Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: First crawler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default First crawler build

I'm new to the crawler world but not RC, I got a chance a few times to use a friends SCX10 and was instantly hooked. He then bought himself a hopped up AX10 that had all the original parts, which he passed onto me. So away I go building my first crawler (can't wait until it's finished up.

So far I've added these parts:

Integy TVP chassis plates
3Racing upper shock mounts
3Racing radio tray
3Racing shocks (which I'll be running the internal springs)
Axial machined links for the rear
Slipper clutch
Axial alum. rear lockouts
Axial/Bender rear 4 link plate
TCS 4 link front servo plate
ect....

I'm still waiting on an axle assembly, green upper links, and a centre trans mount. Once it's a complete roller I will decide on power but will most likely go with a Rooster Crawler and whatever 55t my LHS has at the time.

cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Wow!

67 views and no comments, geez what a warm welcome. Well I'm not interested in building a comp crawler just something that looks trick and will rock crawl and I know this rig will
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

It doesn't have to look nice, and crawling is a subjective thing. You can bolt a bunch of parts together and it will crawl...but if you want it to crawl GOOD, you might have some more work ahead of you.

Welcome to RCC
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Shiny.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default Thanks

I definatly have some work ahead of me, I'm alreadly not 100% satisfied with the shocks. I wanted to run the internal springs but it doesn't sound to good when they are compressed and pulled out, sounds like the oil will be full of aluminum shavings in no time. Kind of sucks because the bent links don't fit to good with the outer springs installed.

I do have alot to learn though, I've tried rock crawling 3-5 times with my buddys SCX10 and just fell for it. I'm coming from a mostly touring car backround though and for the last couple years bashing around an LST, I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone here how different my RC world just got LOL. As for the fancy look the truck is taking I just couldn't help it, the prices of the parts compared to some of my other cars and trucks is just so cheap I figured what the hell why not.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
As for the fancy look the truck is taking I just couldn't help it, the prices of the parts compared to some of my other cars and trucks is just so cheap I figured what the hell why not.
If you stick with it you'll learn that most of what you've purchased so far will get replaced by something more functional.

You'll also learn that most of us have no real use for shiny stuff, so don't take it personal.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default Aluminum

I use to buy alot of this kind of stuf for my touring cars, then when I got my LST I wanted to start throwing a bunch of aluminum goodies on it. As soon as I mentioned this to a good friend at my LHS he almost refused to order stuff for me and insisted that I'll bend it all as opposed to somewhat forgiving plastic. To make a long story short I have a couple bent RD Logics shocks towers for an LST if anyone is interested LOL. That LST was my first offroad vehicle and I learned alot about not worrying about breaking stuff from that truck. I'm sure parts will come and go on this AX10 as I get more into it, also as I search through this site and find what works and what doesn't for most.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
You'll also learn that most of us have no real use for shiny stuff, so don't take it personal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
mmmmm shiny!

Welcome to RCC cagedcbr

sorry Duuuuuuuude.......couldn't resist
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
sorry Duuuuuuuude.......couldn't resist
I only like shiny if its on something that works. Otherwise its useless.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default More parts

I'm off to the LHS soon to pick up my upper links and check if there is any status change on the rear axle. I noticed last time in they had some HB Rovers, I see alot of people using them so may grab those up aswell as long as they have 4 if not I think I saw 4 Chisels.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Very nice build sofar!! Theres a few things on urs that i have plans of doing to my ax10, cant wait for some feed back to see out it all works out
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default No axle

Thanks, Phantom. I will definatly have some feddback when I get wheelin', My buddy has a camera mounted on his crawler so we thought we could use it as a chase vehicle to make some cool vids aswell.

I haven't made it out to the shop yet (waiting for a friend who wanted to come along) but I did call and it looks like no ETA yet on the rear axle so I'll be waiting for awhile I guess. Same friend said he may sell me an axle off his SCX or AX since he may order some in aluminum. Also got my Betty body painted today, I'll post some shots shortly.

Last edited by cagedcbr; 11-10-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a decent start for a newbie for sure.

Things I would change:

- Inboard your lower link chassis mounts. Cut your stock skidplate and mount those suckers on the inside of the plates, Less hanging up that way
- Ditch that bling batter plate and get a batter mount or saddle pack mounts for your front axle. With the battery in the stock location it's way to top heavy
- Upgrade the lockers in the axles (can't tell what you're running by the pics or your description, so maybe you already did that?)

The Rooster Crawler ESC and a 55turn motor will be a pretty decent setup for what you are going to do with it, and you just can't go wrong with a set of white dot Rovers as your tires.

I'm with a lot of the guys here, shinny stuff usually means money I could have spent on other things that increase performance instead of making it look pretty. But hey, to each their own and if you got it......USE IT!!
glondark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default More pics

I will definatly be mounting the lower links inboard I just don't have my center plate yet and the battery plate will be only for the reciever and esc (will most likely go with what you mentioned). I have already ordered battery plates for the axle (should have just made them), most likely run a split pack with 3 cells on each side. As for the lockers I'm not sure because it seems there have been a few lockers in the different kits if I'm not mistaken, I bought the axle as a complete set and it has a green aluminum Axial locker in it that's all I know for know.

Here's a few quick pics from today, first is how I will mount my shocks and lower links at the axle (so the don't bind), I will of course fill the void area with some spacers. Also got my body painted today flat black on the outside and took some pics on my mini rock garden I started building in the corner of my backyard.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

It looks like the shocks angle inwards in the picture but they are actually straight up and down. And the lower links angle inwards of course. This is stuff I'm still learning for sure, bolting the truck together and buying the parts I've got down but angles wieghts ect... that will be the trying part for me.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I've actually got both mine and my sons ax10 setup slightly different.

Mine the lower link and the shock are both inside the stock axle mount, with the shock more towards the outside. Works pretty good in my application but I have custom bent lower links.

My son's crawler had the same machined axial links that you have and they are swapped from your pic, the link inside the mount and spaced towards the outside of the axle and the shock on the outside of the mount but towards the inside of the axle. If that makes any sense at all. hahaha
Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Nice, I like the flat look
awdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

So your son's truck has them in reverse? are both the links and shocks mounted within the mounting tabs like stock? I can't get them both in the stock location without the link wanting to lift the lower spring cup right off the shocks. Or are they like I have just reversed? It seems like such a small change it wouldn't make a difference I don't know yet, isn't it ideal to have the lower links angling outwards toward the axles and the upper links angled outwards towards the side plates?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks awdtsi, I'm going to ad some real pinstriping and maybe airbrush in some rusted areas. I've also started making a simple aluminum roll bar for the bed so I can mount a light bar eventually, does anyone have a link for hooking up 6 leds and running them on an RC vehicle. I've got a light kit on my drift car but I can't see how it's all soldered up because it's shrink wrapped
Old 11-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
So your son's truck has them in reverse? are both the links and shocks mounted within the mounting tabs like stock? I can't get them both in the stock location without the link wanting to lift the lower spring cup right off the shocks. Or are they like I have just reversed? It seems like such a small change it wouldn't make a difference I don't know yet, isn't it ideal to have the lower links angling outwards toward the axles and the upper links angled outwards towards the side plates?
With as angled as the upper links are, you can get away with more straight links and not have too much rear flex steer out of it.

I'll try and snap a pic of both my setups tonight when I get home. I don't have any issues with the shock cups coming off though.