Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Sourdough GC-3A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
Cool, I'm trying out your inginuity tonight, gotta try and get it finished for some rocks tomorrow afternoon.

One thing I have really noticed is when your going down a steep down hill, every time you steer, it helps push the rear tires back down.

I'm running 0 weight in my rear wheels. The only additional weight is the beef toobs in the rear axle housing.

Lemme know how it works out with your set-up!

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #82
Try to Bend it

Hey Tom can you show a picture of your front shock/link placement. Taken from behind the axle.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Will do, unfortunately I'm fighting garbage shock issues and I'm waiting on my Losi golds and some other springs I ordered. Thankfully I found some old stock kyosho buggy rear springs that are doing the trick for now, looks like we may have a local comp this weekend so we'll see how she does. So far tonight I've got everything done except drilling and tapping the tubes, I set the castor around 17-18 degrees (sorry, I'm using a crappy protractor LOL)
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Hey Tom can you show a picture of your front shock/link placement. Taken from behind the axle.

I'll get some pics of the shock placement tonight when I get home from work.

The results from the comp got posted up!

I took 3rd in the Pro Shafty class since I didn't finish that 1 course. But was able to pull off 6th over all. The two Losi's that beat me did awesome, 1 and 2 over all! Way to go Cody and DaveC!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
I'll get some pics of the shock placement tonight when I get home from work.

The results from the comp got posted up!

I took 3rd in the Pro Shafty class since I didn't finish that 1 course. But was able to pull off 6th over all. The two Losi's that beat me did awesome, 1 and 2 over all! Way to go Cody and DaveC!
Thanks, Tommy boy. I wish I would have done a couple things differently yesterday, but Cody drove well and really deserved the win. We put the pressure on him on the last course and he responded. I went for a couple bonus gates that cost me a few extra points, but my truck worked well overall. I need to add some weight back into rear to help it stay planted, but the new knuckle weights definitely are a step up in stability and wheelspeed. I think the three shafty guys have really stepped up their games and it shows in the overall results. It is great that we push each other to get better and help each other out.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
I know the GC3A works out of the box, I have one. Since you said "Out of the box this gatekeeper rips" then it should be easy to understand what I'm asking. If sourdojack had ever run this GC3a in stock (or as you call it "out of the box"), built by kit instructions ect... before the longer upper links and clocking of the beef tubes in the axles to gain back all of the castor he has. I know the GC3A chassis kit is set up as it is to gain the castor it provides and it works amazing like this, just wondering if changing the pinion angle (although getting the driveshaft out of the way) changes anything about the way the chassis reacts ect...

I blew out the pins in my CVD's today and some other carnage so I will be doing this mod anyways tonight and checking how it works out tomorrow.
Wasn't sure if you meant stock Axial or Gatekeeper. Now I know, thanks.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Got a gc3a on the way, can't wait to throw it together and try it out. Nice work
tbilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #88
Pebble Pounder

That steering mod is pretty sweet too, took me a second to work it out. If it was a metal end it would definitely add in the strength dept.
tbilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Here is a quick vid of Josh driving it up a line I have never made with a no-dig shafty before. One of these days maybe Chris the Battery Guy will come make some sweet video's of the new build. I just need to "cup the balls" better i think... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLAF6fI1hK0
Wow, sweet!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post

Here is the picture you requested.

Also I switched to the silver springs up front.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #91
Pebble Pounder

It'll never work :-P
WOUrugger51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Here are some pics I took from Saturday when Chris and I (mainly Chris) wound up an armature for my 480 puller motor.

I was going for the wind in THIS thread. Here is a pic!

The normal wind is on the left. The new fancy wind (for smoother low end) is on the right.

Here is the pattern drawn out real quick

While unwinding the armature, I kinda broke off all the copper tabs, so we had to solder each wire to the armature as we went.

First solder!

Half way there! 20 winds on each pole, the motor I currently run is a 12 turn.

And all finished, minus epoxy

Since we didn't have any epoxy, I decided to give it a try Saturday night. I put it in the can at 0* timing and it spun a little bit then smoked... Start-up was horrible.

I think Chris and I need to leave our motor building skills to the pros, lol

TOM
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Just got to use my rig today with your front castor/beef tube mod, not sure it made a difference yet but we'll see this coming weekend as I've only been able to hit some mild rocks. By the way, to me not making a difference so far is OK with me because it allowed me to keep the capabilities of the chassis intact and of course got my driveshaft out of the way. I've got some VP zero knuckles on the way to replace my VP high steers and I've got my Losi golds in but they were still in the shipping box when I stopped by the LHS today, should have them tomorrow. I'm gonna have to update my build too I guess
Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

A little update of my steering that I modified

Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #95
Rock Stacker

that is sick!
gatecreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecreeper View Post
that is sick!
Thank you!

I got some more goodies put on tonight.

Out with the old...

And $110 later

110mm front links and 115mm rear links. Revo Ti pushrod kit. Traxxas revo ends with aluminum balls.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Nice steering set-up, can't wait to see those lower links mounted up though.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #98
Rock Crawler

So I heard the Pro-Shafty class might make a come-back. With people being allowed to drive both MOA and Pro Shafty on the same courses.

Stay tuned for some updates on the build!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So I heard the Pro-Shafty class might make a come-back. With people being allowed to drive both MOA and Pro Shafty on the same courses.

Stay tuned for some updates on the build!!!
Were having the same problem for are winter series, I wanna run both!! How do u like running the bc with the low ground clearance. I'm switching from rovers to bc or kahos, love the kahos on my viper but I already have some bc so.
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

So the big issue with running shafty trucks and MOA trucks on the same course is how you can "pre-run" the course with your shafty. So I think the idea is to run MOA's first, then run the Pro-shafty trucks. So that way there isn't really an advantage at all. And I know that our pro-shafty class dropped down to 2 people, hopefully this will help bring some interest back into it.

And with the switch in tires, it's really hard for me to notice a difference... Wait till the update to see what tires I'll be running

TOM