jester View Post
When are these going to be avalible? price range?
We will sell no wine, before it's time. I've been working on this pretty hard the last few days. I really hope to run this chassis and get some ideas before I cut the next round of parts. Price-wise, I really want to be under or at $50 shipped in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
I think the Jato rod ends should be at the axle end of the links. Also, you should clock your rear axle a tiny bit more.

would it be possible to move the front upper link mounting location back on the other side of the "strut" for lack of better words? I think longer upper links allround would help make a very stable truck. We are too used to the normal V shaped chassis idea.
I usually run Jato's at both ends on the bottom.....I ran out of links and decided to put the Jato's at the chassis ends. I have noticed considerable wear close to the skid, but since this is still a prototype I'm not too concerned with anything breaking.

Back to it being a prototype.....there will be changes for the next round of side plates. I'm planning on moving the upper front links back. The V-shape will fade a bit more.....not that this is really V-shaped.

I put the rest of this together today.....didn't really get a good run since I needed a charge. I plan to run it for most of tomorrow, so I'll have a better idea of what I want to change before Monday.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #24
TSK
Shelf queen

That's turning out nicely. Although i am not in the market for a new chassis, I'd still like to offer a suggestion.

Altough not quite as asthetically pleasing, i would think radiused upper link hole placement would be beneficial. it would allow your upper link lengths to remain the same length, and still keep the axles clocked in the same angle/position. As it stands right now, moving you uppers up will push the clock angles outward, and moving them down would clock the axles more towards the chassis. I personally would have having to mess with link lengths while i'm trying to tune my squat/anti-squat.

The same concpet could also pass over to the shock mounts. A more radiused hole pattern would allow the ride height to remain the same regardless of shock position.

Just my $0.02
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #25
No idea what I'm doing

I have thought of that also......noticed it with the original F-4 actually. I do want to incorporate a slight radius to the mounting pattern, as well as add more adjustment. Thanks for the input.

toybuilder stopped by yesterday, and we got a little bit of time in on the table. This crawls very similar to my original truck, but it did pick up 2 degrees on our incline board with all other things being equal. Overall, I'm pretty happy so far but want to keep driving it some more. Colorado has been hit with some pretty nice weather, so I'd like to bring it into work with me and try it on the rocks there.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

holy antenna! I do like that chassis though. Very cool!
oldvintageiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Subscribed cause i think one of your chassis' is the next one i purchase. Great ideas always impressed to see what you front range folks can think of.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #28

Very interested in this project. I will definitely purchase when you get them ready. Any new updates? Looks great so far.

Craig,
NVMYRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #29
No idea what I'm doing

Been working on the changes I want in the next rev....I moved both the front and rear upper mounts inward. I also rotated them so that they would not effect the link lengths as much when adjusted. I did the same with the shock mounts and added more adjustment holes. I'd like to add more upper link mount holes, but hate to add too much more material to do that. I'd rather not overbuild it just so I can Swiss Cheese it.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #30
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Been working on the changes I want in the next rev....I moved both the front and rear upper mounts inward. I also rotated them so that they would not effect the link lengths as much when adjusted. I did the same with the shock mounts and added more adjustment holes. I'd like to add more upper link mount holes, but hate to add too much more material to do that. I'd rather not overbuild it just so I can Swiss Cheese it.

The radiused mount locations really make so much more sense
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #31
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
The radiused mount locations really make so much more sense
I agree.....On the next go round with the F-4 Chassis, I plan to rev it as well with the hole changes from this one. It will still be a symmetrical chassis though.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Love the chassis design.. I've got a Venom Creeper that I'm going to swap the chassis and tranny out for Axial parts.

Can you tell me what the length of your bottom links are? I had some custom links made for the creeper by R2J in a 60/40'ish configuration and would like to be able to reuse them if possible.

I'd also take a prototype to play with (of course I'd pay you for it) if you'd be so inclined..
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #33
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwrangler08 View Post
Love the chassis design.. I've got a Venom Creeper that I'm going to swap the chassis and tranny out for Axial parts.

Can you tell me what the length of your bottom links are? I had some custom links made for the creeper by R2J in a 60/40'ish configuration and would like to be able to reuse them if possible.

I'd also take a prototype to play with (of course I'd pay you for it) if you'd be so inclined..
Hey JK......the lower rear links are 5.125" eye to eye and the front lowers are 4.125".

Making links though are one of the easier, cheap things to do, and a great way to custom tune your rig. Regardless of which chassis manufacturer you decide to go with, don't let link building stand in your way

As far as prototyping goes, I find the easiest thing for me is to use people I can deal with face to face. Crawling two rigs side by side with the same chassis, and slightly different setups is easier than trying to work through PM's and emails.

Thanks for your interest though.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Thanks.. I had to give it a try :O) As soon as they are ready.. I'll take one in black.... Got the tranny and dig coming in the mail, so now I just need a chassis and I really like yours..
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #35

Put me down for that blue. The project is really looking great. Although I see what you are talking about with testing, I have several AX-10 lying around in different configs that I can set up and run side by side and give you real world feedback. I can film etc, etc. Just a thought and it would be fun. I can compare apples to apples.

Craig,
NVMYRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
No idea what I'm doing

I was up pretty late last night, and didn't get everything in that I wanted. Tonight, I was able to look at this with fresh eyes, and have decided to go with what you see below........More adjustment on the upper link mounts.

I'm pretty happy with how my first chassis has been running. It's very similar to the F-4, with just a bit more work to get it set up correctly. I was able to clock my rear axle upwards with a slightly longer rear upper link setup. Final links will be made when these plates come off the mill.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #37
No idea what I'm doing

Old 01-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #38
No idea what I'm doing

I got the new plates off the mill today and powdercoated. I went with Yellow this time to match my current body. I should have everything swapped over by tomorrow night, but here it is as it sits right now. This chassis, as well as the original F-4 will be available with your choice of white or black Delrin skidplate.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

i hope you like receiving my paypal, and going to the post office. ill take a black one.
scottb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #40
RCC Addict

are you going to offer predrilled skids?
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote