Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: vp zero ackerman, terrible!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default vp zero ackerman, terrible!!!!!!

i just received some VP zero Ackermann knuckles, they look and feel great.

I looked around at alot of knuckles and alot of posts about what people suggested on this forum. i saw many posts about how great theses knuckles were.

i knew that i would need to make a longer steering linkage and that was fine.

the other issue is that where the steering and servo linkage meet, the screw and the 2 ball joints rub on the tire quite bad. i tried my DNA rims and my stock axial and both were the same.

the knuckle arms are quite long and i could see that when the tire gets compressed it will rub and bind

i never read any of these issues would occur with this product.

edit: calmed down a bit, had some great customer service and tech tips thanks

Last edited by bubbaskyjacker; 11-21-2010 at 02:04 PM.
bubbaskyjacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

before you give up on them do a search and see what other members have done to get them to work...if that dont work ill give ya 10 bucks shipped
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thumbs down

no luck yet been searching for a while now.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Could you post some pictures of your steering linkage so we could perhaps guide you as to what to change?

TONS of people run these on Axial and Berg axles with no problems, so hopefully we will be able to help you out.

Why would you be getting tire compression above the centerline of the axle? thats what would have to be happening in order for the tire to rub on the knuckle?
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

yes we need pics, like yjdavid said lots of folks run them myself included and i have never seen what your describing?
cascade crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

A quick search yielded theses pics hope they help.
Attached Images

See65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

There "terrible!!!!!"? Ok, send them to me then.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by See65 View Post
A quick search yielded theses pics hope they help.
the bottom knuckles are not zero ackermann and i saw the bta , the point is that there are more mods needed than making a new steering link. and i still have not seen a post that addressed those issues

gonna post a pic in a sec
Old 11-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

the screw still rubs even without any pressure. enough to indent the tire.

to the post about why would the tire be compressed above the axle? if the rock is higher thatn 2 1/2 inches then there will always be compression above the axle. ridges, lips and vertical faces all will compress where the knuckle sticks out.

Last edited by bubbaskyjacker; 11-20-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

You could try running a wider hex. Like a traxxas slash hex i think they are alot wider then the stock ones. Might be enough to fix your issue.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

ok i will try and say this without coming off as a dick but take it how you want, these zero arckerman knuckles were meant for someone who has modified there rig to the point of typically not running stock wheels (as it looks your are) you could try a wider hex but you would be better of spending your coin on some quality wheels.. in my opinoin.
cascade crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

What wheel are you running or what's the offset. Really need to get the proper wheel offset for them to work. On a comp rig I had, I ran .7 SLW's with 725 hubs. And with my CAC's had to be creative with the links, very small bit a rubbing if any. I get a pic.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Old 11-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaskyjacker View Post

the screw still rubs even without any pressure. enough to indent the tire.

to the post about why would the tire be compressed above the axle? if the rock is higher thatn 2 1/2 inches then there will always be compression above the axle. ridges, lips and vertical faces all will compress where the knuckle sticks out.
It looks like you have both the drag link and servo link on the top, try moving one or both to the bottom.
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

needs a wider offset wheel
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Probably the easiest fix without sacrificing the steering clearance you just gained by putting those knuckle on, would be to shim out the front wheels or put a set of mild wideners on there (just enough to get the rod ends out of your tire)

I disagree with moving ANY of your steering below the knuckles. Hence the "high clearance" part of the knuckles......
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Even with the tie rod under the knuckles, it's still 1/4" or more higher than stock. That's how I have mine set up.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I love how these noobs come on here and instead of asking for help, they want to bitch about the product. Well buddy, it's not the product that's terrible it's your ignorance and your attitude that is terrible.

There are trade offs with most mods. Zero Ackerman plus high steer comes with a significant cost. You're more often than not going to need a wheel with less backspacing and/or reconfigure you steering setup (it's not that great anyway).

Now, Noob, next time you can't figure how to make a proven, quality product work, try asking instead of slamming the product. It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear an idiot than open it and remove all doubt.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I love how these noobs come on here and instead of asking for help, they want to bitch about the product. Well buddy, it's not the product that's terrible it's your ignorance and your attitude that is terrible.

There are trade offs with most mods. Zero Ackerman plus high steer comes with a significant cost. You're more often than not going to need a wheel with less backspacing and/or reconfigure you steering setup (it's not that great anyway).

Now, Noob, next time you can't figure how to make a proven, quality product work, try asking instead of slamming the product. It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear an idiot than open it and remove all doubt.
:flip off:: flipoff: Y every one is a noob at some point. im sure you dont know everything. well according to your comment you probably THINK your are an expert in all fields. but yes i will ask next time. just was fired up because it took almost 2 weeks to arrive because the place i purchased them from was lacking on there service

TO THE REST thanks for the suggestions i was thinking a spacer would work out found a strc extended axle kit.. ill look in to the extended hex nut.

i do have a set of dna wheels not sure of the of set. they have skinny rc4wd rock lock or something, on them and they still rub but not as bad. only with the rod ends on top of each other

ill try moving the steering link to the bottom might just do it, but its kinda lame to loose what you just gained.

the issue was not that the product was bad it is that everyone suggested them and i saw no info on the extra mods that needed to be done. i should have assumed that it would be a custom job.

to finish this off, Vanquish products has the best customer service that i have ever seen. im very impressed with that
Old 11-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Look at my pic again. Try putting the tierod in the closest hole to the knuckle. (its a tight fit but it will clear the housing.) That way its closer to the rim than the tire. Plus in your pic you have them stacked on top of each other. That for sure would put the screw into the tire even on my set up. Thats why mine are staggered. I have the same knuckles they do work. Setup is the key tho. I still have a set of wheels and tires that no matter what i do they still rub both sides with these knuckles but I run them anyway. Tires show a little wear but not bad. I keep an eye one them and try not to use them to much..

I can see why people have typed rudely towards you. Being new to something and bad mouthing ANY vendors products is a good way to make people mad. I realize you seen that you shouldnt have come off that way, but continuing to provoke people will not get you any benefit in the future. Just some advice take it your leave it.

Good luck