Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: The Nerd's SSS-R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Just another small update. Dig mount finished and it is much better, if anything better than the old style with two pieces, it allows no flex. Also got my 725 hubs today, I can get full steering with only a tiny bit of rubbing. Not sure I am liking the offset though, but we'll see how it goes. I'd rather deal with funny looking steering movement then minimum steering.

Kieren
Dig mount looks stellar Yeah running wide hubs takes a little getting used to. You may highcenter the front axle more than you used to, but it does feel more stable cause of the width.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Dig mount looks stellar Yeah running wide hubs takes a little getting used to. You may highcenter the front axle more than you used to, but it does feel more stable cause of the width.
Thanks Yeah I might take it for a test drive out the back today, see what it's like. One thing I did notice though is that the SSS-R is already more stable than the SSS.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Just some pics from today's crawl session. Once again at Neilson beach. Can get a very nice 1.5 hours out of a single 1100mah pack!

Kieren

The orange safety barrier in the first pic is my leg
Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Hi Kiren,
the weight sounds very interesting

Uups a broken leg.

Greetings - Sascha
TheOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOther View Post
Hi Kiren,
the weight sounds very interesting

Uups a broken leg.

Greetings - Sascha
Overall weight? Yeah I was kinda surprised when I weighed it, but I don't really have any intentions of going ultra light. You need something to hold you on the rocks.

Not quite only some tendon damage.

Kieren
Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #26
RCC Addict

I'm not liking the scrub from the new hubs so I decided to fix that. A little bit of shaving and some new holes and what do you know highly clocked ax10 axles.

I'm also working on a new low as possible steering set up. I was going to go back to mid steer knuckles, but after clocking the high steers have enough room anyway! I just have to make plate for the links, a mount for the other side of the servo and some new links. The advantage of it now is that everything is resting on the axle nice and low. Also it is not sticking out so far so it is protected nicely. The futaba was getting a few to many scratches for comfort

Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #27
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Steering came out nice, much easier when no shocks are in the way. Are any tubes used inside the housings to help strengthen the new clocking idea?

Dig servo mount good too, nice way to do it with the standard mounting point on the dig case.

Last edited by gunnar; 08-11-2010 at 09:06 AM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Steering came out nice, much easier when no shocks are in the way. Are any tubes used inside the housings to help strengthen the new clocking idea?

Dig servo mount good too, nice way to do it with the standard mounting point on the dig case.
It's not finished yet so we'll so what it ends up like. Yes very true! Not so far, but I may try something along the lines of what you have done.

Thank you

Kieren
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

I've been wondering why I couldn't get more steering out of my axials! it's because you've been hogging all of it!

lookin real good mannnnn!
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #30
TSK
Shelf queen

Looks great man. Keep it up Love the way the servo tuck's into the rim like that.

So no reinforcement of the axle housing? Just shave down the index on the housing, clock the c's and re-drill?

Last edited by TSK; 08-11-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post
I've been wondering why I couldn't get more steering out of my axials! it's because you've been hogging all of it!

lookin real good mannnnn!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Looks great man. Keep it up Love the way the servo tuck's into the rim like that.

So no reinforcement of the axle housing? Just shave down the index on the housing, clock the c's and re-drill?
Thank you Yes it seems to protect it nicely.

None as such at the moment, but I might do something yet I'm not sure. Yeah that is fairly well the procedure.

Kieren
Old 08-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Did a bit more on the front axle today

Kieren
Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #33
TSK
Shelf queen

That turned out killer. Now get out there on beat on it. I wanna see how the shaved axle housing hods up,
Old 08-15-2010, 05:07 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Finished up the last bracket on the servo mount and took it out for a test run. The bracket needs a little tidying up but otherwise the steering set up is finished. She also worked very well. I think it is getting very close to dialed. Just practice, practice, practice. Also got some boss claws on the way too. We'll see how they work.

Thank you TSK Yeah it held up fine in initial tests.

Kieren

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 08-15-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #35
RCC Addict

FYI running the c's without any internal supports is asking for trouble. I did that and had the plastic crack, so you need something on the inside. Doesn't have to be a ton, but something for the screw to "hold into" and let friction... do the rest. I intentionally turned my inner tubes a little "to big' and left the surface sorta rough so they would grab better, so far noooo issues

PS: hows your leg doing
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Yeah you have me thinking, I might try put some 'epoxy steel' or something like that just to strengthen it up a bit.

Leg is alright thanks gone from cast to 'boot' now.

Kieren
Old 08-17-2010, 03:10 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Just got some better pictures of the steering set up. I tidied up the mount on the other side. Also the new weight with everything bar rims, batteries and body is 1135g. For those with the weight fascination I have netted a 25g loss with the new steering set up and battery mount. Also some with a sharp eye may have noticed I have 'reversed' my link/mid link set up. More steering clearance and a little firmer 'shock' movement good all round!

Kieren
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #38
TSK
Shelf queen

How does the steering feel like that? Has it taken any big falls yet? I have extra housings nad some plastic c's I can play around with but still not convinced that I wanna go that route yet.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #39
RCC Addict

I like it a lot, make's using such wide hubs bearable. No not yet, I have only run on the practice course. I really should put something in there to beef it up, but I'll try it as is for the moment anyway.

Kieren
Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Got some new shoes. They are a bit of a pain to mount and the release compound on the tires makes them filthy when they arrive, but a quick wash and dry, and using some bit longer bolts to get them started, they aren't too bad. The compound feels great after you wash it. First impressions just digging around on tiles, was In the same situation the rovers would slide or sit there and hop. I had to back the power off because I though I was going to break something they gripped that well!

I also have switched too a DX3e in this rig so I can 'share'. The berg will get the DX6p. I think specktrum surface receiver designers need to take their course again. It is over twice the footprint of my fxr! Also when I opened it to coil the antennae they could have easy taken 5-10mm of circuit board off the end, it has nothing on there. Anyway it fits and it works well so I guess I can't complain to much.

Kieren

Tags
aussie nerd, sss, sss-r, torsion