Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: PipeDreams Sporty FastBack Build!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #181
RCC Addict

Brian- Ya I can only fit one under my servo but I have to move my bec to do it. Under my battery is my fxr so that's not really an option... after talking with dude I might try and make one from a little thicker 3mm material instead of this 2mm stuff and just drill holes in it to lighten it up again. That plus the extra brace under the servo should help keep this thing a lot more rigid.

RB- Thanks man. Ya unfortunately he doesn't want anything to do with any product but his xr-10 chassis the viper. I'm hoping in time he may find a way to bring the rest of the stuff back because it truly is some of the best stuff on the market. I had a guy ask me last night what chassis he should use for a sportsman rig and in all honesty I said try and find a UGC product. I can't wait to get the viper for my xr-10 build.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #182
RCC Addict

Well did some more practicing tonight and had a great night. Kept up to some xr's and even made some lines that took them a while to get. we set up some gates and did some comp practice.. I like it much better then free crawling. Makes you shoot for lines you might not try if you were just free wheelin. we also moved We also moved some more rocks around to fill some holes and give us some more lines to crawl.

Been thinking more about the front plate and if I can make a new one I can a bit more steering too. Right now I have 5mm between the to front links at the diff (2mm plate and 3mm spacer) but with a new plate bent right and made from 3mm it will be tougher and 2mm narrower. Thats just enough on one side (1mm) to let the rod end clear and get some more throw fro my servo. Gonna be busy these next few weeks moving my gf into the house we just finished reno'ing and some wedding stuff. But hopefully soon I'll get time to make a new plate and tie rod so I can get that last bit of steering left in those 300's.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #183
Croakin' across the pond!

RB - After a lot of thought I'm going with the Frogger - a very similar design to the Fastback and more importantly available.

PipeDreams / Brian
Thanks for both your threads guys. I've taken the AX10 out for the last time today on its Axial chassis. Soon as Casey can get the Frogger to me the build starts in earnest. I'll certainly be running a dig as I have an unused DNA sitting here but I'm really tempted to build up one with and one without as I have two full AX10's.

You really captured what's worked and not worked, some of with I've already discovered as I've developed the stock kit but other things - like shock placement and bta are valuable.
Thanks!
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #184
RCC Addict

No worries but don't thank me... I just looked at other guys doing it before me like Dicky T and Gunnar. They did this stuff long before we did lol. But it's always nice to have an updated thread to keep this good info at the top for guys to check out.

I scrounged up a board today from my house reno's. Almost 4' by about 12.5". I'll cover it with carpet this week and hopefully start some angle testing this week. I wanna do incline and side hill angles and obviously test different link positions to see if I can get it any better.

Also I think once I have enough cash saved up in my xr project for motors and batteries I will end up getting a new one for this rig too. Doing 45t and 4s on the xr and I think I'm gonna do the same on this rig. But for now I'm liking my 3s and really the only reason I want to change is so both my rigs run the same stuff... nice to have back ups if I need it!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #185
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
No worries but don't thank me... I just looked at other guys doing it before me like Dicky T and Gunnar. They did this stuff long before we did lol. But it's always nice to have an updated thread to keep this good info at the top for guys to check out.
Don't forget Billj's fastback thread. I got most my ideas from Bill and Gunnar. Check out Gunnar's narrow FF4 build
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #186
RCC Addict

Ya there is so many I can't name them all... EP had some great builds too. If you search it's all there!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #187
RCC Addict

Well I'm waiting on parts for my xr so I thought I'd update this build. Sat night I have the last comp ever with this rig

Have no fear my FastBack II will be here... soon I hope.

Along with the new pimp chassis I'll be doing some re-working on the front diff. Seems the kick is sporty builds right now and with that comes new low servo and battery mounts. I have a few thoughts in my head that I wanna try and see if they work. My aim is to get a bit more castor and get the servo and battery as low as I can. I'm gonna try and maintain the upper link type mounting I have now along with all this so we'll see how it all goes. Not sure if I'll keep bta or not. I don't wheel on much big natural rock, more rock piles. With that comes a lot of front end hits from rock edges so front steering really sucks extra big time on my type of crawling. If I can keep the tie rod up high enough it might keep it out of the way but I really don't know if it'll be better then the bta... but the bta makes it much harder to get more castor... of course it can be done as gunnar has shown but he went through more work then I'd like too lol. Everything is a give and take. I'll be in the shop tomorrow morn to plan a few things and see if I can figure a little more out.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #188
RCC Addict

Well got 2nd in the comp today. Was still using my cold tire setup but the rocks have warmed up and after the comp went through the course with my summer tire setup and did way way better. Oh well live and learn.

Once my new FB gets here I'll start ripping this one down unless I'm tied up with my xr. 1 project at a time lol. Looked at my front axle a bit today. Might flip my knuckles and do a front tie rod with the servo arm moving in the same motion as the knuckles. With enough castor or spacers I should be able to get the tie rod high enough it won't get caught on rocks and with the servo arm swinging in the same motion I'll maintain the best servo power and throw. The tough part will be mounting the servo tilted back standing up and fitting it low and back enough for the tie rod to turn to full lock. I might down size to some 850 batteries to hopefully keep everything out of the tires too. We'll see how it goes once I get it all ripped apart but that my plan thus far.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #189
Rock Crawler

My 850mah genaces work great on the front! They have a 5c charge rate, so at a 4amp charge there balanced in 15min. And there is room to move the servo more to the middle.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #190
RCC Addict

Ya I'll order some cheap battery packs from Chris at cheapbatterypacks.com. He's a killer vendor here on the board.

Well I got my FBII yesterday. But I got bad news. On Sunday a friend of mines garage burnt down with his full size buggy inside. Pretty much lost every thing with the exception of the odd tool that we're hoping will dry out. He was on target to finish this 6 year project before his wedding in June and had planned to use it for his wedding vehicle. With that dream crushed he found out that he too has no coverage for his shop or buggy. Being his best man I am stepping up to the plate and starting a fundraiser to get him some new tools and things to get another buggy on the roll. I have a garage but it's still new and hasn't been setup for fab work yet. With that said I will be putting everything I can into my garage to make it a shop so we can use it and start on his new buggy. So far it looks like one guy from our local forum has donated a new vehicle and another t-case to start it. It looks like a few guys are making donations and so far so good. With all of this going on now I will just not have time to re do my front plate at this time. I will toss my FBII plates on and get it running for the odd time I have to crawl. But for the next few months I'll be helping him get back on his feet with his new buggy. But don't worry I'll get the front plate done when this is all done or it gets to cold to work in the shop.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #191
RCC Addict

Well with no time to crawl this summer I've decided to part out some parts of this rig. Gonna take the trans and diff and swap them to a TTC rig... if you're interested in anything you see hit me up. There's an add in the FS section with most of it on there... more will be added as it becomes available. It didn't change at all from the last pics in case anyone was wondering.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #192
Rock Crawler

Sorry to hear about your buddy, but way to step up. Thats a good friend. Hope to see you get some time to get your next one together.

-Trent
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #193
RCC Addict

Thx man. JUst have a bit more landscaping to do around the house and then I'll have lots of time to start working on the XR and TTC rig.