Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: PipeDreams Sporty FastBack Build!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default PipeDreams Sporty FastBack Build!!!

Alright after takin the Fastback on a stroll at our last comp I decided to ditch my sling shot for a chassis I feel has more potential. It was a last min thing I put together so I had 1 battery through it the night before and I managed to grab 4th with no drive time and the truck wasn't setup well at all.

Had an old crawler with a narrowed stock chassis that I took everything off of. Following some advice from Gunnar, DickyT, BillJ, and Rocky666 I had great setup guide lines to go by. So I have to give a big thanks to those guys for the great builds. I'm now pulling it back apart to re-do somethings and get it dialed in even better and closer to how they have their rigs. Anyway here's some pics and specs of it the day I ran it.

Mamba Max (old school)
CC/BEC
Hobbico CS170
Dx3E
Cheap Integy 35T
Eritex Comp Heavy axial offset fronts with Sedona's
Eritex Comp Solids berg offset rear with rovers
Axial CVD with Gunnar Pin
Axial BTA
Aluminum C's
STRC rear straight axle with extra bearing
Underdrive Rear gears
Stock Axial shocks with WK springs
Straight front lower Brake line links
Straight front&rear upper links 5/16 delrin rod
30 degree bent lower rear brake line links
And some crappy panels I made quick to make it legal lol.

On my second last gate of the day I had a link break off the diff and rip a shock apart but still managed to finish without repair! An earlier course I also Snapped an axial cvd with gunnar pin inside. But that one I had to take a repair

PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

About time we get to see this Looks good.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

I've always wondered about bolting directly to those posts...wonder no more!

Glad to see this finally running

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 09-29-2010 at 05:19 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I always wondered about bolting directly to those posts...wonder no more!

Glad to see this finally running
i used to run mine to them, but did that too many times and went back to a plate
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Build is looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
i used to run mine to them, but did that too many times and went back to a plate
Same here.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I've always wondered about bolting directly to those posts...wonder no more!
They have a tendency to break the posts that way. Medium bind is all it takes. Rear plate or better yet UGC D plate is the way to go
Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
They have a tendency to break the posts that way. Medium bind is all it takes. Rear plate or better yet UGC D plate is the way to go
It looks like the passenger rear is already broken.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby View Post
It looks like the passenger rear is already broken.
So it is. I missed that when I took a quick glance at the photo and was drawn to the shock.

I win the captain obvious award for the week...
Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Ya it broke in the comp... I kinda expected it to but I'm still waiting on my UGC plate. Should be here any day now I hope. I'll post up all the new goodies I'll be getting soon. The plate is just one of many.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty good, except the broken parts of course!
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

you placed 5th in the comp actuality lol.
cant wait to see it all dialed in
samuraikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Looks good. Typically I run the Lower links in delrin and the uppers in aluminum. The delrin slides better, and the aluminum is stiffer and will keep the axles aligned better and last longer if you get a dig.
mxracer33x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Ya you guys did warn me of the link breaking off but I was willing to take my chances and see... I even used super long hardware hoping it would help! Oh well my link mount should be here soon if it's not in the mailbox already. Maybe I'll check! Nope still not.

I was torn on what to do for links.. I like how delrin slides but I hate how much it flexes... Smashing it against ledges you can watch it bend! That's why I went with the brake line for lowers... stiff and strong as all hell... plus it keeps the weight nice and low. Uppers well they don't need to be as stout with no dig and I wanted to reduce as much weight up high as I can so I went delrin!

Well I got a few things I need to decide on... I'm trying to keep the weight as low as I can and as little rotating weight as possible. Thus I'm thinking of getting some felsenfest knuckles and weights with either VP slw or wheel works rims. Just don't know if I can get enough weight in front as I need with that setup or if I'll be forced to get DH instead?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Man I did some number crunching... to get those knuckle weights to even come close to a DH empty you need 5 added plates in an slw 725 hub and it still isn't even as heavy as the DH is empty lol... I guess I'm gonna go with the DH/SLW...Damn that's a chunk of cash, but still not as much as the knuckle weights! What do you guys think? What hubs you guys run for your DH and SLW?

Last edited by PipeDreams; 10-01-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

That looks sick!!!
-TC5racer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Man I did some number crunching... to get those knuckle weights to even come close to a DH empty you need 5 added plates in an slw 725 hub and it still isn't even as heavy as the DH is empty lol... I guess I'm gonna go with the DH/SLW...Damn that's a chunk of cash, but still not as much as the knuckle weights! What do you guys think? What hubs you guys run for your DH and SLW?
Keep you eye on the classified section for the wheels. I got lucky and got a set (4) dh pro comps and a set(4) SLW V1's for $230. It worked out prefect,one set for me and one for my son. Point is if your not in a big hurry for the rims, maybe watch the classifieds. Or put a add in the wanted section. Im using 585 hubs for the DH in front,600 for the SLW V1 in rear.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanks TC! But this is really just a quick build up so far and I can do much better... Check out some of the other guys I've mentioned. Their FB and FF are just plain nutty. Hoping when it's done mine will be half as pretty as theirs lol.

Ya I think that's what i will do... Hard sometimes when I'm not always home... I drive truck for a living and last time I was hunting the for sale section VP wheels flew fast! But I got all winter to keep an eye out for them. Am I getting this wrong? you have a wider hex in the rear then the front?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Well I'm ordering some parts for the beast today...

The new BWD motor plate to help keep weight off the top. http://billet-works.com/axial_ax-10_parts
Some super 300's
Some VP zero acker knuckles
and some VP shock mounts...

I know my birthday is coming soon so I'm planning on getting some new traxxas big bores and a tekin fxr from my LHS or as a gift.

I was gonna try out the Felsenfest knuckles and weights but I just can't justify the cost so the VP's and some weighted wheels will have to do. Watching the For sale section for some wheels isn't easy when I'm gone 4 days a week

If I don't find any by spring I guess I'll just have to get some new ones!

Last edited by PipeDreams; 10-06-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Thanks TC! But this is really just a quick build up so far and I can do much better... Check out some of the other guys I've mentioned. Their FB and FF are just plain nutty. Hoping when it's done mine will be half as pretty as theirs lol.

Ya I think that's what i will do... Hard sometimes when I'm not always home... I drive truck for a living and last time I was hunting the for sale section VP wheels flew fast! But I got all winter to keep an eye out for them. Am I getting this wrong? you have a wider hex in the rear then the front?
The SLW wheel does not have as much offset as the DH procomp. With sedonas on front my track is 10 3/4". on the rear with rovers my track is 9 3/4". I was also looking at the BWD motor plate, lets us know how that works for you,thanks

Last edited by billj; 10-06-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Wow that's a huge difference! I think I'm at 10.25 in front right now and it's not wide enough... I'll need it wider with the new 300's! Your's rub links or anything turned full?