Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Goatman's Fastback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Talking Goatman's Fastback

Thought I'd jump on the build bandwagon and show my Fastback as Built.

This is my first crawler - I bought a used Ax-10 with a stock chassis but with a number of upgrades as a starting point.

Thanks to Tomcat18t, Juan, and Dicky T for guidance both directly and just though posts on RCC (hey I just bought my green star - great website) Tomcat provided some hardware that really made the difference - thanks again man.

Here are the the mostly finished pics. The body panels are just my first try at seeing how they fit.

From what I understand - I am about 1/2" longer than comp rules allow, I plan on taking equal amounts from front and rear.

I've taken it out a couple of time and I loves it I shot some vids with my digital camera but they aren't real great quality and I've never done video editing before but I may try to post those eventually.

Tomcat has mentioned I need to work on my rear upper links to try and get them more parallel with the ground so thats one item I plan on working on by moving the connectors on top of the link plate.

Another thought I've had is to move the front shocks where they mount to the body, in board to give a little smaller rub-free turning radius.

Without having any prior experience I have alot to learn and I would appreciate any thoughts or comments.
Attached Images

swollen goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Rig looks great! The only think I do not like is the position of your rear upper links. Try to get them parallel with the ground or even sloped back to front a bit. Mine would not settle the way I liked and wanted to lift the front on steep climbs when setup that way.

I have mine mounted using the top of the rear axle plate and the second lowest hole on the chassis
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Looks good and welcome to RCC!

I agree with Richard on your link mounting locations. I run mine on top of the axle and use the second to lowest mounting location.

Also, if you're friends with Tom, we should see the first side by side shots of both colors...I think his should be arriving today. With both of you having the same chassis, you should be able to bounce a lot of ideas off of each other
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

A couple things thing really jumped out at me after a closer look.

You are not using a shock mount for your rear shocks, that is the rear upper brace. Certainly not the designed mounting point for the shock, giving it an odd angle.

Also try to inboard the front shocks on the chassis, this will allow more steering angle before you bury the tires into the shocks!

Edit: I just re read your entire post and see that you have mentioned inboarding the shocks.

Last edited by DickyT; 08-02-2010 at 02:18 PM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Alright! Welcome to the show!

Glad to see you have posted up already.Your rig is looking good...except for those links, they look like crap, where did you get those again?
It is good to see the rig up and running though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Also, if you're friends with Tom, we should see the first side by side shots of both colors...I think his should be arriving today
Oooh...you let the cat out of the bag...there goes my shock and awe tactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post

You are not using a shock mount for your rear shocks, that is the rear upper brace. Certainly not the designed mounting point for the shock, giving it an odd angle.

Also try to inboard the front shocks on the chassis, this will allow more steering angle before you bury the tires into the shocks!

Edit: I just re read your entire post and see that you have mentioned inboarding the shocks.
Ahh hahahaha...(told you so)...

Thanks Richard

-
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post

I was waiting for that. Tom has already given me s**t for my creative shock mounting location. I guess I was trying to get the rear links too long - thus my too long wheel base.

Any points for creativity ?

I plan on getting that sorted this week. I'll poast some updates.

Sure is fun though.

Doesn't look like Tom and I will get together before Novemberish - the duo pics may have to wait theres about 600 miles between our domiciles.

Thx for help and comments.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default Update

I spent last night modifying the links, inboarding the front shocks and properly mounting the rear shocks.

I'm at work right now - will post pics tonight.

I need some advice though:

Being a noobster I have a question about how the front shocks are set up by the P. O. It seems they have a spring inside the oil reservoir so they never fully extend. I belive by lookin at my previous pics you can see how the front is lower than the rear. It is more noticable now that I have made the changes reccomended above.

So is this a good setup or should I take the inner springs out? And what weight of oil do you guys recommend in the oil reservoirs?

I'm making some official skins as the axial plastic ones I cut from the packaging box didn't last one crawl session

So once I get that done I'll post in the Fastback Rigs thread.

Cheers.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I might take a stab at this and try and help you out a bit. Your rear end of your skid being higher is not really to much bad thing as it might impact your breakover point in good ways. As far as internal springs, on the shocks working in a droop way against your external springs. That was probably done to help articulation and maybe even ride height. It appears to me you are running losi 4" shocks which is what I am running, as is Richard. I do not have my losi's limited (internal springs) but my ride height is sitting about 2 and 3/4 inches. Much higher is to high and much lower is tough for breakover. I was told by someone here that you want to be able to put a coke can under each wheel and have the other three on the ground and you are getting good articulation. Any more and its to much and any less and you are missing out. All that said I have done one comp and I came in pretty close to last. Richard is the one you should be quick to look to for setup help. So here is my long wided short summary. Ride height and limited articulation is what your springs should be doing for you.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

KK, thx. Yeah they are the 4" Losi Shocks with the black shock spring in the back left corner (looking from back to the front) the rest are the white springs. I haven't used a soda can (diet Mtn. Dew in my house) but I my guess is I am getting more articulation than that and I'll measure the belly height.

I've read enough of the suspension set up threads that I'm pretty much googley eyed at this point - so I appreciate the direct responses.

The best part - I'm not afraid of trial and error cause thats just more time on the rocks but having a good direction to shoot for helps tremendously.

I would also like to do a comp some time just for the expierence and meeting other crawlers - prolly come in last though
Old 08-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Its funny. The comp I went to blew me away at how different driving or a comp is versus driving around on rocks. My truck was actually more than capable to drive around the rocks but making it between gates was a whole new thing. I went straight home and changed my setup. More wheelspeed, 3s lipo's more turning radius, and I am still trying to iron out this 3 position versus 2 dig. I got a VP on the way for that so good things are coming. As a driver I learned how discipline you learn you need to be, by learning how to not use reverse and learn how to really dig right if you have a dig.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

its weird, its like a whole new game when you are competing! your rig looks good to!
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Default Getting Closer

Alrighty,
I've gone and tried to make the changes recommended. The wheel base is now comp legal and I gotta say I like how the panels turned out.

My next improvement will be sedonas in the front and put a newer pair of rovers in the rear that Tom hooked me up with.

VP dig question - If there is any pressure on the trasmission the dig unit won't shift. So do I have a weak shifting servo or is it just the way it is.

Spektrum DXR3.0 question - Can you swithch the 3rd channel switch from the a switch (the upper switch) to the b switch (lower switch)?

I need to figure that out if possible- that upper switch is a pain.

SG
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I will be curious to see what you find out about your dig. I am mounting a VP tomorrow and having problems with it under load sounds odd. I know the DNA dig worked under load but it would bind up easy and was a little harder to set up. I gotta think this is not normal on yours. I also bet you can designate which switch works your dig as the dx3r allows that on one of the more buried setup screens.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Your rig looks much more dialed in now...and the panels turned out sick! Almost looks like rootbeer brown from here.

As far as the dig...those things have a rep for being flawless...I would make sure you dont have it screwed down too tightly to the trans, see if that helps.
I always used the grib button(thumb button) for dig on my DX3.0...give me a call and I can walk you through it.

Nice job so far

-
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

i run the hurtz on my fastback with a hitec 645mg......and have no bind or slippage issues.....so if you have a weak servo then its probably causing the issue.....
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

A little update:
It was definately a weak servo problem with the dig. I put a 145oz servo in and works like a charm

Put new sedonas on the front with 5.5" DD foams, new rovers on the rears with a cussom (custom) foam/memory foam combo and moved the ESC to the rear links

I have to say I love this thing pics and a video will be coming soon - I have a Harley ride to take care of first.

SG
Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

VERSION 1.8

It's been a while so I wanted to throw an update out there

I've been lovin this rig - it's been out nearly every weekend since creation. I beat the ever lovin hell out of the fastback plastic uppers and with the Shamrock Challenge this weekend it was time for a fix.

Check the pics and see my take on UGC plastic uppers. Not as pretty as what Juan makes but I beefed them up, added a cross brace where I broke and added new shiney body panels.

Trying out the Losi Boss Claws with some Titus Wheels for this weekend - I'm guessing I'll be the only Fastback out there so wish me luck

I'm on the list for Version II of the fastback - I cant wait

Cheers!
Attached Images