Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Servo Saver for AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Servo Saver for AX10

Do you guys know of any servo savers that would work well on an Axial AX10. The stock one that came in the kit was working fine but the splines finally stripped. I may just get another stocker, but was just wondering if there were any other servo savers that will provide enough steering throw and be a little stronger. Thanks
tpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpat View Post
Do you guys know of any servo savers that would work well on an Axial AX10. The stock one that came in the kit was working fine but the splines finally stripped. I may just get another stocker, but was just wondering if there were any other servo savers that will provide enough steering throw and be a little stronger. Thanks
Kimbrough stuff is pretty strong...But most people just ditch the servo saver and put on a metal servo horn.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The best servo saver is a heavy duty plastic output arm. It gets the job done, but should break before it strips the gears. Now, I dunno what a set of titanium gears costs for a HS7950 but I'll bet it's more than the spare arms that came with it in the box!

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Dump the saver, get a Robitronics or Racer's Edge horn, and start breaking Ti gears...

gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

i hated my stock servo saver, im using one of the solid plastic ones from axial because it was in one of the parts trees that came with my rtc
PineapplAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I was looking for a servo saver cause my Axial is built to go fast instead of crawl so I will check out the Kimbrough ones as suggested. Thats gotta suck breaking Ti gears!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Kimbrough part number 124 is the one for heavy gas (nitro) trucks (revo savvy, mgt, etc). It would be the one to use if you are set on using it.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

x2 i use th eplastic that came in the kit.... breaks before my servo... servo saver limit the steering...
RockGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I think you'll find the arms from the kit are very soft, they're known for slipping on the spline. Probably won't break though, they're too soft. An arm from any decent name brand servo is the best bet, my LHS gives 'em away.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Do you guys know of any servo savers that would work well on an Axial AX10.

Futaba part # S9157
Jeep-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I wish I had a servo that could hold up to the abuse! I just have a Futaba S3305 MG servo on it that I want to last as long as possible. Again, this AX10 is built for speed so that's why I want a servo saver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Kimbrough part number 124 is the one for heavy gas (nitro) trucks (revo savvy, mgt, etc). It would be the one to use if you are set on using it.
I'll check this one out. Anyone know the dimensions?

Thanks guys...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #12

local hobby shop should have some alum upgrades
MadDog986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I dont use a servo saver.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I was looking for a servo saver cause my Axial is built to go fast instead of crawl so I will check out the Kimbrough ones as suggested. Thats gotta suck breaking Ti gears!

Besides Dicky, can anyone else on here read? 1 maybe 2 good informative post out of 12. Come on he is asking about a servo saver, not what you run, or what he should be running.

I would be in the market for a good crawler servo saver too. (thats why I was reading the thread) I dont like trashing servos just practicing. (been though 3 cs-150s, 1 645mg)
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
Come on he is asking about a servo saver, not what you run, or what he should be running.

I would be in the market for a good crawler servo saver too. (thats why I was reading the thread) I dont like trashing servos just practicing. (been though 3 cs-150s, 1 645mg)

I think that a servo saver is not desirable with a crawler-- I want it to steer, not flex.

I've beat the crap out of my 3 Futaba servos (S9157) for a year-- two of them are on a Super with 6"+ tires-- For the $$ they 4 servos you mention, I'm sure you can pick up a S9156. I've seen them for $$100 shipped in the RCC classifieds.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
Besides Dicky, can anyone else on here read? 1 maybe 2 good informative post out of 12. Come on he is asking about a servo saver, not what you run, or what he should be running.

I went ahead and ordered the Kimbrough #124 so when I get it I will post up how I like it. But again...it's not a crawler so thats why I got a servo saver to soak up all the bumps and jumps.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #17

What is the purpose of the servo saver? I just broke mine last weekend and the LHS told me not to worry about it and just sold me a metal horn.
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
What is the purpose of the servo saver? I just broke mine last weekend and the LHS told me not to worry about it and just sold me a metal horn.
If you have a servo with plastic toothed gears, it will help keep the teeth from being stripped off when the steering system gets a sudden shock (from hitting something/taking a hard roll).

The servo saver flexes & takes the shock instead.

With metal gears, they are not really needed. I run a metal geared servo, on my brushess RC10, without a servo saver.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-Power View Post
I think that a servo saver is not desirable with a crawler-- I want it to steer, not flex.

I've beat the crap out of my 3 Futaba servos (S9157) for a year-- two of them are on a Super with 6"+ tires-- For the $$ they 4 servos you mention, I'm sure you can pick up a S9156. I've seen them for $$100 shipped in the RCC classifieds.

All the cs150 were under warrenty work... and I got them to upgrade me to a cs170 with ti gears. Already stripped my metal horn, and not the gears, so I guess this one is going to hold up. Going to run plastic horn now.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote