Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Jim's Mayhem LS2.0 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Jim's Mayhem LS2.0 Build - Added video

Well I got my Mayhem LS2.0 chassis last night. I bought it from another member here on RCC. Great deal and a beautiful chassis.

The chassis came with some 102mm 5/16 delrin lower links and some aluminum ones of the same length. I'm going to keep the delrin lowers and cut some new delrin ones for the uppers. I just mocked it up with the aluminum ones I had (way too long) just to get a feel how the chassis looks.

The chassis side plate has a real nice cut out which allows the motor and spur gear plenty of breathing room. There are ample shock and link mounting holes so I'll try a few different combinations to see what works best. The skid plate was already drilled by the previous owner and the placement seems perfect to me. The spur gear ends up as far forward you can go without getting the dremmel involved. My DNA Dig fit with the servo mounted below the plate so it's nice and low.

I plan on getting it in a jig tonight and getting some new uppers in there. After that, I have a Mamba Max & LD Racing BTA to set up. I've got some Axial high clearance knuckles, aluminum C's and cvd's on order. Driveshafts and 3s lipo to follow after that.

I also just stopped in on Joe at EEM here on LI (great guy and awesome machining skill) and he's in the process of cutting some new Aluminum beadlocks and rings at his shop. I wasn't planning on buying them but I have a weak spot.... fresh milled aluminum. I held one in one hand and dug into my pocket with the other. I should have them in a few weeks.

Hope you enjoy and I'm open to any suggestions!
Attached Images

Last edited by vincentvega; 03-10-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added Video
vincentvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

looking good i almost went with this chassis over my swx
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverkiller1 View Post
looking good i almost went with this chassis over my swx
Thanks!

That's pretty funny because I almost built an swx myself. It seems like a proven design that just works well.

I've never seen the two side-by-side but I'd guess that the ls2.o skid is slightly wider but I do like the fact that I can get a full size dig servo down low on the stock mount. Can't wait to get the links cut and dial it in.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default Added Mamba Max

I picked up and installed the Mamba Max. Castle Creation just gets it. It was real easy to set up and it works like it should.
I decided on the Mamba Max while I was at the WRAM show here in NY over the weekend and met some guys from CC there. They have some really impressive stuff on the market and they also had some of their own pet project cars on the bench. A brushless Baja with a tomato juice sized motor and more cells than I could count had me drooling. I mentioned that I had a MM Pro ordered for another project and the rep pulled a cc link out of his bag and handed it to me gratis. Now that's cool!

I uploaded the current firmware, changed a few settings and I was good to go. The drag brake setting "213% Crawler Full On" is just awesome. It holds on the steepest of inclines and does not budge. It's going to take a little getting use to as I nearly flipped it letting off the trottle too fast.

Here are some pics. The last one is the show in Westchester.

Next up.. some new delrin links.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Lookin good.
redxz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #6

Good work man Looks good!
rockhound322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default New delrin links

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound322 View Post
Good work man Looks good!
Thanks man

I cut some new 5/16 delrin links. I was going to try and use the lowers I had but I didn't like the wheelbase and pinion angle I was coming up with. I used Rig Rockers specs on his build thread....Perfect! (Thank you!)

I used my dremel and cut-off wheel to get the lenths. Drilled them with a #40 bit and used some Jato rod ends. I bent the rears with by heating them lightly with a map torch and bending them over a 2x4 I had cut with a 30 degree angle.

I ended up needing about 3mm longer links on the rear uppers due to the location of my dig and dig servo. My links had to be mounted on the outside of the plates. I just used the stock angled rod ends and a 3mm spacer between the r.e. and the frame and I was good to go.

I ended up with 2 3/4" belly height with the Axial Comp Shocks. She stands on her side with no problem.

Still waiting on some new Axial high steer knuckles, c's and cvd's. I'm going to start the body while I wait for the mailman...
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I used Rig Rockers specs on his build thread....Perfect! (Thank you!)
Thanks for the thanks! Glad I could help

Looks good! Bet it will be a Killer Crawler

I just flipped the shocks upside down on both my LS2.0 and VP Incision to lower the center of gravity too. Works great. Always thought there might be a performance loss, but works perfectly. You may want to try it too. All the bergs are that way.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
Thanks for the thanks! Glad I could help

Looks good! Bet it will be a Killer Crawler

I just flipped the shocks upside down on both my LS2.0 and VP Incision to lower the center of gravity too. Works great. Always thought there might be a performance loss, but works perfectly. You may want to try it too. All the bergs are that way.
I'll try that out! What oil weight do you run in your shocks? I'm running 35 with 55 in the left rear. It's amazing how little torque twist she has now. I was thinking of trying 55 & maybe 85 in the l.r.

The snow here is keeping me in the shop so I'm going to ge started on the body today. I have a 72 chevy crawler body I started to trim and I just ordered some of Gunner's posts.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega View Post
What oil weight do you run in your shocks? I'm running 35 with 55 in the left rear.
I put 35 in front and 55 in rear. No problems with torque twist. I think the link geometry is spot on.

Hope you don't get too much snow
Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Did you install the underdrive gearset in the rear? That completely killed any breath of torque twist that may have been left in my LS2.0
Old 03-06-2010, 04:26 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like my next purchase.
Is there more than 1 option?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default Pics from today

I mounted the Range Rover Defender body back temporarily. I got some wheel time and it performs better than I expected. Articulation was super smooth and there were way fewer hang-ups. The Maba Max drag brake really makes a difference. See the pic of it hanging with the drag brake only.The "crawler full on" setting really works..

Got some vids coming later.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You only want to underdrive the rear, not overdrive the front.
The part# is AX30402 and gear ratio is 43/13

Your rig looks cool hanging off the bricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega View Post
Sounds like my next purchase.
Is there more than 1 option?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Default Some Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
You only want to underdrive the rear, not overdrive the front.
The part# is AX30402 and gear ratio is 43/13

Your rig looks cool hanging off the bricks
Thanks for the part #. I'll pick one up and give it a shot.

Here's some video I shot in the yard. The one where the camera is moving may give you motion sickness as it was my 5-year old "helpin Daddy out".
Not bad for a kindergardener though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUcxxcKx1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNvE7S5KKXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fXG4rY3fHA

Got most of the parts together to set up my BTA steering. I'm going to see if I can get that done over the next few days.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default EEM Beadlocks came in yesterday.

Well I got home yesterday and found a box from East End Machining waiting for me......My new wheels.

My first impression was...Wow!. I was at EEM a few weeks back and got to see Joe's shop and how he makes his parts. These wheels start out as a block aluminum and Joe crafts them into these beauties.

I drilled two 1/8" venting holes through to the back of each wheel. The rears ended up at 8.1 ounces (perfect for me) with Rover whites and no additional weight. I weighted the fronts to get to 13.4 oz each.

I'm hoping to get them out on the rocks this weekend but the weather forecast here looks gloomy.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

like those bed lockss
RockGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
EEM
Rock Stacker

Looks good Jim!!
EEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEM View Post
Looks good Jim!!

Thanks Joe!

I'm going to get your (now my ) SNG chassis started soon too. I have a bench full of parts waiting for that one too. I'm just waiting on my Punk dig now.