Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My Fastback build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up My Fastback build

Got the package yesterday, and everything was very well wrapped and hardware bagged. He included a business card and stickers. That was the only paper....no instructions for chassis construction or mounting AX-10 hardware. Not a thank you note, not even a parts inventory.
Note: This is NOT a direct bolt on replacement for a stock AX-10!

If you want to go the easiest route, it appears that you need 10mm longer on one set of "Y" arms (two tubes), and 20mm longer on the other set...don't remember which is front or back (you'll end up with the mounts connecting on the outside of the chassis). You should also get 4 verticle angled rod ends to eliminate the minimal binding on the lower shafts at the chassis.

I had ordered the AX-10 version of the chassis, so I didn't expect any difficulties. Maybe I missed something on the website that points this out. I noticed that for the other "builds", everyone had already changed to 4 link or something else to where they didn't have the problem.

So I guess I'm going back to my stock ARTR version until I figure out the route I want to take.

Last edited by JustinThyme; 10-28-2010 at 03:00 PM.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Much like any other "decent" aftermarket chassis, you have to make links for it to work properly.

Notice that in the other builds, everyone has made their own, or had made for them, links that are not stock. After you get the links, ask DickyT he'll gladly tell you what length they are(Or search), you can mock up suspension and shocks and such. It takes a little more time than "bolt on and go", but it's worth it in the end.

Check the build threads and see what you're up against. Don't give up, it'll be a much better performer when it's built.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The fastback is definitely not a bolt-on, it's a totally different suspension geometry compared to stock (FB is a 60/40 design, vs the 50/50 stock).

If you pay attention to some of the other FB builds (esp. DickyT's), it can be made into a serious performer. It's on my short list of things to do for my ax10.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Getting longer links and changing rod ends are considered difficulties?

If you wanted a direct bolt on, you should have ordered an Integy chassis. I hear that they are frickin sweet, man.

helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I dont see anywhere (ugc website) where it says "direct replacement for ax-10?"These are aftermarket 2.2 chassis, need to make links.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Sometimes, I make things.

You really need to do more research before you buy the wrong things. Over half the chassis available for the ax10 require you to build links. The Underground chassis are all top notch product, and nowhere have I ever seen Juan say they were direct bolt on replacements. I bet I spent over 100 hours looking at other peoples builds before I started on my own, you can never do enough research. I have an FF4 I am building w/ some Poulson Axles and it is coming along nicely. If you want direct replacement parts you need to look for items that say they are direct replacement for stock units, but most of them are just visual upgrades and will get you little in the way of performance.

There is a wealth of information on this forum, it would be wise to use it.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Very sorry to hear about your disappointment

No, the website does not say anything about it "not being a direct bolt on replacement". The F-4 and FF-4 pages however do, and I'll be sure to update the Fastback page tonight.

I've never offered links before since many drivers prefer to make their own...it gives them more flexibility in their tuning options, and is actually quite easy to do.

If you have problems, post up here and I can help you out, or you can check out what many consider to be the "Fastback Bible".....DickyT's Thread. Richard knows a TON about setup for the FF-4 and Fastback.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The Fastback is a 60/40 design, it's purpose is to shift weight forward. The chassis is one of the best, in my biased opinion the best ax10 chassis on the market.

Some work is required though, it is not a direct bolt on. Ordering the ax10 version means that C*H*U*D* predrills the skid plate for the ax10 transmission at no extra charge, rather than sending you a skid with no holes.

If you look at some of the builds in this section you can get an idea of link types and how to make them.

The measurements are 4 1/4" eye to eye on the fronts, 5 1/16" eye to eye on the rears.

The chassis will also require modifications to the front and possibly rear drive shafts. Shorten the front, and lengthen the rear unless running a dig, then a standard size shaft works..

If you need any help getting it running shoot me a PM, I will be happy to lend a hand!

Last edited by DickyT; 10-07-2010 at 02:00 PM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

all kidding aside....

I have seen a Fastback in action and I was very impessed. Give it some time, a little love and some longer links lol and I think that you will love it!
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

...... the fastback was built for the ax-10 ..... but heck i made it fit and work with a G-made R1!!!

its the building and customizing that makes rc crawling so fulfilling !!!

my R1 was reborn after adapting the fastback chassis!!!
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Getting longer links and changing rod ends are considered difficulties?

If you wanted a direct bolt on, you should have ordered an Integy chassis. I hear that they are frickin sweet, man.

That is the most awesomist chassis mine eyes have ever seen! Same geometry as stock with more material to make it heavier above the axles, where can I get one?
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Justinthyme- I just sent you a pm but just in case you do not get it, You are apparently not far from me. I have a drill press, delrin and just about everything you could need to get this thing rockin. Give me a shout and lets get together to get your chassis up and running. I have done a ton of things the wrong way from the start so I also might be able to save you a ton of time and money.

Don't fret to much. You have just purchased probably my favorite upgrade for my ax10 and the main reason I have not switched from the shafty world to a MOA.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

if your having problems building a fastback right off the start you may want to think about another chassis. i however have loved my fastback from day 1.
keithgemmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Justinthyme- I just sent you a pm but just in case you do not get it, You are apparently not far from me. I have a drill press, delrin and just about everything you could need to get this thing rockin. Give me a shout and lets get together to get your chassis up and running. I have done a ton of things the wrong way from the start so I also might be able to save you a ton of time and money.

Don't fret to much. You have just purchased probably my favorite upgrade for my ax10 and the main reason I have not switched from the shafty world to a MOA.
This is one of the reasons i dig rc crawling, there are some really good people here. Way to step up RickM And yes SHAFTYS rule!!
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
RCC Addict

No worries BillJ. The way I see it, I have abused all of you guys for a while asking for advice. This hopefully will be a way to pay it forward. Plus I found a delrin dealer in the area but I had to order about 10 feet of it. I gotta get rid of it somehow.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Don't get me wrong, I love the chassis. I just think it would be beneficial to the community if this was clear on the website. I don't mind the extra work, and other parts change....I just would have preferred to know this was required going in.

I know that especially with custom chassis, chances are everyone has made tons of changes already. But a short FYI with the minimum requirements to upgrade from stock would be helpful.

I'm not giving up on it. I've already ordered some of the parts I think I'll need, and have an offer from a local user willing to give me a hand.

So, I will be up and running with a Fastback in a few weeks.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
Hateraide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the chassis. I just think it would be beneficial to the community if this was clear on the website. I don't mind the extra work, and other parts change....I just would have preferred to know this was required going in.

I know that especially with custom chassis, chances are everyone has made tons of changes already. But a short FYI with the minimum requirements to upgrade from stock would be helpful.

I'm not giving up on it. I've already ordered some of the parts I think I'll need, and have an offer from a local user willing to give me a hand.

So, I will be up and running with a Fastback in a few weeks.

you have been pestering people in there FB builds and yet you got one and then realise thats it doesnt bolt on right away well thats your own fault really for not paying attention to the threads you read
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Got the package yesterday, and everything was very well wrapped and hardware bagged. He included a business card and stickers. That was the only paper....no instructions for chassis construction or mounting AX-10 hardware. Not a thank you note, not even a parts inventory.
Note: This is NOT a direct bolt on replacement for a stock AX-10!

If you want to go the easiest route, it appears that you need 10mm longer on one set of "Y" arms (two tubes), and 20mm longer on the other set...don't remember which is front or back (you'll end up with the mounts connecting on the outside of the chassis). You should also get 4 verticle angled rod ends to eliminate the minimal binding on the lower shafts at the chassis.

I had ordered the AX-10 version of the chassis, so I didn't expect any difficulties. Maybe I missed something on the website that points this out. I noticed that for the other "builds", everyone had already changed to 4 link or something else to where they didn't have the problem.

So I guess I'm going back to my stock ARTR version until I figure out the route I want to take.

that sucks you didnt research what you purchased.....

i mean, c'mon. you cant expect any aftermaket anything to really just bolt up unless there are big bold letters saying so.

if you dont know, then ask.

the fast back beats the living shit outta just about every AX10 chassis out there.

C*H*U*D* does some great stuff for the hobby.

give it another go bro. maybe C*H*U*D* could sell you some nice links for it?

but dont come on here and say your disappointed in a product because you didnt know what your were buying
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
That is the most awesomist chassis mine eyes have ever seen! Same geometry as stock with more material to make it heavier above the axles, where can I get one?

I'll sell you mine....

X2 on steppin up there RickM...Justin you should definitely take him up on that offer...

-

Last edited by TOMCAT18T; 10-07-2010 at 05:38 PM.
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Code454, I haven't been pestering people in multiple threads. There was one post in one thread that got a few peoples dander up. My apologies.

I've already made an appointment with RickM to work on my Fastback upgrade this Sunday. I have to buy a few parts, and he has some delrin for rods, so things look good.

I did look through the Fastback build threads, and did notice that everyone had done other upgrades/mods as well. I just didn't realize these were required. Most of the threads, like Bill's, show him starting with an already modified truck prior to the upgrade.

CHUD makes a great product, and I'm looking forward to getting it up and running. I have the servo/battery plate installed, and a new model Associated XP servo which has great numbers, and should work well in a crawler or 1/8 buggy, an Integy 45T motor, Novak Rooster Crawler ESC and Spectrum receiver. My radio is a tad old, a JR R-1, but it has a boatload of features.

But for a newbie, if a product is listed as a generic version and an AX-10 version, with no other clarification, it is not illogical to assume the AX-10 version works with the AX-10!

Many thanks to those that have given constructive feedback, I greatly appreciated it.

Last edited by JustinThyme; 10-07-2010 at 06:02 PM.