Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: swx shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default swx shocks

I'm in the process of building my first comp truck. I'm running an swx chassis with the stock shocks at the moment. The problem, as many of you know, when the shock is fully extended the driveshafts hit the skid. I know the fuel tubing trick but plan on getting some aftermarket shocks. My question is should I get the 100mm or 110mm. The axial comp shocks are 103mm but I'm just starting and they're a bit too pricey for me. I believe the 110's will stop the driveshaft/skid issue but will this still be too much flex? Obviously I can shorten the stroke of the 110's with fuel tube but if the 100's are more correct it saves me the trouble. Just wondering what you experienced folks recommend. Thanks all! D.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Axial shocks are my first recommendation, yes they are spendy, but worth it. Next recommendation would be traxxas big bores, stay away from Losi's, they leak like a mother!
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm running an SWX right now, and using 3Racing shocks. I have them set up semi-droop, with pen springs under the piston, and the internal springs they come with cut in half, and put on top of the piston. If I remember right, they have 70wt in the rear, and 50, or 60wt in the front. I've never done a comp, but I've run comp lines, and I think it does very well, especially considering the shocks were $39. Hope that helps a little. That SWX is a seriously good chassis!
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i run maxx shocks with the cap mod and losi springs...cheapest and best setup i have came across i tired the axial shocks and did not like them

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3-3-T-MAXX-S...item19bba28cd1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Losi-2-75-Spring...item35a7396c75
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well first let me say I appreciate all the advice and comments so far. However, I was really looking for a specific leangth of shock. Thanks again. D.

Last edited by Bukwylde; 04-22-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think most comp chassis center around a 4" shock, which is the length of the Axial comp shocks. 4"=101.6mm.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper_05 View Post
stay away from Losi's, they leak like a mother!
I have been running losi's on my SWX since it came out with no leak issues.
See65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

my losi's have never leaked
slc4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #9

My losi shocks have never leaked have had them over a year now!
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Ummmmm ok

Hunh, I was just wondering if people actually read the questions before posting.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Default But we all learned something didn't we?

I realize your question did not really get answered but we all learned something didn't we? I kindof like the forum idea anyway since your questions lead to discussion which might help us all out. Anyway I know nothing about the chassis you are running but I do know I had to get my stock shocks down to 100 from the stock length for my FF4. I went to home depot and bought a spring kit (86 pieces) and went about 1/4 droop on all corners. I like the spring versus the fuel tube because you still get the travel back in certain circumstances if a wheel gets pulled.

Your question brings up another question. By simply reducing travel does this shorten travel versus buying the right length shock and getting a shorter body and getting more travel?
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

first wow....you guys with losi shocks are very lucky. I run them on my axial and my mini and they both leak.

I realize your specific length question hasn't been answered but in a way it has. They aren't telling specific length but they are all telling you what shocks work. Which in my opinion is the most important....tried and proven set ups. And like you said you can limit your shocks to your own liking and set up preferences no matter what shock you choose. Also you have multiple shock placement options with the SWX chassis. You just gotta pick some shocks and tune them to your liking.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I had the same problem on my SWX with Losi crawler shocks. I actually marked where the shaft hit and dremeled a little away from the skid. Gained about 1/4" flex and no more touching!!!
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Your question brings up another question. By simply reducing travel does this shorten travel versus buying the right length shock and getting a shorter body and getting more travel?
Reducing travel as opposed to having a shorter shock should have no adverse affect if done correctly. I've decide to go with the 110's for that reason. They should be long enough to eliminate the skid scraping but allow be to tune more in the future. As to dremmeling the skid it's always an option, however the current crop of "pros" seem to be in favour of limiting travel not increasing it. I believe 110's will give me the flexibility to tune to my driving style. (When I have one!)
Old 05-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

yeah i just cut my skid a little bit, and now after reading this i think im going shock shopping...........thanks guys
kgraham204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well I just installed my 110mm shocks today, and to my horror they still touch a bit at full extension. So I may have to use fuel tube after all. All well. I may just leave it because there won't be too many circumstances where both front wheels are off the ground anyway. After I install my dig the rear won't be a problem either. Just thought every one should know.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I have the same issue in mine. I ran it in a droop setup with the stock axial shocks and internal springs from TCS. A fellow crawler recommended installing the super soft axial springs and trying a semi droop. It works really well but there is still a little drive shaft rubbing at full extension.
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote