Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: T1E AX-10 Moon Buggy build by Crawler Innovations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #61
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I'm finally dusting this thing off and getting it finished. I installed my SDS Customz 300m CVD's in the front tonight. What a pain in the @$$ that was. After some dremeling they fit perfect. I also switched to Axial clockable C's in the front and VP high steer knuckles. I cut the upper links down 1/4 to clock the front axle back for increased caster. I will get some updated pictures once it's running this week. The outrunner is coming out of it and I am installing a Tekin 35T and FXR. I plan to install VP wheels, Hot Bodies Rovers and 5.5 Double Deuce Nova Foams.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #62

Default Updates

gald to see your finishing it nice build
nutoscaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Does anyone know when these might be available to the rest of us?
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #65
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post
Does anyone know when these might be available to the rest of us?
There available just not up on the site contact Rockshow on this forum and he will fix ya up
xrra_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Bump! Any updates?
TC09mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #67
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC09minilosi View Post
Bump! Any updates?
I will post a good update probably tomorrow with pictures. The truck is up and running and has about three battery packs through it. All I can say is WOW! It still needs some tuning with shock springs and hub adapters to get a wider width. It is extremely fun to drive and does berg lines with ease and no dig. I'm surprised every time I run it.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Now that's a teaser if I've ever heard one.

Can't wait.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #69
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I am very sorry for the delay and teaser. I caught a very bad case of the flu which basically kept me from doing anything but the basics for a full week. I'm feeling better and getting caught up finally. I have put a few more battery packs through this sportsman truck and I really like it.

This truck could be the death nail to my 1.9 comp rigs. As one of the leaders of our local club ETXRCC, running a sportsman class instead of a 1.9 class makes so much more sense. We can use the same course layout for sportsman that we use for 2.2 Pro. It would save time and I think the sportsman class is more fun. At any rate, on to the pictures:

Old 12-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
We can use the same course layout for sportsman that we use for 2.2 Pro. It would save time and I think the sportsman class is more fun.
Man, you guys are going to finish your comps in like an hour or less....

The truck looks good Eddie!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #71
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Updated specs:

Tekin FXR w/ heavy duty 4S capacitor
Tekin machine wound 35T (needs to be replaced with something with more torque)
18 gauge wire
BWD motor plate
Hot Racing Aluminum transmission gears
BOWTIE steel transmission outputs
CC BEC
Spektrum RX
Hitec 5955 wired directly into the CC BEC and set to 7.4V
All electronics are on the front axle
300M CVD's and OH MY how do they turn
Crawler Innovations 6.0 Double Deuce Nova Foams
Crawler Innovations cut n shut Panther Cobra tires; The fronts are Super Soft white dot and the rears are Clay Compound
VP DH1's in front 1.2 width
VP SLW V1 out back 1.35 width

I am waiting on new springs. The front needs to be softer. The current springs are RC18 medium springs in front and Mini T medium springs in the rear.

I also have a new set of side plates and cab plates in thinner delrin I need to swap in.

I am working on some custom panels as well.

This is definitely one capable shafty
Old 12-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #72
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Man, you guys are going to finish your comps in like an hour or less....

The truck looks good Eddie!
It wouldn't bother me. In and Out. Get the comp out of the way so we can play scalers and bash. Thanks Jeremy
Old 12-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Hey Eddie the truck looks great! So what's your driving impressions of it good as your GC-2? Are those Traxxas Big bores they look like the perfect length. I'm just putting one together and I can tell my 4" Losi's are going to be to long.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #74
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey Eddie the truck looks great! So what's your driving impressions of it good as your GC-2? Are those Traxxas Big bores they look like the perfect length. I'm just putting one together and I can tell my 4" Losi's are going to be to long.
Thanks Norm. I am friends with both Rockshow (the owner of T1E) and Gatekeeper (the designer of the GC1, GC2 and GC3) so I want to be careful when comparing either of those designs. The bodiless look has really grown on me and I have come to prefer it. I feel that bodiless allows for easier tuning because you can see the suspension working as you crawl.

As you know, I absolutely loved my GC2. This moon buggy is set up nearly identical to that chassis in terms of how I have the links and shocks mounted on the axle. So I am not in a position to say that one design is better than another. There are so many variables that I'm beginning to think that it really comes down to driver ability and confidence in the crawler he has built. Both Gatekeeper Designs and T1E design outstanding products, no doubt about that.

I am using Traxxas Big Bore shocks that are 3.5 in length. They are the standard long shocks. Everything T1E designs uses 3.5 length shocks, where as Gatekeeper Designs uses 4" shocks. So if you are building a moon buggy, you will need the correct length shocks to get the most out of it.

I hope that helps some Norm. It's always delicate comparing a product when you are friends with both designers.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Wow looks really good there, uhh time to clean the tires

I get where your coming from on the chassis, I think it boils down to what do you want out of it/what are you looking for/what fits your style best. Hey even the same "looking" crawlers aren't the same when you get down to details
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

I couldn't agree more Eddie in fact I'm using all my GC-2 geometry on my Moonbuggy set up as well. I'm hoping that the Buggy chassis will give me better break over capability. I'm going to run the new Axial Hardline body on mine I love the way that body recovers even better than the VW Bug IMO.

That's what I was looking for the Traxxas std long shocks.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #77
Croakin' across the pond!

I run a DNA dig too and am looking for a bodyless chassis for the AX10. Amazing how much you've chopped off. Where d i get an AX10 Moonbuggy from?
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #78
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
I run a DNA dig too and am looking for a bodyless chassis for the AX10. Amazing how much you've chopped off. Where d i get an AX10 Moonbuggy from?

You can them directly from T1E although you will have to PM rockshow because he doesn't list these on his web site. He's always thinking about changing stuff to make it better which is why he hasn't put this on his site. Crawler Innovations can get these for you as well. The cost is $125 + shipping regardless of who you buy them from.

The DNA dig is pretty darn thick on the bottom. It really adds a lot of weight up high and I actually like my truck better without it.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #79
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I ran a couple test battery packs through this a week ago. We had beautiful weather here in East Texas. Low 70's and a beautiful blue sky. At any rate, I did some spring swapping. I ended up with Mini T front soft springs in the front and Mini T front firm springs in the rear. I liked that the best out of the several different springs I tried. I'm still using the 6" tall cobras. When we have another good day of weather I want to try some Rovers and my Khaos tires as well. I started on panels for it but have been running with out them. I also still need to add a little weight in the rear. I have a couple product ideas I need to meet with my machinist about. Overall, this is probably my funnest truck to drive. I really hope sportsman can take off as a class.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #80
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Well I designed my own "Universal" high clearance rear link for this truck. I also installed for Jeepindoug mini t spring cups on the shocks.

Here is my T1E AX-10 Moon Buggy sportsman 2.2 with the Crawler Innovations "Universal" rear high clearance links:

Last edited by Nova's Ark; 03-01-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Spell Check