Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: The Nerd's SSS-R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Just testing the boss claws around the place on a few spots I know it struggled for grip with rovers, I tried with the boss claws, it crawled straight up, no wheelspeed or anything. I am running Nova 5.5's F/R. Very happy with them so far. I'll either go to the beach or the test track tomorrow to give them a better run.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Just testing the boss claws around the place on a few spots I know it struggled for grip with rovers, I tried with the boss claws, it crawled straight up, no wheelspeed or anything. I am running Nova 5.5's F/R. Very happy with them so far. I'll either go to the beach or the test track tomorrow to give them a better run.

Kieren
From what I can tell with my "awful condition home made claws" they are pretty good. I guess my only complaint has to be that they like to be kept clean or they don't grip as well. I guess it all boils down to personal choice, I am still leaning to rovers just because when they get dirty as heck, they don't mind as much. I would assume foams make a huge difference also (im running stock rover foams up front on about a 5lb rig )
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Yeah very true about keeping them clean. I am really likening the boss claws so far though. Can't wait to try them at the beach.

Kieren
Old 08-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #44
RCC Addict

Took it for a bit more of a test today at the test track. The boss claws are simply awesome. So long as they don't get too dirty they will do everything as good as the rovers, with just a bit more ease. In certain instances they a miles better than rovers, since they don't get the hop when you use wheelspeed. This helps A LOT in certain instances.

Kieren
Old 08-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Trucks looking good man!
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Thank you

Kieren
Old 08-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Some more pictures from today’s test session. Once again at the beach, there is no end of rock or lines, I would be lucky if I have covered even a hundredth of the rock there.

So far the boss claws are working REALLY well, they just stick like anything to the volcanic rock. To the extent that this becomes a problem in some lines, overgrip particularly on extremely steep inclines with an undercut, the rear will go under, touch and instantly flip the rig over, whereas from similar experiences with rovers they tend to give a little and slip and eventually the front pulls up. Boss fronts and rover rears might be an interesting combination?

The SSS-R is working very well for me. The change in the front link set up (couple posts up) is working very well for me and I am really liking the suspension movement, not quick so 'floppy' as before. It is as I have already stated a very much improvement over the old design. It will go anywhere a friend’s berg will go, if not more in some cases. If you can't get it try again, sometimes I have taken 10 attempts but nothing seems to be impossible just got to pick exactly the right line. Only thing that it does do is it will sometimes remain 'unsettled' and hang a wheel in the air a bit, however the old design did this too and I think it is just part of torsion chassis. A little more throttle and it goes away

The front axle housing's have held up so far. Granted i may not be being as hard on them as in a comp situation for example, but they have held up to a few servo stalling binds (the patented boss claw overgrip) and some heavy throttle descents not to mention the general forces of crawling.

Anyway enough talk onto some pictures.

Kieren

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 08-28-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #48
TSK
Shelf queen

Still no body for that guy?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #49
RCC Addict

They make everything twice as hard so I am still looking for a tiny replacement for my oversized xc1.

Kieren
Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
They make everything twice as hard so I am still looking for a tiny replacement for my oversized xc1.

Kieren
Work a "body" into the roll cage... or get the tiniest thing you can/trim it. Heck one guy ran a clear body on his SSS "so he could see what was underneath"
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #51
Try to Bend it

The Parma exciter is a pretty small body. maybe that could work for you.

Car is looking good though.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Got my 'Beef Toobs' in and mounted. It is definitely a lot more solid. Also I mounted up some body posts and the body is on. Still don't like bodies so I might try design some sort of bodiless top thing to get the size down.

Kieren
Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Went for another crawl today, I've decided after today I'm switching back to rovers. Sure the grip is crazy with the claws but they don't let go on which resulted in it being on it's lid more than it's wheels. Plus any sign of wheelspeed results in instant slicks and off the nearest cliff. They can definitely help in some situations but sometimes you just need to the back to slip a little. Perhaps boss front / rover rear might be a good combo. Might be worth a shot even if it would look a bit odd. They will DEFINETLY stay in my arsenal for slick rock, but any rock with grip back to rovers. Hmm I might need another set of rims at this rate.

Kieren
Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #54
Try to Bend it

If you have the hot wire for your esc why dont you have a play with your throttle curve, so that the punch only comes in for the last 10% of trigger movement.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
If you have the hot wire for your esc why dont you have a play with your throttle curve, so that the punch only comes in for the last 10% of trigger movement.
Think your in the wrong thread? I might give that a go.

Kieren
Old 09-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Just a few pictures with the body on.

Kieren
Old 09-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #57
Try to Bend it

Looks cool man, I wish we had volcanic rock on this side of the country.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Hmm must have only been the east cost that passed through the ring of fire? It's very nice to crawl on, high grip but still has plenty of challenges.

Kieren
Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #59
Tossin' Salad

I might just have to box my junk up and come take a visit.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #60
RCC Addict

There is a interstate in Coffs Harbour that will attract quite a good portion of Australia. It's in 3 weeks time though how fast can you pack Jump on either The Crawl Pit or CrawlANZ for more details. They are the big forums in Australia, there might be more forums around I'm not sure but that seems to be where everyone hides.

Kieren

Tags
aussie nerd, sss, sss-r, torsion