Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: PipeDreams Sporty FastBack Build!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Ya if it comes to that I will for sure.... Nice front plate in your build! Great minds think a like lol... I"m curious to see it used in a bta! I'd like to see how much clearance it's got.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Well I went crawling yesterday after I lowered my belly a bit to 2 7/8 front and 3 rear. Works good but my front shocks are hitting the upper links when it's flexing. I know I have stock shocks but I have almost 5/8 of spacers inside just to get that belly! How much do the rest of FB guys run? I'm getting big bores soon cause I keep ripping the shock caps off of these. Along with ripping a front shock cap off this time I also destroyed a stock dog bone. Would have made a great vid but to late. Truck jumped in the air on a climb but didn't get up and came down with the left front tire touching the top of the rock first and cranked full.... and BOOM just shattered the ball. I"m hoping to get the front down a little more and file the rod ends a touch where they meet the links... they are a touch bigger and get hung up now and then. Only real big question is how much do you guys run for internal spacers and do your front shocks hit the upper links on articulation too?
You could do this
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

nice looking rig
carzlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Ya something like that would work too... I'll figure that part out when the time comes! Thanks for th pic.

Thanks man but keep watching it's gonna get a lot better in the next few months.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Ok I'm about to order a motor! I'm super torn on which one to get. I've been reading and everyone loves the Broods and HH. I'm going with a 35t but can't decide if I should get a Brood 7.5mm comm with 2 magnet can, Brood 10mm comm with 4 magnet can , or a HH 10mm with 2 magnet can. Can't decide if the huge comm size that makes the motor so smooth like butter and lots of torque worth the decreased brush life or get a small comm and get extended brush life with a little less torque and more hp?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Well I'm set on Motor just waiting to here back from EddieO on a brood motor. Both came out with great reviews and no one here has any experience with either but the guys here know about HH as some guys run his ESC. So I decided to bring Brood into the mix and get his name out here. Hoping to order my motor tomorrow.

Slight hold up on ordering the VP stuff I want as they are missing something I need and won't have it for at least 2 weeks. So trying to fill an order up a bit more I may throw a few SLW in there to match my DH coming. One bad thing about living up north and ordering down south is waiting on parts. Can't decide if I should just wait or get the SLW or both lol. I'll figure something out!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I'm set on Motor just waiting to here back from EddieO on a brood motor. Both came out with great reviews and no one here has any experience with either but the guys here know about HH as some guys run his ESC. So I decided to bring Brood into the mix and get his name out here. Hoping to order my motor tomorrow.

Slight hold up on ordering the VP stuff I want as they are missing something I need and won't have it for at least 2 weeks. So trying to fill an order up a bit more I may throw a few SLW in there to match my DH coming. One bad thing about living up north and ordering down south is waiting on parts. Can't decide if I should just wait or get the SLW or both lol. I'll figure something out!
Brood is very well known. Eddie has been making motors for a long time. I have run his motors in 1/10 buggy and stadium truck years ago. You will like the motors!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Thanks that's what it seems... Haven't read one bad thing about the motors. He has answered so many of my questions via pm I owe it to him to buy one. A1 customer service on his part. Quick and prompt on reply he's been a huge help!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Well I ordered a 35t type R. Get the best of all worlds. 4 mag can for smooth start ups and low end plus small 7.5 mm comm for blistering high hp. Add the right gearing and it should make for a deadly combo... Can't wait to try it... of course this is all in 10 working days after it ships cause I'm up over yonder and it takes forever to get here lol.

Next is VP... I'll have to figure that one out soon.

My shocks should be in tomorrow at my lhs so I'll be grabbing those and a guy on here is going to snap a few pics of an fxr, mamba micro, sidewinder all side by side so I can see some size comparisons. I'm curious if a mamba micro will fit under the front plate? I know the fxr will but anyone know about the micro?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #50
Suck it up!

Quote:
I'm curious if a mamba micro will fit under the front plate?

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #51
RCC Addict

I'm guessing that means no? lol... I'm reading mixed reviews wether or not they handle 3s and 35t motors too.... Only ESC I can think of that fits under the front plate that can handle that would be an FXR. Any other ideas?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #52
Suck it up!

I don't know if it'll fit or not, I just thought the hammer was a funny answer to your question.

It seems to me that someone managed to stuff a regular sized Sidewinder under their battery/servo plate a while back. I would say you should be able to measure a few things and then get the specs from Castles website. HH might even have the info on his site as well...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Oh man IDK if I could fit that and still get enough steering and front clearance... I'll just have to get my steering setup then try and see what I can fit under there! I'd like to fit all my electronics but that might be wishful thinking... we'll see how small things get when I shrink wrap them all lol

Last edited by PipeDreams; 10-15-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Picked up my shocks, oil, and some springs today... Going to my buddies tonight to see if he can make me a set of spring cups and some drill bushings. Gotta love having machinist friends lol
Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #55
RCC Addict

OK I just ordered some VP stuff... got razor shock mounts, and some Zero Ackerman knuckles. Decided to wait on the SLW's in case I find a set over the next few months. If not I'll order up a set of SLW's when I have the rest of this done and on the truck. Other then my fxr I have ordered or have everything now for my upgrade. New truck specs will be:

Chassis and Suspension
UGC FB chassis
Steel lower links, rears bent 30*, front straight, all with Revo ends
Delrin Upper links f/r all straight with 3mm Traxxas rod ends
Traxxas Big bore shocks #2662
VP razor shock mounts in the rear

Electronics
Jr 8711 steering servo
CC/BEC hardwire to servo
Dx3R
OG MM lol but a Tekin FXR will be very soon
Brood 35t type R
Hyperion 1100 Mah 35C

Drive train
Ax-10 trans
RR idler gear
RR 1 pc lower output gear
BWD light motor plate
Geared 12/87 for now till I tune more
Axial diff f/r
Super 300's
HD gears
Local made Beef tubes
Aluminum C's with lots of caster
VP Zero Ackerman knuckles
My own bta
Not sure on front plate... either my own or a Duuuuuude plate if they come out in time
Rear STRC straight axles with 3rd bearing add on
UD gears
UGC D mount
MIP center shafts with a shorty up front

Rims and Rubber
VP DH front
VP SLW rear
Crawler Innovations foam f/r
Choice of Sedona's, Rovers, and Leopards f/r

Last edited by PipeDreams; 10-17-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Thats a nice list of partsWe have alot of the same products.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Seems like i have read somewhere that zero ackerman knuckles dont work with a bta. I think Gunnar commented on it, and we all know he knows his sh_t!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #58
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post
Seems like i have read somewhere that zero ackerman knuckles dont work with a bta. I think Gunnar commented on it, and we all know he knows his sh_t!
Oh, really? My FF-4 has a zero Ackerman BTA.

And so did this rig:

Hey this rig had it too:

What I said is if you don't have zero-ack knucks, you should run some toe-in to reduce the ackerman effect in a BTA setup.

Last edited by gunnar; 10-15-2010 at 10:01 PM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #59
RCC Addict

HA HA ya Bill I've been takin little from here little from there. Shocks and steering from gunnar and the rest from you and DT! I figure if it's good enough for you guys it's more then good enough for me! Although I'm going to run 1 inch SLW to your 1.35 the one hard thing might be getting the right spring rates to match some shocks setups. Got all the recommended oil today too lol

Thanks for clearing that up for him Gunnar... made me chuckle when I read it. I think in my personal experience that Zero ack knucks are the best way to go for any steering setup. Gets the best angles so the tie rod doesn't bind when turned really sharp and the tire is against a rock plus both tires turn the same so no matter what tire is in the air or on the rock you know you're getting max steering!

Just got back from my Machinist buddies and he's making me custom drill bushings with a little more meat to them to keep the bit more square while drilling plus he's making me some spring cups like JND c-cups but small enough to fit my little losi springs and fit on my big bore rod ends. Life is good. Can't wait for all my parts to come in and start putting it all together!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Damn, I don't remember who told me that the zero ackerman knucles wouldn't work, but I listened. I ordered VP high steers and they are not nearly as parallel at full cock as Gunnar's rigs with zero ackerman knuckles. Wish I hadn't listened to who ever it was that said that.

I guess that is one bad thing about a forum. Anyone can share their opinion and advise. Wheter they are qualified to give advise is anoter story.