Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Am I on the right track??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #1

Default Am I on the right track??

Well I'm new to crawlers and this is my first one so go easy on me guys

I figured I'd start off buying a used rig instead of building one up myself from scratch and save a little bit of money. I found one and sent the guy a paypal for it. Here is what it has on it so far....

integy internally sprung shocks
integy 55 turn motor
Hot bodies Rovers tires
Gatecrasher 1 chassis
1 mip driveshaft (front) & 1 traxxas one
proline rockstar body
R2 disconnect transmission
Airtronics servo

I already ordered a Novak rooster ESC and all the mounting hardware for the batteries on the front axle as well as some packs from cheapbatterypacks. I was thinking of the TCS Edge tuber chassis sooner or later too. So guys....am I on the right track so far??
crfnick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
Well I'm new to crawlers and this is my first one so go easy on me guys

I figured I'd start off buying a used rig instead of building one up myself from scratch and save a little bit of money. I found one and sent the guy a paypal for it. Here is what it has on it so far....

integy internally sprung shocks
integy 55 turn motor
Hot bodies Rovers tires
Gatecrasher 1 chassis
1 mip driveshaft (front) & 1 traxxas one
proline rockstar body
R2 disconnect transmission
Airtronics servo

Welcome to the Forum

I already ordered a Novak rooster ESC and all the mounting hardware for the batteries on the front axle as well as some packs from cheapbatterypacks. I was thinking of the TCS Edge tuber chassis sooner or later too. So guys....am I on the right track so far??

good start i suggest for some upgrade first do caster blocks Knukles rear lock outs and when you do want to do another chassis i would suggest the undergroundcrawlers Fastback it is a lot better the the edge
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I would say yes. You may find with the rooster that a 55 turn is a little slow but as it is your first crawler slow is good for getting the feeling of what the rig can and can't do. I started with a 55 turn and went to a 45 later and find I like the 45 better but it's a matter of personal preference. The edge chassis does look pretty cool. I have never used it myself, but from what I have read in other posts it performs well. Look through some of the other pages in here I think there have been a few edge builds recently. It would be a good place to see what others liked and disliked about it.
Bruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #4

I have read a bunch of good stuff about the Edge chassis too, thats what influenced me....plus I love the tube chassis look.

and thanks, I'll look into the caster blocks and stuff that you mentioned!!

Any other suggestions of what this might need to be a good reliable crawler?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default pics

I would like to see some pics.The roster is limeted to 2c lipos.I run one in my sport but the holms is beter.and you can run more power.Nice start tho
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
RCC Addict

u can run the rooster with 3s if you have a lipo cut off and a bec
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurster View Post
I would like to see some pics.
I'll post some as soon as it gets here. Should be here early next week
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Sometimes, I make things.

This sounds like a good question for the guy, who lives in a van, down by the river! Haha

I haven't had great luck w/ integy stuff, there are better shocks out there for sure, for the price the integys are pretty good, but they are not top quality shocks IMO. MIP makes driveshafts for dig trannies too, they are sold in pairs for just a little more than indivudual shafts.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Are you planning on comping this? or just bashing? That might help make decisions on future parts. But you do have a good start. I always liked the look of the edge chassis, but im not sure how comp worthy it is? Im sure somebody will speak up with that info.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post

I KNOW...I KNOW!!!!! I said I'll post them as soon as I get the crawler, jeez...keep your pants on!!! hahah

And to billj, no comping for me...at least not in the near future. Maybe someday down the road but this is just for fun right now. If I ever decide to try my hand at competitive crawling I'll just get myself an XR10 or something like that
Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #12

Sorry for the delay, I've just been busy with non-RC stuff. I finally got some work done to the crawler and it was some good and bad. Turns out the issues I was having with lack of power was because the RC4WD and the fact that about 1/4 of the teeth were either missing or chipped and it was jamming amd binding up. Found out the hard way when it locked up and heated up the motor and smoke rolled out of it :( Well now I'm waiting for a Tekin motor to go with the Novak ESC and the 2S lipo I got

The good news is that I got the TCS tuber chassis and it looks absolutely killer and worked awesome untill I found the trans problem. I went back to a stock Axial trans setup (my dad has no need for a dig unit and honestly wouldnt understand it anyway). This leads me to a few questions though. Whats a good staring point for pipnion gear size with the tekin 45T motor and the stock Axial 87t spur gear?