Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: How I mounted my links in the stock skid plate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
Rock racer?
Yea I basically just stuck some T-Maxx shocks on it and put a 17 turn motor in it and it's been pretty fun. I have more plans for it so I may have to start a thread about it...
tpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

I really like this mod. Good work!
MexicanMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #43

Sorry for being a noob, but whats the big deal about this. Whats the benefit of having your links inside as opposed to outside? I was considering doing this but its a lot of work. Is it worth it? sorry for hijacking.
noobdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #44
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdude View Post
Sorry for being a noob, but whats the big deal about this. Whats the benefit of having your links inside as opposed to outside? I was considering doing this but its a lot of work. Is it worth it? sorry for hijacking.
It's so your link ends don't hang up when the side of the chassis slides along the rocks. Basically, the smoother you can get the underside (and sides) of the chassis, the better it will work, and not catch on any pointed rocks, etc. If you look at most comp chassis', the links will be inside, and button or countersunk screws will be used to clean up the lower sides of the chassis.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
It's so your link ends don't hang up when the side of the chassis slides along the rocks. Basically, the smoother you can get the underside (and sides) of the chassis, the better it will work, and not catch on any pointed rocks, etc. If you look at most comp chassis', the links will be inside, and button or countersunk screws will be used to clean up the lower sides of the chassis.
I'd say the bigger benefit is the improved steering due to the links being moved in.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #46
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
I'd say the bigger benefit is the improved steering due to the links being moved in.
It definately helps in that area too, but that's only one part of improved steering. Wheel offset, shock mods/location, servo location and steering link setup also play a part.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #47

dose it give u more flex iv put a tube chassis on mine new shocks droop setup was wondering how to get more flex will this mod help with that

Last edited by mid_tn_crawling; 03-10-2010 at 01:19 PM.
mid_tn_crawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

No, it doesn't give more flex (it doesn't hurt either). The thing that limits flex is the link ends. The link ends can only twist so far on the balls. The ends on each lower link must be lined up with each other to get max flex. If they're not, one link will bind in one direction and limit flex. I found this on mine, wondering why one shock was not fully compressing when crawling.

In the process I also found that there needs to be a champher on the outboard side of the cutouts in the skid plate to make clearance for the link ends. If not done the links rub heavily there at full flex, it forced some of my links to come off the balls. I also put the flange on the ball to the inside to help keep them on if it gets a bump.

So line up yer link ends and champher the cutout, it'll flex nice and smooth and just as much as stock.

Cheers.

Edit: Ever wonder why Axial put those limiters on the shocks? Obviously because the links don't allow that much motion. Remove the limiters, it will bind.

Do you really want that much flex anyhow? Sometimes, 70* is too much, the truck develops a mind of it's own.

Last edited by Terranaut; 03-11-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

Default better screws

i done the same thing except i didn't use the bulky headed screws i used traxxas cap screws which have a small head and are the perfect length they are fine thread but they are just small enough to thread in the holes i have had these on my ax10 rtc and used them when i got an integy chassis and the have proven to be plenty strong.. plus i put my links in the outer holes and the screws stick out of the plate like dowel pins on a 1:1 transmission and motor so that really helps the strength. the best thing is you can still use these if you want to put them through your links with a nut.u just need a longer screw from traxxas these are what i used-http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT78&P=OW
these are some longer- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT78&P=OW
longer-http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHFN0&P=OW
notice the heads have smoother edges so they wouldn't hang up as much...that's part of the reason for the inboard linkhttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFN0&P=OWs
charleshermanpipesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshermanpipesjr View Post
i done the same thing except i didn't use the bulky headed screws i used traxxas cap screws which have a small head and are the perfect length they are fine thread but they are just small enough to thread in the holes i have had these on my ax10 rtc and used them when i got an integy chassis and the have proven to be plenty strong.. plus i put my links in the outer holes and the screws stick out of the plate like dowel pins on a 1:1 transmission and motor so that really helps the strength. the best thing is you can still use these if you want to put them through your links with a nut.u just need a longer screw from traxxas these are what i used-http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT78&P=OW
these are some longer- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT78&P=OW
longer-http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHFN0&P=OW
notice the heads have smoother edges so they wouldn't hang up as much...that's part of the reason for the inboard linkhttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFN0&P=OWs
WOW button head screws. What will they think of next!
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post
WOW button head screws. What will they think of next!
if you dont like my 2 cents dont read my post ah.. i was simply stating what i did as opposed to what he did the screws he used stick out a lil bit more with tenth scale every fraction matters
charleshermanpipesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

instead of using those 4 screws into the plastic, run them straight through the chassis plates and use 2 sets of nuts and bolts to tie them into the chassis plates .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

I ran my stock axial skid like that also but instead of using course screws I used 3mm screws that went through the chassis skid and link with a nylock nut. Over time the course screws work their way loose in the plastic.
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #54
I joined the Band!

Can you just use the Skid plate from the SCX10 on the stock AX10 chassis???
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #55

this is how i saw to do it and i did it this way on my ax10. i also have the droop setup.
Jordan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan41 View Post
this is how i saw to do it and i did it this way on my ax10. i also have the droop setup.
You running any internal springs?
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #57

oh ya i got internal springs. wouldnt be as good without them.
Jordan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan41 View Post
oh ya i got internal springs. wouldnt be as good without them.
jordan ... itīs the stock ones modded ? if so , how to mod mines ?

sry. poor english ... from portugal
zmaxroad is offline   Reply With Quote