Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion

I had bought my son the Rock Racer thinking since he has a thing about speed he would like it more... but I was wrong...

What (aside from springs and front locker) do you need to change on the rock racer to make it comparible to the RTR Crawler?
Orgnoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #2

New links thats one of the biggest things.And upgrade the tires or at least drill air holes in the wheels and cut the stock foams.
fullmonte77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgnoi1 View Post
I had bought my son the Rock Racer thinking since he has a thing about speed he would like it more... but I was wrong...

What (aside from springs and front locker) do you need to change on the rock racer to make it comparible to the RTR Crawler?
Keep the delrin/plastic links but change out the front steering links to aluminum ones. Soft springs up front and medium in the rears. Get some Rock Claws (tires) and vent the rims with a drill. You might also want to pick up a new body for it.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
Keep the delrin/plastic links but change out the front steering links to aluminum ones. Soft springs up front and medium in the rears. Get some Rock Claws (tires) and vent the rims with a drill. You might also want to pick up a new body for it.
I agree with you on the tires,but the plastic links on the rock racer are junk.They flex way to much and don't hold there shape they bend and then don't straigten back out.That was the first thing i changed on my rock racer.Also get rid of the servo saver.
fullmonte77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I guess I am on the right track... somewhat...

I already have rock claws on it... vented, clipped the foam and weighted the fronts.... changed over to metal links.... the springs I got are all soft... didnt get mediums... but I am sure that part would be fine...
Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

change the motor to a 55 or a 45 turn instead of the 27 turn
crf250x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Don't forget to check the gearing ratio. I think the racer is higher.
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Sorry forgot about that... went to the crawling gear it came with... but one of the other options we are looking into is a new motor... just wont be right away...
Old 03-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

well sounds like your on the right track by getting tires, metal links and vented rims, but the motor is going to be the biggest thing, and they arnt all that expensive, you can find a machin wound 55 or 45 turn for about 30 bucks, it will really slow the truck down and make it a better crawler, , other then that your already on par with the rtc
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Default Rock Racer Change

I purchased a used rock racer from a guy and basically at this point the only thing origonal on the truck is the chasis, axles and the front servo. Everything and I mean everything else is not stock. Email me if you want my ideas of things done to try and improve the setup for free.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote