Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: steering binding issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default steering binding issue

ok guys so heres the issue i'm running into. i have an ax10 with the axial clockable C's and VP high steer knuckles. i have axial CVD's for the axles. it seems as though if i steer the rig while digging, the wheels seem to fight each other. the outer wheel seems to want to pull itself to full lock and then back off. it does that rapidly over and over. i thought that my EPA was set to sharp. by the time i got it to stop, the wheels were almost stright! any ideas, something i missed? any info would help.

BTW, i didn't have any issues like this before the cvd's.
JaredVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredVW View Post
ok guys so heres the issue i'm running into. i have an ax10 with the axial clockable C's and VP high steer knuckles. i have axial CVD's for the axles. it seems as though if i steer the rig while digging, the wheels seem to fight each other. the outer wheel seems to want to pull itself to full lock and then back off. it does that rapidly over and over. i thought that my EPA was set to sharp. by the time i got it to stop, the wheels were almost stright! any ideas, something i missed? any info would help.

It sounds to me like you have your caster wrong. Do you have your clockable Cs on backwards?

Can you use photobucket or something to host a photo, and post up a photo of your front end?

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 07-12-2010 at 04:50 AM.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Need a little more info on the rig please. Like your front link setup? 4linked? What are the links made out of?
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredVW View Post
You answered your own question. The cvds are binding.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

this is my caster. looks correct to me.

here is a top and front view of the front axle.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Do you have in-out slop at the wheels? Might be some slight mis-alingnment between the cvd pins and the kingpin screws, they need to line up to make the cvd turn smoothly.

With Ackermann knuckles, one wheel will turn further than the other, so they will fight each other to a degree, but it shouldn't be a big problem.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I had the same problem. I think it is due to the fact that the CCDs can't be offset by 90 degrees. Seem to me that one shaft should go into the locker at a different angle than the other. And you will find that the cvd pins break veery rapidly if you have the inner wheel hopping badly when digging. Try to run more toe angle if possible. I think it might help to have the outer wheel pointed inward more while turning. Or just put the dog bones back in. Solved my problems. Seems to turn better with worn out dog bones than axial Cvds.
AlphaQup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Do you have in-out slop at the wheels? Might be some slight mis-alingnment between the cvd pins and the kingpin screws, they need to line up to make the cvd turn smoothly.

With Ackermann knuckles, one wheel will turn further than the other, so they will fight each other to a degree, but it shouldn't be a big problem.
And one last thing. Order some of gunnars music wire cvd pins. I can say that they last about 5x longer than stock pins.
AlphaQup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQup View Post
I think it might help to have the outer wheel pointed inward more while turning.
Proper ackerman angles would have the inner wheel turning at a sharper angle than the outer wheel.

Also, if it's not the cvd's not being properly aligned in the knuckle/kingpin area like Gunnar suggested, I see the problem being electronics related. Specifically lack of power to the servo. When digging, the motor draws alot more amps due to the increased load for trying to drag the rear end around. this increased amp draw, plus the amp draw of the servo trying to hold the front wheels at full loc, whilst the front wheels fight each other, is causing the servo to cut out intermittently. That's why when you try to adjust your EPA's to fix the problem, your wheels are almost straight. Try a BEC.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

it's not the electronics. i have a 55turn and a rooster. a JR 8711 for the steering. and a CC BEC.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
TSK
Shelf queen

Then it's the cvd's not being aligned. What locker are you using?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

well, i put some dog bones back in it and set thw EPA's as high as i could till they started to bind, and then back it off a hair. i drove the truck around and the issue is gone. i'm not sure why, but it works now.

I have the heavy duty axial locker with OD ring and pinion.

Last edited by JaredVW; 07-13-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
TSK
Shelf queen

About how much steering angle were you getting out tf the cvd's at full lock?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Are ya sure ya have axial knuckles and not berg knuckles? Vanquish makes both and it will throw the cvds out.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
About how much steering angle were you getting out tf the cvd's at full lock?
with it in my hand and no load on it, i could go untill the cvd started to bind. any further and the tire would have been buried into the shock. it's only under the dig load that it wobbles like that.

oh and i'm sure they are axial VP knuckles because they don't bind while running it on a stand.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

It might be the difference in turning radius due to your Ackermann knuckles. Try this: remove your rodend from the right side of the tie rod, add three 3mm flat washers between the rodend and tie rod tube, (creating toe-out), and test while digging again. You will have toe-out when the wheels are centered, but the wheels will be become more parallel as you turn. See if that helps or hurts.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

ok. i wondered about that from reading other builds. i will let you know what happens. thanks for the tips so far
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #18
Tossin' Salad

Yeah, the ackermann on this makes a bit of sense. The inside wheel will turn sharper to create a tighter turning radius.

Do the CVDs have a worse turning angle than dogbones with outers? Somehow I find this a bit hard to swallow.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #19
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Most CVD's turn around 43-45 degrees. Stock dogbones are around 31-33, modded dogbones around 37-38.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #20
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Most CVD's turn around 43-45 degrees. Stock dogbones are around 31-33, modded dogbones around 37-38.
If this is the case, how would slightly different angles be at fault for a bind? CV = constant velocity, meaning what goes in comes out equally...not out of phase at angles. If this holds true for these CVDs, then this hypothesis has holes in it.

There MUST be something else at play. Perhaps the CVD itself has an issue. Could also be how the CVD is held in. Mine are on order, so I am sure I will have a much clearer understanding of this.

Casey