RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   VP Hurtz Dig Issue - Worn Shifter Arm (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/284297-vp-hurtz-dig-issue-worn-shifter-arm.html)

bigstu 12-03-2010 11:28 AM

VP Hurtz Dig Issue - Worn Shifter Arm

1 Attachment(s)
I put this here, hoping it would get the most attention and since I have this installed in my Axial based - fastback comp rig.

Lately I have noticed a lot of noise coming out of my dig, VP Hurtz unit.
Especially when trying to lock the rear axle.
I tore down the dig and figured out that there are two flats worn on the pin of the shifter arm. The spool inside the dig doesn't look worn, just the shifter arm pin. It is worn so bad now, when I shift the dig, the spool can still move back and forth and disengage the rear axle when it feels like it.
I greased the heck out of the entire unit, and nothing else looks worn, other than the aluminum shifter arm pin.

So, my question is, has anyone else had this problem?
Also, does anyknow know what the width of the spool slot or the size of a non-worn shifter arm pin is?
I was thinking I would machine the remaining portion of the pin off the arm, drill and ream, to install a steel pin, or find a small bearing I could attach to the arm.
Trying to make it bullet proof and even lower maintenance.

Thanks guys.

Robbs2001tj 12-03-2010 12:26 PM

The aluminum is more of just a wearable part that has to be replaced after time. Call VP and order a new one. They are like $10 and you will be good to go for another year!

bigstu 12-03-2010 01:01 PM

It's the engineer in me coming out, I am just trying to make it stronger, better, etc...
The bad part is, this one only lasted about 6 months, and that was while using my XR10 for most comps and this for practice or playing around.

LIKES2CRAWL 12-03-2010 02:54 PM

I'd buy a new shifter arm and then modify the old one if you think you can make it better, if not then you'll have the new arm to throw in there."thumbsup"

dickwart 12-03-2010 06:22 PM

Been beatin on mine since the hurst came out... Noticed a little slippage and adjusted the EPA's... Guess I better take a look at this... Thanks for the heads up...

Stormin2u 12-03-2010 06:44 PM

I have a old Hurtz unit, I should have a look when my truck gets it's winter overhall, thanks BigStu keep us updated on your progress. "thumbsup"

bigstu 12-06-2010 07:53 AM

Will do guys. Just have to find the time to tear the entire rig apart to get too it. It might just be easier to order the spool and arm and start there.
Thank you for the info guys.

WIDELOAD 12-23-2010 05:21 AM

Sorry to drag this one up after a few weeks. But me and a few mates just did tear downs on out rigs and all 3 of us have found the same issues with the worn shifter arm. Out of the 3, mine is the oldest at approx 12months, but my mates on is only 3months or so and its worn down about a 1/3 of the shaft.

Before anybody says anything, yes EPAs were set properly and the dig linkage was directly inline on all 3 (not much in the way options for anything else unless you go a custom mount anyway)

To fix it, I did think about machining down the stub them drilling & tapping to m3 and run a small 1/8id bearing on it, but im not sure if the bearing would cope with the constant pressure on it.

Any updates with what you're doing to your shifter arm Bigstu?

DioptricStraw 12-23-2010 05:42 AM

I did a tear down last week on mine and after 3 months there is very little wear on my shaft.
I use a servo saver on the dig servo on mine I don't know if that makes a difference or not on the wear front. I find that it does help with the operation of the dig.

bigstu 12-23-2010 11:34 AM

Thank you for the feed back guys. I had the EPA's set properly too, I would always run it up until the servo was grunting, and then back it off a couple notches.
I ordered a new arm, but am still working on a fix. Just waiting on some more parts.
I have two ideas right now, first is to use a small bearing, the second is a replaceable pin that bolts in place.
I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Rig Rocker 12-24-2010 03:13 AM

Did this work out for you Stu?

dellis86 01-05-2011 11:25 AM

Just got mine today.
The dog wheel slot is .190" wide and .135" deep.
The arm pin is .187" dia. and .140" high.
Hope this helps.