Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Underground Crawlers Fastback chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
They seem fine. I intentionally dropped it from over my head on to concrete upside down and it just bounced
nice! you sure you don't work for G-Made???

also another thing i was thinking about at the mounting points where the top meets the bottom, well, at least in your application here, was rubber grommets. somthing with an 3mm inner opening, and maybe desigined to fit in a 4 or 5 mm hole. put them in the holes of the top half. then the rubber mounting will absorb a bit of the shock.

granted, this would only work if someone mounted their shock and links all to the lower half, though....

just another thought....
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

There is no place to mount shocks on the lower half, all the links are mounted to the lower half. It seems durable enough, I will find out for certain at SSRCC #4 on Saturday In Tampa Bay

When this hits production I am hoping someone like Fishmaxx or KrawlerKonceptz will make some nice panels and skins for it I just needed it legal for Saturday.

Last edited by DickyT; 06-17-2010 at 02:13 PM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
oh, nice. well, in that case, since the upper part doesn't support anything structurally except itself, then lightening it up by using lighter materials should be no issue at all.

right now, from the sounds of things, the "weak point" structurally sounds like the 4 bolts that hold the top to the bottom....

The tensile, and shear strength of bolts in general will never make the bolt a weak point the way it is installed on this chassis.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
The tensile, and shear strength of bolts in general will never make the bolt a weak point the way it is installed on this chassis.
Yeah.. the delrin will crack before the bolt breaks.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #45
No idea what I'm doing

Pretty exciting Richard!! Glad your getting some time in before the weekend.

Post some pics of you in your new crawling clothes
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Pretty exciting Richard!! Glad your getting some time in before the weekend.

Post some pics of you in your new crawling clothes
Not gonna happen. No one needs to see my fat ass in work gear, bad enough when it shows up in a comp vid

The rig runs great so far Juan, seems plenty durable, though I am not going to do the drop test again, my servo and battery took a good shot on the first.

I am leaving work in 10 mins to go run packs until dark, I have tools to make any adjustments it needs and a couple bottles of water (it's 95 and humid) , good to go
Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Rained out. I got about 15 minutes of crawling in during as light drizzle between squalls. On wet rock the rig performed far past expectations. I was able to get up, over, across, down, etc about 90% of the hard stuff that I tried at the park.

I'm going to run it as it is on Saturday. Next week I will do the cross members, replace the 12 gauge extension from esc to battery with 16 gauge, and see where else I might be able to trim some weight from.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Default visual tricks.

Impressive build. Make us shafty FF-4ers proud this weekend.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

looking good mrdickyt hurry up on the testing so I can buy one of these units!!!
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerrc View Post
looking good mrdickyt hurry up on the testing so I can buy one of these units!!!
State comp in Tampa Bay tomorrow, I'll be driving up in a few hours, I have a few things to wrap up at work and then to quote Willie Nelson.... On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again....
Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Since I could not get any video on the rocks do to rain last night, I did a little urban crawl testing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDZ473oaOg
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Looks great and you've gotten all the essentials bec, dig mounted in the chassis. Would it be possible to see a few more shots of the equipment placement and fit?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

When I redo the top cross members next week I will have to take top panels off for that, and will get some pics. Right now the rig is packed away for the 3'ish hour drive to Tampa later this afternoon.

RX is on top of the dig servo, esc on rear links just behind dig servo if that helps.

Last edited by DickyT; 06-18-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #54
RCC Addict

nice very nice
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

The rigs looking great!

Good luck at the comp...Give em hell Richard!

-
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Man, you ARE going to make them cry, geesh Good work and you need an onboard cam
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
When I redo the top cross members next week I will have to take top panels off for that, and will get some pics. Right now the rig is packed away for the 3'ish hour drive to Tampa later this afternoon.

RX is on top of the dig servo, esc on rear links just behind dig servo if that helps.
I look forward to some picks I'm a little curious about equipment placement. I really do like the concept for the AX-10. Have a great time in Tampa.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

what motor and gearing you running as ive noticed alot of rigs have alot more wheelspeed than my ax10 which is like a snail but has loads or torque but would like a bit more speed
lazychubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys, just got to the motel, time to give the rig a once over, then get some sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazychubs View Post
what motor and gearing you running as ive noticed alot of rigs have alot more wheelspeed than my ax10 which is like a snail but has loads or torque but would like a bit more speed
I have a Holmes Hobbies Handwound 35t geared 16/87 on 11.1v
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I finished middle of the pack today, partly do to my front links. The delrin is shot, time to make new ones. I would dig and it would not circle, a tire would grab and twist it up instead. The rest was do to me, I got frustrated and made some bad line choices do to it. The courses were very tough, It was only 3 or 4 that finished courses 1 and 2. I had a great run going on 3 and took a bad line and fell into a hole. I drove right up that same thing afterwards with minimal effort.

The rig drives amazing short of the front link issue, It never let go on a sidehill or straight climb.

I am putting on the original steel front links I made for the FF-4 for tomorrows comp in North Palm Beach.

Great chassis so far Juan.