Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Glitchy out of the box RTC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

Default Glitchy out of the box RTC

So I get my new AX10 RTC this AM. Box stock no mods ...yet

First thing I notice is that its much faster than I exspected for a crawler. @nd thing I notice is that there seems to be some glitchiness with either the radio or ESC or maybe both.

I found the 20t gear that came with it and it slowed things down some. But the throttle forward dosent repond very well. Even after messing with the trim it still seams to be having some issue. BTW this isnt my first RC by any means, so plenty of hours in the past with electric buggies, trucks and monster 4x4 plus a few nitro's.

In reverse the thing just scoots like it was shot out of a cannon....very little speed control....seems to be all or nothing. Forward dosent do anything....pull the trigger 2-3 times and no forward motion....sometimes it works with quick jabs....sometimes I can roll it on slowly, but most times if I try and just ease the throttle, nothing at all happens right from neutral to wide open.

Is this common with the OEM radio from Axial? I have a Futaba 3 PMx for my Baja, maybe I should concider picking up aother FASST receiver and call it done.

Or have anyone run into this before? Is it that Im not setting the trim properly?....ive done this a 1000 times before, but maybe Im not quite getting something with this. OR maybe is it something up with the OEM ESC?

Any insight would be great.

TIA
Todd
whatwasithinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

There is a similar thread in the SCX-10 forum. For some reason, some of the Axial stuff seems to require a BEC for the servo to eliminate glitchiness. My SCX-10 does it, and I have experience like you. Everyone who has reported this problem said this cured it for them. Probably something to do with the quality of the stock electronics.

Chances are, if you upgrade your ESC and servo, you may not have the problem. The only reason I'm not positive, is because you still have Axial's receiver and radio. If you're a seasoned RCer, then you may already have a 2.4 system. If so, get a receiver for it also, and you eliminate the extra transmitter laying around

I'm running stock ESC and servo, 2.4 receiver, and I still get glitches. People have been saying to put the servo on the BEC. With good electronics, you should be able to run everything fine without a BEC.

As for speed, are you sure you got the RTC and not the RTR? The RTR is Ready to Race and would likely be faster than RTC. If you do indeed have the RTC, it's probably just that with the glitches, by the time the ESC finely get's the OK to go forward you've been punching the throttle and it engages at full. That's my guess.

Don't give up on it, these things can be a blast. Spend the $25 on a Castle Creations BEC, and you should be OK.

Good Luck!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
There is a similar thread in the SCX-10 forum. For some reason, some of the Axial stuff seems to require a BEC for the servo to eliminate glitchiness. My SCX-10 does it, and I have experience like you. Everyone who has reported this problem said this cured it for them. Probably something to do with the quality of the stock electronics.

Chances are, if you upgrade your ESC and servo, you may not have the problem. The only reason I'm not positive, is because you still have Axial's receiver and radio. If you're a seasoned RCer, then you may already have a 2.4 system. If so, get a receiver for it also, and you eliminate the extra transmitter laying around

I'm running stock ESC and servo, 2.4 receiver, and I still get glitches. People have been saying to put the servo on the BEC. With good electronics, you should be able to run everything fine without a BEC.

As for speed, are you sure you got the RTC and not the RTR? The RTR is Ready to Race and would likely be faster than RTC. If you do indeed have the RTC, it's probably just that with the glitches, by the time the ESC finely get's the OK to go forward you've been punching the throttle and it engages at full. That's my guess.

Don't give up on it, these things can be a blast. Spend the $25 on a Castle Creations BEC, and you should be OK.

Good Luck!
Thanks.

It is the RTC. I do have a 3PMx radio for my Baja, so I might snag the BEC and give that a shot before picking up another receiver.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

When I got my RTC I hade the same problem. It turned out the radio and reciever didnt have matching channels. The LHS I bought it from fixed it by installing a matching set in my radio/reciever.
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

How do you guys like this crawler overall? Im really trying to decide on this one or the Losi NightCrawler and so far i want to go with the night crawler because it has the worm gear and a lower center of gravity. Other then that they seem pretty much the same to me.
KrazyKrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKrawler48 View Post
How do you guys like this crawler overall? Im really trying to decide on this one or the Losi NightCrawler and so far i want to go with the night crawler because it has the worm gear and a lower center of gravity. Other then that they seem pretty much the same to me.

for me it was the same choise, either the LNC or the AX10 or possible the XR10. For now I ruled out the XR10 untill I have a better understanding of dual motors and various electrics. Basically going with the KISS method or Keep It Simple Stupid approach

I guess at that point after spending a lot of time reading different threads on both machines in various forums, I narrowed it down to the AX10. The worm gears in the LNC seem to be a love'm or hate'm part of the vehicle from what I read...and other than some minor flaws the AX10 seemed to have the best following.

So far I havent had enough time to run mine yet, other than a few minutes in the house. I had realy hoped to find a kit version of this minus the radio, but that seems to no longer be available. Im not happy with the radio that Im forced to buy with the so called Ready To Crawl version. Its realy not ready to crawl by any means...at least with the stock radio system....constantly glitchy, and no throttle control. At 1 point while adjusting the DR/STR control as the truck sat idle on the floor, the truck took off on its own, going WFO accross the floor and didnt stop untill it got tangled up in an extension cord on my shop floor that was quite a sight.

I had already decided that I would pick up another receiver for my 3PMx to run in it even before I ordered the AX10. With the RTC you get a large pack of spare parts. Looks to be a good thing as some of the stock plastic parts appear to be very light in the strength catagory.

The AX10 is a realy good rig to start on for the crawler newb like myself. Gives you the basics. Its a proven winner by many others before me, and its a good starting ground for a build up rig. Tons of aftermarket parts are available for the AX10.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #7

Something I just found in another old thread. I didnt relise that the RTC just recently started shipping with the new AX-2 2.4GHz radio system. I knew that would what I was getting, I just didnt know that up till a month or more ago they were shipping with older crystal radio/receiver.

So not sure if that makes a difference on some of the advice given.

After looking at the instructions shipped with the truck, I found that they are still shipping instructions showing the old radio's. Most of the buttons on the new radio are self explanitory, but there is 1 unmarked black button on the back side of the radio that I have no idea what its for.

So I guess its time to contact Axial and see if what they say on how to correct this issue.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwasithinkin View Post
Something I just found in another old thread. I didnt relise that the RTC just recently started shipping with the new AX-2 2.4GHz radio system. I knew that would what I was getting, I just didnt know that up till a month or more ago they were shipping with older crystal radio/receiver.

So not sure if that makes a difference on some of the advice given.

After looking at the instructions shipped with the truck, I found that they are still shipping instructions showing the old radio's. Most of the buttons on the new radio are self explanitory, but there is 1 unmarked black button on the back side of the radio that I have no idea what its for.

So I guess its time to contact Axial and see if what they say on how to correct this issue.
Just an update since i first posted this. I did get a very quick responce back from Axial. It appears that the 2.4GHz radio/rec is the culprit of my problems. And they have offered to test/fix as needed. The unmarked black button on the back of the radio is the bind switch. Axial gave me the simple instructions how to bind them, which Ive tryed many times without success.

I knew full well going in that the radio would most likely be sub par concidering its with a $250 ready to run RC. So rather than dealing with the radio right now, Im going to replace it with a Futaba system as soon as I figure out which one I want to commit to. Ill have Axial look at it so I can have a spare or possibly sell it. I wont sell it unless Im comfortable knowing it works okay.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #9

So, the AX10 RTC comes with 2.4 now? Maybe I should wait until the LHS has one of those... I'd rather 2.4...even if it's ghetto RTR 2.4
KPSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

i got mine as soon as the 2.4 came out but lhs wanted me to take the 27am because they had two and wasnt gonna order more until they were gone
charleshermanpipesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I got mine a week ago off the shelf of the local hobbie shop, it had the 27Mhz AX-1. Haven't had any glitchiness with it. I bought it knowing full well I would be upgrading the radio down the road, but for now I'm happy with it.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #12

was thinking of getting one of thease for the boy(he is hard on stuff)& this is what I was looking at before I got the xr10. how are they,do they hold up to wear & tear? I do like that there is lots & lots of upgrade parts out there
dinodbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

i also have to say if you got the rock racer, the one with the green truck body, its got a 27 turn brushed motor, that may be why its so fast.
Stangrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #14

the rtr & rtc both have green bodies (stock)
dinodbro is offline   Reply With Quote