Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Frogger's BAD COP twin!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Tossin' Salad

Default Frogger's BAD COP twin!

I started gathering some more parts, because I intend to build an evil twin to my white chassis frogger. I will do a few things different with this one, but some things the same.

I will do front and rear steer, using Spektrum DX3R.
I will use Vanquish zero ackermann knuckles front and rear.
I will over drive the front with 36/14 gears.

I picked up some HB rovers from TCS because they are on a super sale at the moment. Thanks TCS.
I got a whole ton of stuff from Corey over at RPPHobby. I really like dealing with Corey. He gets a ton of my business.

I plan to run dual HS-7954SH servos, LOSI shocks, and Axial clockable Cs.

I am currently talking to 99RAM about a set of wheels for this bad boy. I really hope he can pull off what I am asking for.

I have not yet decided on a motor and speed control.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Nice start!!! What steering tie rod is that?
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
Nice start!!! What steering tie rod is that?
Thanks man. It is my own. Check page 11 of my other frogger build up, post #217.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 08-24-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Tossin' Salad

Doing basic mock up right now, looking at spacing etc. I am trying to use the STRC Delrin skid plate. This thing is supposed to be a bolt in application for the AX10. I beg to differ. I understand that the goal was to get the transmission as low as possible....but, what about the links? Stupid.

I ended up just using some plastic washers to get the tranny up a bit. You can clearly see that the motor would be all into the lower right link end.

Sorry for the unclear pics...not such an easy angle to get a pic of.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ugh that's not cool, what happens if your running Revo ends and/or delrin links

I gota agree about RPP hobby, they spank tower big time, shipping isn't $10 + a ton of dead air for a piece of metal
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Well, you have to remember, STRC designed that skid around a stock AX-10, which means 5-1/2" shocks, tiny rodends, and links pointing down to the ground.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I think I spot their "fatal error". The plate looks to be about 1/4" on the edges where it screws in... move over to the middle and its more like 1/8" or 3/16" thick moving the motor and transmission down... I know EEM (east end machining) makes a skid that has dual triangulation () and shouldn't have any issues... worst case scenario is to custom fab one up Heck you "could" in theory narrow it up, but then it isn't comp legal on width
Old 08-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Heck you "could" in theory narrow it up, but then it isn't comp legal on width
The skid width has nothing to do with comp legality. It's the size of the body, or bodiless chassis width and height. The skid itself does not have to be included in those measurements, I believe.

You could have a narrow skid, tapering up to the legal width of the chassis.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
The skid width has nothing to do with comp legality. It's the size of the body, or bodiless chassis width and height. The skid itself does not have to be included in those measurements, I believe.

You could have a narrow skid, tapering up to the legal width of the chassis.
My bad, I meant width wise overall... You could do a 2-part chassis but that'd be a lil difficult right

PS: Hows that wicked looking BTA coming. I am waiting on TCS to ship me my VP knuckles so I can try and make something "a tad similar"
Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Well, you have to remember, STRC designed that skid around a stock AX-10, which means 5-1/2" shocks, tiny rodends, and links pointing down to the ground.
If you look in my mockup pics, I am using the stock stuff. Still no worky. Just a bad design.

To top that off, the holes for the link mount screws....yeah, they are threaded. Whoever made this has no clue. Lastly, the screws provided....yeah, you cant fit a nylock on the end because they are not long enough.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
I know EEM (east end machining) makes a skid that has dual triangulation () and shouldn't have any issues...
yeah, I have this skid on my white frogger....my only complaint is that it is really heavy because of how thick it is.

Casey
Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
yeah, I have this skid on my white frogger....my only complaint is that it is really heavy because of how thick it is.

Casey
Oooh our good bud weight eh Yeah I am working on making up a skid using the "wrap under technique" for aluminum plates and then finding a way to mill the center out (ok the underside has a notch to prevent sliding sideways ) and see how much it weights. Then if it is possible pocket some of it out... still following

I remember seeing one skid design that was SO BAD it uses 3 of the 4 holes on the skid, but included 4 mounting screws... man someone earned their keep that day Guess the market for "aftermarket" stuff is big since there's so many crummy brands out there
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Oooh our good bud weight eh Yeah I am working on making up a skid using the "wrap under technique" for aluminum plates and then finding a way to mill the center out (ok the underside has a notch to prevent sliding sideways ) and see how much it weights. Then if it is possible pocket some of it out... still following

I remember seeing one skid design that was SO BAD it uses 3 of the 4 holes on the skid, but included 4 mounting screws... man someone earned their keep that day Guess the market for "aftermarket" stuff is big since there's so many crummy brands out there

I am running one of calvin's first prototype skids and it works great, It is a dual-tri type delrin skid that wraps under the side plates, I really like it and it's much better designed than the strc one. Casey, you outta ditch that skid and make up one of your own design with some triangulation to it that will also let you get your tranny down low.
cbtu0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtu0914 View Post
I am running one of calvin's first prototype skids and it works great, It is a dual-tri type delrin skid that wraps under the side plates, I really like it and it's much better designed than the strc one. Casey, you outta ditch that skid and make up one of your own design with some triangulation to it that will also let you get your tranny down low.
yeah, I hear ya man. First off, I dont need to wrap under as my side plates are Delrin already. Making a skid will be easy for me. I run the EEM skid now with dual reverse.

Casey
Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Sweet another great build to watch.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtu0914 View Post
Oooh that thing was great fun to make I do agree on the wrap around, unless its a Delrin chassis, then its a lost cause and extra $$$... that said I do need more delrin, thanks for reminding me
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post

I am currently talking to 99RAM about a set of wheels for this bad boy. I really hope he can pull off what I am asking for.
Can't go wrong with some B.A.M.'s (99ram) on that whip....Paul does some sweet ass work!
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Racing View Post
Can't go wrong with some B.A.M.'s (99ram) on that whip....Paul does some sweet ass work!
I dont want to let the cat out of the bag just yet...but, I have my fingers crossed!

Casey
Old 08-25-2010, 12:56 AM   #19
Tossin' Salad

I got some things on order this afternoon.

VP Front servo plate (2)
VP rear servo plate (1)
VP Razor shock mounts (4)
VP zero ackermann knuckles (4)

Crawler Innovations Nova Double Deuce 5.5" x 2.25" foams (set of 4)
EEM dual reverse triangulated skid
Axial 90mm blue super stiff springs
Another set of Axial clockable Cs

I cant wait to get this sucker going. Now I just need to choose a good motor and ESC, buy my servos, buy some MIP axle shafts, get some shocks, and pay for my wheels from B.A.M.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 08-25-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #20
RCC Addict

A good motor would be a Tekin 35t handwound with a Tekin FXR and CC BEC, IMO. But you can get what ever you want.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote