Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My Frogger Buildup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Tossin' Salad

Default My Frogger Buildup

A couple weeks ago, I picked up my first RC in about 13 years.

It is just a bone stock RTR version.

So far, I have purchased:

Axial comp shocks to lower the stance and be adjustable (with custom O-rings thanks to C*H*U*D)
3Racing driveshafts, knuckles, Cs, skid, slipper eliminator
Have on order rebuild kit for aluminum Axial links and steering
Purchased an assortment of LiPo batteries for next to nothing because I am in China.

Mirrored my tranny with info in a sticky up above.
And lastly, designed a new chassis for myself using Polyoxymethylene.
I should have it in 2 days time. I got my inspiration from C*H*U*D's latest creation. Only this chassis is really only designed as a bolt in set for the current gear that I am running.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 08-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Look's like a nice build. Can't wait to see more!
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

nice chassis. cant wait to see more of this build.
CrawlHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Tossin' Salad

Thanks guys. I will get some updated pics up this weekend of the progress so far.

Casey
Old 07-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Tossin' Salad

So, I am still waiting on my links and turnbuckles, have yet to decide on a good ESC and motor combo, and am still looking for some decent hardware.

But, anyway, just trying to figure out what to call this thing now. I just weighed it, and it came in at 1.7 kilos, or 3.75 lbs.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

how is it only 3.75 pounds!? mine is like 5.5 pounds.
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
how is it only 3.75 pounds!? mine is like 5.5 pounds.
It is possible the scale im using is not very accurate. I will try to find a better scale and try again when I can.

Having said that, I dont have a dig unit, I only have one servo, and my chassis is all Delrin. That and my links are still the plastic stock ones.

Casey
Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Tossin' Salad

So, I was able to locate a couple of motors. These are RC4WD motors that I got for 10 bucks each. They are 35T and 65T. Man...the 65T makes this thing STUPID slow.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

get yourself a nice handwound brushed motor like a HH or JPH or try the tekin handwound and esc combo and hook your 3s up you wont look back
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
So, I was able to locate a couple of motors. These are RC4WD motors that I got for 10 bucks each. They are 35T and 65T. Man...the 65T makes this thing STUPID slow.

order up a Holmes Hobbies 45t motor! and id stay away from rear steer and use a dig, way more helpful!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverkiller1 View Post
get yourself a nice handwound brushed motor like a HH or JPH or try the tekin handwound and esc combo and hook your 3s up you wont look back
This is pretty much the plan. I have been talking to EddieO about one of his handwound motors, and will likely pick up a good ESC from HH.

Right now I am using 2x2S lipos but I bought a 3S 11.1 volt lipo a couple days ago. I need to install my BEC and get this thing going. I bought the RC4WD motors because they were only 10 bucks and I could experiement to see what kind of torque and wheel speed I want before I order up a handwound motor.

Casey
Old 07-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
order up a Holmes Hobbies 45t motor! and id stay away from rear steer and use a dig, way more helpful!
This just goes to personal preference. I wont compete, as there is no place for me to compete. And, basically, I think right now I would have more fun crab walking than locking up my rear end.

Maybe some time in the future, but not yet.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
Tossin' Salad

Default Frogger Lives!!

So, I have decided on the name frogger. Pretty fitting if you ask me.

Here it is with some updated skins that I cut out of the existing RTR body.

Casey
Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This is pretty much the plan. I have been talking to EddieO about one of his handwound motors, and will likely pick up a good ESC from HH.

Right now I am using 2x2S lipos but I bought a 3S 11.1 volt lipo a couple days ago. I need to install my BEC and get this thing going. I bought the RC4WD motors because they were only 10 bucks and I could experiement to see what kind of torque and wheel speed I want before I order up a handwound motor.

Casey
Holmes Hobbies BR-XL good for 6s!

everything else is lookin pretty good on it, other than one major problem! the 3-link upper link connecter, the ball wears out quick and pulls through and you get a lot of axle roll. id upgrade to 4-link better link geometry and it helps combat toutqe twist

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 07-04-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
Holmes Hobbies BR-XL good for 6s!

everything else is lookin pretty good on it, other than one major problem! the 3-link upper link connecter, the ball wears out quick and pulls through and you get a lot of axle roll. id upgrade to 4-link better link geometry and it helps combat toutqe twist
Cool...Thanks for the head's up. I have been noticing alot of axle wrap on the front axle due to the added weight...so, once my links show up this week, I will convert to 4 link. I just got to make some 4-link plates.

Thanks.

Casey
Old 07-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Casey, really like that chassis--I think it's unique yet still manages to work using the stock components and looks to offer a better rollover sort of like a Moonbugy cab.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #17
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
Casey, really like that chassis--I think it's unique yet still manages to work using the stock components and looks to offer a better rollover sort of like a Moonbugy cab.
Thanks man. The rollover could be worked out a little bit more, as the back seems to slope down and even acts like a flat spot when on its back.

I really like it, and since it is Delrin, or course it does not weigh anything but is super strong.

Casey
Old 07-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #18
Tossin' Salad

I have been asked if this chassis will be for sale. The answer is no. I dont want to deal with shipping out of China.

But, for those of you interrested, I have the design file for SolidWorks. I would be willing to send you the design file.

Anything I can do to help out around here....I dont mind at all.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 07-05-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #19
Tossin' Salad

I just ordered a few things....

Got in touch with Toadz Toys out of California, and ordered up some 4 link plates.

Also, just ordered a handwound 45T pro motor from HH along with a BR-XL speed control. Definitely cant wait to get this!

Still waiting on my links.
Also, took a close look at my stock servo labelled as AS-2. I am not sure who Axial buys this from, but it is a piece of crap. I have not been hard on it or anything. The output shaft seems to have some play in it already. I guess it is time to order up a HiTec unit.

Casey
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I just ordered a few things....

Got in touch with Toadz Toys out of California, and ordered up some 4 link plates.

Also, just ordered a handwound 45T pro motor from HH along with a BR-XL speed control. Definitely cant wait to get this!

Still waiting on my links.
Also, took a close look at my stock servo labelled as AS-2. I am not sure who Axial buys this from, but it is a piece of crap. I have not been hard on it or anything. The output shaft seems to have some play in it already. I guess it is time to order up a HiTec unit.

Casey
now we're talkin! better get some new drive shafts, that hand wound is gonna spit those stock plastic ones out pretty quick!