Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX3E and DNA dig 3rd channel issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Spektrum DX3E and DNA dig 3rd channel issues

Today I finally got my DNA dig installed with a mini servo and something sure doesn't seem right. First of all when I occasionally turn on my truck my dig servo appears to be making a terrible grinding sound. This appears to be happening when its binding. Ocassionally when it is trying to engage it also makes this same grinding noise. I first tried to set it up as a 3 position, and now I am learning that it has to be a 2 position setup. Anyway I tried setting the endpoints and I am just not getting the kindof confidence that I am getting the endpoints right. For instance every now and again it does not appear to engage back in 4wd fully and it occassionally appears to be having to search hard to lock. Any ideas?
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You can set it up as a 3 position it took me a little bit of time to get my sons set up but now it works great.
See65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

my friend had a problem with his dig was hard to look in or unlock take it out and grease the bushing with wd-40 play with the slide abit and make sure everything works and re set everything and try it should work
NorCalScaleCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Today I finally got my DNA dig installed with a mini servo and something sure doesn't seem right. First of all when I occasionally turn on my truck my dig servo appears to be making a terrible grinding sound. This appears to be happening when its binding. Ocassionally when it is trying to engage it also makes this same grinding noise. I first tried to set it up as a 3 position, and now I am learning that it has to be a 2 position setup. Anyway I tried setting the endpoints and I am just not getting the kindof confidence that I am getting the endpoints right. For instance every now and again it does not appear to engage back in 4wd fully and it occassionally appears to be having to search hard to lock. Any ideas?

I would take your end points back to zero. Then from there adjust one side at a time. You want to adjust the end pont just to the point that the servo starts to buzz then take it back one. If it is buzzing alot you are going to burn up your servo. Another recommendation would be to go to a full size servo like a Hitec 645. When I was running my Axial my DNA Dig shifted like butter. The DX3E I believe is a 3 channel so you should be able to run 4WD, Freewheel and Dig.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would take your DNA apart and relube everything. I have the same radio and I'm using the 225 mini servo. I also have it set up as a 3 pos switch. After a relube, it took a few tries with the set up both with the linkage and the endpoints to get the dig working smoothly.
sdcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default Setting my AUX trim at 0

I finally took a look at what was going on and talked to the guy who sold me my dig. How in the heck do I set my trim at 0? I unbolted the servo arm, and every darn time I power up my radio my servo does a little song and dance? I checked on the spektrum site and got nothing as far as setting the trim on the aux servo.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

what type of servo you have is it in good condition
NorCalScaleCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
0 0

if its grinding ide say the servo might be bad/stripped internally.

get a new servo if that is the case. i ruined a non metal gear 225 setting up my dig.
best thing to do is leave the arm on the servo, leave the linkage hooked to the dig only. play with the settings for the dig. when you try the different positions put the linkage next to the servo arm and see where you are. or put the dig in the position and trim the 3rd channel to the linkage
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Default I am not so sure I am being clear about this.

When I turn on the truck with the radio on, the servo does a full rotation out, and back. It is during this that it is grinding. Something on my setup on my radio is wrong but I do not know what it is. I was told by a guy at a hobby shop that I needed to TRIM the channel first. How do I do that?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
0 0

i think that is the radio that is why your servo does the full rotation thing first. mine does the same thing. i cant really remember how they are set up but i know you'll need to mess with both knobs to set the endpoints for the 3rd channel. all the way clockwise is full throw and the opposite the other way. heres a pic of mine for reference
if you can get it close but not perfect just adjust the linkage to where it needs to be. there is no center trim on the 3rd channel
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Default Thanks of the pic.

The full throw is not at the limits though. Mine does this and it goes the full distance and is definitely grinding gears in the servo when it does this. It is making me insane.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
0 0

what dig servo do you have in there?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default Got it

Alright for those of you who may be having this problem i figured it out. To set the trim to 0 on a dx3e you have to rebind with everything plugged in. I just did this and the constant full rotation of the servo trying to find failsafe mode is no longer stripping out my servo!! Servo is still fried but at least i fixed it so far. I am about to check it out and install a new servo. Also posted this on the other thread i started in a fit of rage at 1:00 last night.