RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Built in bec vs. Rooster Crawler bec for glitching (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/283428-built-bec-vs-rooster-crawler-bec-glitching.html)

mudking82 11-28-2010 07:06 PM

Built in bec vs. Rooster Crawler bec for glitching

I am having trouble with glitching happening, specifically climbing and turning at the same time in forward or reverse. This has just recently started happening. All electronics are the stock ones the way I got it on the RTC. I just measured 5 volts on the feed from the esc to the rx for the servo circuit, and I know the Rooster Crawler will provide 6 volts/5 amps, but I don't know what kind of amps the stock esc puts out at those 5 volts. So would moving up to the Rooster Crawler be a good upgrade that should eliminate the glitching? (provided it is not something else) I am still running the stock servo, but I might upgrade the servo soon though. Also I am not running lipos, nor do I have plans to run them anytime soon, just running NiMh for the time being.

I would not see the need to run an external bec based upon what I have read for my needs. I will only be recreational crawling, never any comps. I am pretty new to all this, but know my way around stuff, so give me any advise you feel is applicable. Thanks in advance.

TrailDawg362 11-28-2010 10:02 PM

My vote would be for a Castle Sidewinder ESC and BEC combo. More programable, great drag brake and flexible enough to grow with if/when you go lipo. I run that combo in 3 of my rigs including a comp crawler. Best bang for the buck.

Wicked Klown 11-28-2010 11:20 PM

I vote for any ESC you want and a external BEC. Right now I'm running a CC Mamba Max with a CC Bec programmed at 6volts.

mudking82 11-29-2010 12:40 AM

The reason I am thinking the Rooster Crawler is I can get one for $60 refurbished w/warranty. My servo I am going to run has a 3 amp stall, so why wouldn't the built in bec be sufficient?

TrailDawg362 11-29-2010 12:48 AM

Because of the amp/volt draw of a fully loaded motor plus the servo at full lock. One will get the available juice, the other will starve. It may be more of a voltage issue, but usually the motor will cut out when the servo is at it's full left/right point. The BEC gives the servo it's own power from the battery.

Stangrocka 12-07-2010 12:10 AM

rooster doesnt have many tuning option, i have tekin fx pro and castle bec, traildawg362 eplanation is right on though. even though you say you will be a recreation crawler, there will be times when your front wheels will be in a bind and they dont get the right power, get a good servo too. i bought a cheapo servo on ebay for like $40, no name brand but it has metal gears and puts out like 400oz or whatever of turning power. it has actually out lasted any of these $150 servos at the LHS. BEC for sure no matter what esc. think of it as a bypass.

GRIMGREG 12-07-2010 08:37 AM

In a similar position (stock electronics), just bought the truck, so no more $$$ for upgrades now, but I did pick up a CC BEC since they are $20. I'm wondering which way to wire it into the stock stuff? I'm confused because I have seen 2 different diagrams, the one with the CC, and another that wires it into the servo directly.

Wicked Klown 12-07-2010 08:57 AM

I've ran it both ways, one to the RX and the straight to the servo route. Both worked, if you go straight to the servo it gets full power from the BEC. Plugging it right in to the RX tho is the easiest.