Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: too many mods..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #1

Default too many mods..?

hey guys, anyone else thinking that less is more?

i have added almost every conceivable "mod" and after all the screwing around trying to get each different part to work with the next part i have come to the conclusion that we dont need to buy every single "upgrade". anyone know what i mean? seems to me a little of the old "work smarter, not harder" annalogy would come in real handy sometimes.
overland_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I know what you mean. I did that with real cars and it cost a lot and not getting any faster (AutoX). Ever since I start RC car last year, my intention is to get myself away from real cars to save some money. Now I'm going crazy trying to buy every rc, parts, radios out there. :?
EvoKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

True to some point. When I first got the AX10 I did not plunge in the mod mania, being somewhat happy with it. Slowly I did this and that and the other only to find out that at some point my heavily modded rig performed worse than the nearly stock I had in the begining. Now I have got used to driving it and tuneing it, so it seems that the rig suddenly went 10 steps up.

It is practice that matters most, then the parts.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It is more driver than rig. Practice, practice, practice! Then upgrade when something doesn't work. There is tons of tuning to do with a stock rig for little dollars. But at some point the rig will start holding ya back and then the fun begins!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I just focused on a stout drivetrain first.Second better steering,and set-up.And third more power!!!!
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #6

Im in the same spot now...but realizing that MOA might be the way to go...
5p3ktrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Just getting started and i am trying to keep myself from doing this. I already did several mods, but all were low cost or free. Now I have not even really crawled it and thinking of what to buy to make it better. I keep having to tell myself to run it and then fix what breaks, but part of me says...I dont want it to break so I need to upgrade everything.
HARDTRAILZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

oldhippie and MadForce hit it right on the head, Practice makes you a better crawler.

Having said that there can be too much modding going on if you arent testing afterwards. If you make a change or a mod, go make a run. Take notes on how it performs. If you dont like it, change it back!

There is also a difference between upgrading and modding. Theres nothing wrong with upgrading to aluminum knuckles. Some upgrades are worth it over others. I personally think Traxxas shafts are the best upgrade I have done!

And about MOA.......those are for ppl that cant make thier shafty perform!
J/K they are very capable crawlers.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #9

i loved my rigs as it was pretty much stock. for about three months... then i did my first comp with it back in october. since then ive dumped three grand in tryin all different set ups and a ton of broken parts. come to find out... all i needed was a set of inner springs, and heavy oil... and. alot of drive time.. my rig is a full on comp rig... and im still tryin to catch up with whaut its capable of doing.
shafty4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
And about MOA.......those are for ppl that cant make thier shafty perform!
I was just about to say the same thing. Those that give up on shafties after a short amount of time aren't willing to put the drive time in to make themselves better.

Drive like crazy, take the time to read up on suspension tech, learn what tweaks do what, and both the driver and a stock chassis'd Axial will do great things and go far. Once you feel you can't drive it any better, then start upgrading. Do all this honestly and you'll have a well built truck and be a well rounded driver.

Throwing mods at a rig won't make you any better of a driver.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

3 grand i call b.s. on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafty4life View Post
i loved my rigs as it was pretty much stock. for about three months... then i did my first comp with it back in october. since then ive dumped three grand in tryin all different set ups and a ton of broken parts. come to find out... all i needed was a set of inner springs, and heavy oil... and. alot of drive time.. my rig is a full on comp rig... and im still tryin to catch up with whaut its capable of doing.
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hende View Post
3 grand i call b.s. on that.
Either way its not real impressive.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Less is more too many mods can ruin a rig. I've seen a lot of 1:1's where people have slapped every mod on under the sun and ended up with a real mess that doesn't really work. Quite often I think people get so many mods just so they can have bragging rights on having the most mods.

Practice makes perfect !!
stutheitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
TSK
Shelf queen

I think there needs to be clarification on whether a mod is "performance" or "durability" based.

Some "performance" based upgrades would be:
- a stronger servo
- a high performance hand wound motor
- better tires
- cvd's (most of which, IMO lower durability but the availble increase in steering angle is worth it to me)

Some "durability" based upgrades:
- most aluminum upgrades that replace plastic pieces
- a slipper clutch

The only item that i think fits in both categories are:
- high clearamce steering knuckles

So really, if you are looking to upgrade your rig's "performance quotia" no amount of aluminum "durability" upgrades will get you there.

Oh, and making a handful of "performance" mods at once it probably not a good idea. Do one at a time and take note of the difference(s) it has made. If you do something like switch from a 55t lathe to a handwound 35t AND do a gearing change AND switch over to 3s from a 7 cell split pack, How do you know what really made the difference?

Last edited by TSK; 02-02-2010 at 12:29 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
So really, if you are looking to upgrade your rig's "performance quotia" no amount of aluminum "durability" upgrades will get you there.
I think that's a really broad statement. There are plenty of aluminum parts that would benifit both durability and performance.

What it comes down to is if you don't know what you're buying or why you're buying it, keep your money. Build like every dollar counts and nothing can be wasted. There is enough information on this site to prevent anyone with half a brain and a basic ability to spell and read from ever saying "I didn't know" or "why won't this do what I want it to" after a purchase. Spend the time and do the work. No pile of parts, no matter how expensive or shiny, will do it for you.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

My list goes

1.Driving, learn you car and what it can do
2.Upgrade if it breaks or there is a known problem with that part
3.Read, learn what makes it flex and why and shock placement and why.
4.weight
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
My list goes

1.Driving, learn you car and what it can do
2.Upgrade if it breaks or there is a known problem with that part
3.Read, learn what makes it flex and why and shock placement and why.
4.weight
Bingo!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Bingo!

And im just a newbie
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
And im just a newbie

Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #20

cant speak to comping it yet. but have doing some mods/upgrades like lowering center of gravity, tires count don;t since we are all using your experience. dont me to jump anyones toes, but with out your help some of us would just be spinning our wheels & going nowhere fast. but testing upgrades & mods should always in the end fit your driving style. right?

Ziggy
ziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote