Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my AX-10 RTC.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my AX-10 RTC.

Currently I have a stock RTC. The only thing I've done is drill holes in the wheels and I also plan to add stick-on wheel weights in the future. I just want something that's semi-capable. I'm just a basher and I recently moved from a place that had a GREAT place to crawl (Falls Park in Sioux Falls, SD) to a place that really doesn't (Erie, PA). I don't want to spend a lot of money on this rig...but wouldn't mind it being better than stock.

After researching a bunch of parts for the Axial and reading through these forums I've come up with the following list:

* LD Racing BTA Steering/4-link kit (for front axle)
* Vanquish Products or ST-RC battery/servo/4-link plate (for rear axle)
* ST-RC aluminum link kit (all 4 lower links are bent)
* Axial hardware upgrade kit (for aluminum links)

This would run me around $100. It would get me BTA Steering, 4-link suspension front and rear, aluminum links all around, bent lower links and the ability to mount a 6-cell 2/3A stick battery (which I already have from my 1/16 E-Revo VXL) on the rear axle to lower the CoG.

I've also considered the $11 ST-RC Delrin skid plate that places the lower links between the chassis plates (or just modify the stock plate) and 2 sets of the Axial driveshaft rings.

I do understand that delrin links with Traxxas rod ends are generally considered better, aluminum C-hubs and steering knuckles are better than plastic, the stock RTC electronics aren't great for crawling and that there are nicer skid plates available, etc. but I don't have the ability right now to build my own parts (most of my tools are 1100 miles away right now) and again I want to keep this on the cheap.

So what do you guys/gals think of the list I've put together? Would these parts alone make a big enough difference in capability? Is there anything else to add to the list that would *really* improve the overall package?
Omega-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Moving ur batery on the rear axle won't help u too much, but will do things worse.
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzz View Post
Moving ur batery on the rear axle won't help u too much, but will do things worse.
What will it make worse? I *might* be able to squeeze the battery in up front next to the steering servo with some creative positioning/angling...but I won't count on it.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzz View Post

Kind of wondering what makes you say that. I'm running a 2200mah 2s on the rear axle with no issues.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Im still new to crawlers. but I think by puting the battery on the rear axle is a bad thing because it will add to much weight to the rear axle, making the front end have less tratcion & steerability...(I could be wrong.)

As for the parts, Id recomend getting used parts if posible... youll save a big lump of $! The weights will help in the front tires, but if you still have the stock servo you will blow it out very easly even without any weights added... If you upgrade the servo to one with metal gears you can easly add 4 to 6 oz in the fronts... The alum or durlin links are also a good idea because the crapy stock plastic ones flex like crazy, as do the steering links...
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Tires,tires,tires. That one upgrade will make a difference you won't believe. Put some weight in the wheels, thats almost free.

You really don't have to have the bta kit, but making it 4 link will help with torque twist.

Any weight you can move lower helps, so on the axle would work fine. If you are willing to try and make things you could make your own axle plate pretty easy

Get you a star and post up some pics, most everybody is willing to help ya.

EDIT- A good servo is a great upgrade too. Thats something to save up and get a good one!

Randy

Last edited by racerrandy; 12-12-2010 at 01:14 PM.
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

If you are some what handy and have a few basic tools you can make a lot of the parts on your list for about $20 bucks.

.049 wall aluminum tube
#1942 Traxxas rod ends
8/32 grub screws

This will make you every suspension and steering link on the whole truck.

Here is a template for a 4-link plate, it prints to size, just trace it out and you can make 4-links tillyour arms fall off

http://www.binaryterror.com/binaryte...s-template.pdf

Read Read Read.....This will help tons too
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Add a BEC, it helped a lot on my RTC.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerrandy View Post
Tires,tires,tires. That one upgrade will make a difference you won't believe.

X'2 on the tires. I upgraded more things on my RTC than I can count before I got some tires and I was mad at myself for not getting some decent rubber sooner. Rovers or Sedonas, get the soft compound.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the input!

I *am* very handy with tools and making my own stuff but I'm in no position to do so at this time; this is for many reasons. What I've also found out by doing several, extensive home remodeling projects, modifying 1:1 cars and R/C cars, building/modding computers, etc. is that projects tend to nickel and dime.

I'll definitely keep the servo and tires in mind. I had my eye on the $30 metal-gear Hi-Tec but I'll also have to look at some of the China sites to see if there are any better ones for a bit more money. I have PL Hammers right now which I may try to alter the tread pattern on and see how I like it.

I have been reading, reading, reading since I signed up 3-4 months ago. Now I want to do, do, do. I think reading these boards and researching crawler tech has taught me so much more about R/C than the car/truck R/C boards have. And yes, I will have to buy a star now that I'm not just paying off moving expenses and re-buying miscellaneous household goods.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

a $30 dollar servo would not be much better then what you have right now and you will find the hammers ok but they are very lacking in height
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
a $30 dollar servo would not be much better then what you have right now and you will find the hammers ok but they are very lacking in height
That's interesting. I may end up scrapping this whole idea then. I just don't have a good enough place to crawl to make it worth putting a lot of money in to this rig. The only decent rocks to crawl on are at beaches along Lake Erie but the rock size and spacing is so drastic that even there it's hard to find "good" paths to crawl on. My parents still live in NW Iowa so I may end up giving them my AX-10 so they can head up to Falls Park in Sioux Falls, SD (which is an amazing place for crawlers, check out the South Dakota regional forums here). I know my 5 year old nephew had a blast the one time he was able to run the Axial. It's slow and sturdy enough that he can't really harm it.

Maybe I'll just stick with my Summit and brushless 1/16 E-Revo for my Pennsylvania R/C fun.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

i agree witht the tires thats the first thing i did... boss claws with memory foam in the front will make a huge difference. then i did the servo which as huge, then aluminum for sure just go straight to the four link i did 3 link aluminum and a week later switched it... um i got a batterback thats 8 cell split up from that was awesome. lowered all the electronics and mounting brackets to lower my center of gravity which really helped... just depends on how nuts tho i guess... but for sure tires and servo for starters
SILVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Hey, that's cool to see someone else from SD on the forums. I'm from Belle Fourche originally. I wish I could be back there, because the Black Hills have all sorts of places I could crawl. Wasn't into the sport until after I left.
BluFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post
Kind of wondering what makes you say that. I'm running a 2200mah 2s on the rear axle with no issues.
C'mon, lol, . We r talkin bout NiMh batt pack. So putting it up there is a bad idea. I did think the same way but.... Once u try that u'll see the truck flipping back. I think it is not because it's too havy actually, but mostly it is too high and because this is rear - it becomes "higher" and make it flippy, i would say.
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote