RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Rear wheel camber idea (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/284051-rear-wheel-camber-idea.html)

RickM 12-01-2010 08:45 PM

Rear wheel camber idea

I am not sure this really does belong in the ax10 catagory but here goes. I am building up a scx 10 with axial axles. I am working on building this as a bit of a rock racer/basher. I got the truck chassis on a trade and had to order my axles and the only ones I could come by were front axles. Anyway I was going to order the locked c's but an idea has hit me. What if I did a bit of a beef tubes conversion turning the c's so that I could adust the wheel camber a bit on the rear. What do you all think.

Aggie01 12-01-2010 09:00 PM

Are you going to run rear steer? If not then I don't see much point in messing with it on the rear.

RickM 12-01-2010 09:10 PM

no rear steer but I am wondering if camber would help with body roll when cornering with a bit of speed.

GRIMGREG 12-01-2010 10:11 PM

So, you are thinking of clocking the Cs 90 degrees so that you can set the rear stance like this /---\ ? Might be OK for a dirt racer, but I don't see it making a lot of difference otherwise.

BTW, you can just buy the lockouts for those axles and eliminate the Cs and knuckles.

kmnss 12-01-2010 10:21 PM

With the sidewall height of the tires we run, it really doesn't make too much of a difference. In touring cars, and some of the off road racing it makes a difference, but our tires and foams would be too soft for it to really do any good.

Duuuuuuuude 12-01-2010 10:50 PM

I bet it'd work. You'll probably need a considerable amount though...and you'd be sacrificing forward traction...

bubbaskyjacker 12-01-2010 11:21 PM

dont think it would make any difference with big tires. only benefits on low pro tires. and you are not going fast enough either.

RickM 12-02-2010 08:00 AM

This really is going to be more of a rock racer/basher so it will have some speed as I am running a 27t stock motor with a 22t pinion and a 87 spur on a 3s lipo. I am also going to run pretty stiff foams in the basher wheels and typical foams and weights in some other "trail running" tires.

92PathSE 12-02-2010 08:18 AM

It's worth trying out, even if it doesn't do much. "thumbsup"

ClassicGMJunkie 12-02-2010 10:56 AM

hell for that matter, run a 2nd servo back there, link it up with a servo arm that runs perpendicular to the axle,and run links to the knuckles that are clocked at90 degrees and have forced camber when you need it "thumbsup"

roger84 12-02-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicGMJunkie (Post 2773642)
hell for that matter, run a 2nd servo back there, link it up with a servo arm that runs perpendicular to the axle,and run links to the knuckles that are clocked at90 degrees and have forced camber when you need it "thumbsup"

that would be awsom. maybe run a mixer and mix camber with steering. IE the more you turn the more camber is added...8)

toka100 12-03-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger84 (Post 2774886)
that would be awsom. maybe run a mixer and mix camber with steering. IE the more you turn the more camber is added...8)

lol an active camber system. very intresting that could be somewhat usefull crawling

ClassicGMJunkie 12-03-2010 02:13 PM

if i am translating the rules correctly ( i'm just a 1 event noob) it would be considered forced articulation perhaps?? cause what happens to one side, would happen to the other on the same axle. what have i started.....:mrgreen:

you could use a 3 position switch setup like for a dig... left, center,right

or if you ran your links to resemble a watts link, (one higher than axle, one lower) to either end of the servo horn , you would get positive or negative camber on that axle.

GRIMGREG 12-03-2010 09:17 PM

Or just run a shock/spring between the 2 knuckles, the harder the torque, the more the camber?

aaugman 12-03-2010 09:53 PM

Its been ruled illegal if its adjustable on the fly, If its stationary then its perfectly legal, and useful in certain situations, One of the top drivers in our club has done it and it has helped in a few situations,

It came up months ago, Its considered rear steer on a vertical surface if you adjust it while your driving. Search toygoose for more details.

For a rock racer i think its cool, but probably not necesary, For a comp set up its useful sometimes but the having to get 300's in the rear (having the angle on the axle all the time makes them weak) as well makes it not really worth the cost for the advantage you get.

Stangrocka 12-06-2010 11:51 PM

body roll will have nothing to do with camber on a solid axle vehicle, it does on an independent front or rear though, your body roll is caused by everything above your axles leaning. work on some of your weight issues and suspension linking. IMO