Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New Battery /servo Mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanine38 View Post
Should I wrap the individual cells if I am going to put them side to side?
Only if there is no covering on the cells. I've seen some cells that are just metal cased, those would need to be wrapped. Short version....just don't let any metal touch anything. If in doubt, wrap it.

The 3 bare cells(in your other thread) will need to be wrapped.

Last edited by PsychoCrawler; 03-20-2010 at 04:29 PM.
PsychoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Default ...

I'd be scrapping the Nimh's.
Its so big and heavy. If you go to hobbycity.com you can get Turnigy 1000mAh lipos for about $9 and buy a budget lipo charger.
axeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeten View Post
Its so big and heavy. If you go to hobbycity.com you can get Turnigy 1000mAh lipos for about $9 and buy a budget lipo charger.
What kind of time (roughly) on a stock system will 1000mah give me?
Kanine38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
Suck it up!

Quote:
Actually, I'd check out valuehobby.com. They are about as cheap as hobby city but located in the US so you don't have to wait a week or more to get your stuff. They've also got a $3.99 flat shipping rate on any size order.

I run 1300mah 30c 3s's in my comp rig and get 30-45 minutes of fairly hard driving with a 14t Puller motor. They cost about $18.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I get about half an hour i think. i havent had a close look at the watch. I am running a 45t tekin fxr combo. I do have 1300's but they are a tiny bit too wide for my setup.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeten View Post
I agree, 1000 - 1500mAh lipos are considerably cheaper than the equivalent nimh. I'll be doing the same thing, however; I don't have it in the budget right now as I spent the money on a nice esc and motor. 2 batteries, and a charger looking about $50 if do it everything form ebay and wait 6-50 weeks for everything to get here from China. I did have everything I needed to chop up some nimh stick packs.
cheap saddle pack

One saddle will go flat on the front axle, and the other at the front of the oe battery tray. Will improve my cog dramatically. I tried all 6 cells on the front axle and it was too heavy, did a catwalk the wrong way down an incline, before rolling and stripping the servo horn. I may extend the leads between and do one saddle on each axle, haven't decided.

The spot welds will just pull off, and then sand down the little pricks standing up, or you can cut the tin inbetween the cells. I removed the tin strips and sanded, my cells were bare - so they got a strip of paper around them. If you can go with lipos by all means they're a fantastical idea! If you can't yet don't be afraid to rip something apart, lots of people here can and will help you if you get stuck!
Formiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I guess I need to go to Lipo's. I will also need a charger w/ a balancer, Lipo cut off and.... what ? Anything else?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formiga View Post
I agree, 1000 - 1500mAh lipos are considerably cheaper than the equivalent nimh. I'll be doing the same thing, however; I don't have it in the budget right now as I spent the money on a nice esc and motor. 2 batteries, and a charger looking about $50 if do it everything form ebay and wait 6-50 weeks for everything to get here from China. I did have everything I needed to chop up some nimh stick packs.
cheap saddle pack

One saddle will go flat on the front axle, and the other at the front of the oe battery tray. Will improve my cog dramatically. I tried all 6 cells on the front axle and it was too heavy, did a catwalk the wrong way down an incline, before rolling and stripping the servo horn. I may extend the leads between and do one saddle on each axle, haven't decided.

The spot welds will just pull off, and then sand down the little pricks standing up, or you can cut the tin inbetween the cells. I removed the tin strips and sanded, my cells were bare - so they got a strip of paper around them. If you can go with lipos by all means they're a fantastical idea! If you can't yet don't be afraid to rip something apart, lots of people here can and will help you if you get stuck!
6-50 weeks.... you must live on the moon
I'm in Australia and the longest i have ever waited for China stuff is 2 weeks. US takes 2-3 depending on time of year
Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #29
0 0

Quote:
I guess I need to go to Lipo's. I will also need a charger w/ a balancer, Lipo cut off and.... what ? Anything else?
correct.

here's a cheap charger ive read people on here have used and like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

you can either buy a lipo cutoff such as
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXPGM8&P=8

ide recommend just getting crawler specific esc with a lipo cutoff built in. if you go 3s you'll need a BEC too. it isnt mandatory with 2s. and lipo batteries i think are very cheap. for the cost of 1 good NiMH 5000 MAH battery you can get a few good 1100 lipo packs
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
correct.

here's a cheap charger ive read people on here have used and like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

you can either buy a lipo cutoff such as
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXPGM8&P=8

ide recommend just getting crawler specific esc with a lipo cutoff built in. if you go 3s you'll need a BEC too. it isnt mandatory with 2s. and lipo batteries i think are very cheap. for the cost of 1 good NiMH 5000 MAH battery you can get a few good 1100 lipo packs
Yeah, I'll need to start budgeting for that. I'm looking at a Tekin FXR esc with a 45T motor on 3s. I appreciate the links.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCrawler View Post
Only if there is no covering on the cells. I've seen some cells that are just metal cased, those would need to be wrapped. Short version....just don't let any metal touch anything. If in doubt, wrap it.

The 3 bare cells(in your other thread) will need to be wrapped.
What's best for wrapping individual cells.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
What's best for wrapping individual cells.
A single layer of electrical tape works good. Some people will wrap them in paper or thin cardboard, others use heat shrink tubing. It's just personal preference really, any of those methods will work just as good.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A single layer of electrical tape works good. Some people will wrap them in paper or thin cardboard, others use heat shrink tubing. It's just personal preference really, any of those methods will work just as good.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

One other thought, if you plan on getting your truck wet, don't use paper to wrap the cells. It'll fall apart and could cause a short.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
One other thought, if you plan on getting your truck wet, don't use paper to wrap the cells. It'll fall apart and could cause a short.
I gave up. My soldering iron isn't hot enough and I eff'ed the cells up with gobs of solder and prob overheated them. Oh well.

Thanks for all the advise.