Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: VP Trans case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default VP Trans case

Hey guys!

I have just purchased a VP trans case for my SSS-R sporty build. When I received it I had noticed that on the bottom of one side of the case has a small hole in it. Vanquish have been very polite and I'm looking to bash them as I know they are held in high regard on this forum. I was told that this is normal with the case and that if I were to receive another likely it would have the same issue.

If this is in fact normal so be it, but would just like to get confirmation of that. I just don't understand why this would be considered normal and acceptable.......
Cleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for posting! Very intresting. It doesnt seem to be that big a deal. A pic w/ the gear in place would be cool. I want a VP tranny case, I can't wait to see what it will look like now. If that was mine, I'd make sure not to run spacers under tranny. Hope it all works out for ya.
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Here is pic with a gear in.....

And to be fair here is a pic with both sides of the case together......

almost completely sealed.......
Old 11-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
0 0

You just answered yourself with that last picture. looks like it is supposed to be that way.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looks ok to me.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
You just answered yourself with that last picture. looks like it is supposed to be that way.
Yep, looks OK to me. I would debur the case, and if I was still worried about the case I would put a thin strip of two way tape on the bottom to seal it, and bolt it to the skid plate.

Ever seen the bottom of a Traxxas Slash trans? it has a huge hole in it....They just plug it off with two way tape.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I wasn't too worried that it would give me any grief but just found it odd that it would have a hole on the bottom. Vanquish had admitted that maybe they should have designed it a little better......

And again by no means am I bashing these guys, they obviously make top notch stuff I was just a little disappointed.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If I remember correctly the stock trans. case is the same, therefore this most likely being made from a mold derived from the stock tranny should be pretty normal I would just clean up the excess a bit. I ordered an Integy trans case and will look for this on mine aswell, since I'm sure they use more or less the same process.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Cleaner I looked on Brians here and it has the same thing. The hole wasn't there but the AL was so thin that when I touched it it broke away. Likely a tiny bit to thin but not a deal breaker.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The stock trans case is not the same. It isn't notched for fitment like the VP case. Personally I would tape it off with electrical tape or something else one sided rather than the double sided stuff.
vader2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #11

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/w...1120101199.jpg hi there. just got my spare standard case out off workshop and the first pic is the same. the other side off the case has a lip all the way round where the gear sits and thats what seals it. if i can get a pic up i will,but im new here so forgive me if i cant sort the pic out but basically it looks the same its just the finish on the vp one doesn't look that good but its like for like, an remember plastic is moulded and ally is machined.......not sure if pic works !!!

Last edited by scoobysport; 11-26-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: insert picture
scoobysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Yeah I took a look at my stock case as well and it looks very similar, a little smaller hole on the plastic case. It's all good I just wanted to get a few opinions before I put everything together. I would have thought that with all the beautiful stuff that VP makes they could have added an extra 1/16" of material to the bottom to seal it up and make it look a lot better?

But I'm happy now and as soon as the rest of my stuff arrives I can get building......