Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Fastback and FF4, i owners need some assistance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Fastback and FF4, i owners need some assistance

i recently installed an ff4 chassis and it looks great ans very well made. when i went to drive it there was so much TT i almost

After Talking to DickyT i realized my shocks were toooo long, so i went out and got some losi crawlers. the TT reduced by 60-70% but im still having trouble gettin up some vertical rocks that my semi droop stock setup ran

front and rear VP link plates. front links are the closest on the plate and 2nd hole from the top on the chassis. (strait lower links)

rear they are spread to the last hole on the plate and second hole from the bottom on the chassis. i have moved theses around to every possible place and i can only make it worse. (strc bent lower links)

also my ride height is 2 1/16 in the front of the skid and 2 1/4 in the rear. the shocks are not drooped at all. so thats the max height with no weight on it. i saw dickyt's was 2.75 in front and 3 in the rear i would like to ge mine higher because the skid is getting hung up on rocks

iv been bugging DickyT sooo much i thought id let his email cool down.

ill try to get some pics but i have 5 chapter of geology to do before 3pm today.

thanks
bubbaskyjacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What are your lower link eye to eye lengths? Billj, Juan, Rocky666, and I all ran 4 1/4" fronts and 5 1/16" rear lowers.

Do you have under drive rear or over drive front (I prefer under drive rear)?

Are your uppers equal length to lowers on the rear or are you using the forward holes on the VP plate (I cut mine off and used the servo mounts towards the rear of the plate.

you can see pretty clearly in this shot (this is my favorite photo I ever took of this rig)

DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

the links are the same.

no, on the under or over drive

yes, using the forward holes so they are not the same length. About and inch shorter in the rear.

CHUD is putting my duuuude link in the mail today (i hope it gets here before my vacation im doing some crawling in the bay area, over break

what about skid clearance?

Last edited by bubbaskyjacker; 12-15-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

D Mount will help some, I have much better luck with the longer uppers. Get under drive for the rear or over drive the front. Gearing has a pretty large effect on the torque twist issue.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

im gonna name my crawler mini T, because of your input.

trying to be ready for my first local comp in early January right next to the Great salt lake.

what do you think about ride height. did the shock relocate brackets raise it up that much ?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I got the extra rear height because of the VP shock razorz. I would not go any over the height I had, it will negatively effect climb ability.

I need to see pics of your rig and know the lower link lengths to offer much more than I have already.

My chassis would hang up too, one of the down sides to driving shafty, you need to keep the belly lower. That is driver compensated by well timed throttle blips to clear the rocks it would hang on.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

lower links are 4 1/4 and 5 1/8. eye to eye. total length axle to axle is 12.5

Old 12-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Those lower links look LONG. Your shocks laid down so far leads me to believe the same.

Remeasure them. By eye to eye you are measuring middle of the rod end eye to middle of the rod end eye? They really look long to me. If your measurements are on the rear is over by 1/16.

If you compare your shock angles to mine (we are using the same shocks and mounting holes) you can see the difference.

My vote remeasure those lower links
Old 12-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

also yours angle on front axle to shaft is a bit big try to twist the front axle by making the upper link a bit longer it will help to transfer torque better with less stress on shaft joint in front.
I use in front traxxas red links so i can adjust mine shaft angle to mine liking.
cliffhanger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

DickyT is the man when it comes to this chassis. I am running my ff-4 identical to his setup and I have zero torque twist issues.
See65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by See65 View Post
DickyT is the man when it comes to this chassis. I am running my ff-4 identical to his setup and I have zero torque twist issues.
I just thought of a new nick name for him

Dr. T
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post

Dr. T
The Doctor will see you now
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm on the same boat here as well DickyT is the man for sure.Thanks for all help man
cliffhanger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I had a lot of TT to, almost all of it was taken out by under drive gears in the rear.

But I would work on the links first, and try to get as much as you can out. It will make it better overall.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post

Dr. T
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
The Doctor will see you now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger007 View Post
I'm on the same boat here as well DickyT is the man for sure.Thanks for all help man
I don't know about all that. I just spent MANY hours on the rocks trying every possible combination with this thing. I know nothing, only what I gained from lot of trial and error I like to think I just got lucky finding the "magic setup" with this chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
I had a lot of TT to, almost all of it was taken out by under drive gears in the rear.

But I would work on the links first, and try to get as much as you can out. It will make it better overall.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

changing the gears in the rear took almost all the TT out of mine.

A big vote for the 43/13 HD gear set in the back.

Although I do not have the same chassis.. I also tried to clock my rear pinion up, similar to what yours looks like, with longer upper links, trying to clock and also get the links the same length.

Ended up in the same situation as yours in those pics, its fully extending the shocks at rest. Mine could not keep the front wheels down, TT was worse.

The suspension has since been changed and made better.
durrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

i dont really see how the lower gears with help TT. if all the weight is on the rear and the fronts are barely touching in a climb the tt will still happen.

im sure it would help on flat ground but my TT is affecting my steep climbs and changing the ratio only makes the rears turns slower giving more torq.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Ill tell you what, we should swap my rear axle under yours and compare, keep all else on your rig the same..

If i peg mine in full reverse it it still has the TT but not forward. (from the front stock gearing right?)

like they are saying, getting the links correct is a bigger issue to fix first. these guys have put in the time to know.

Last edited by durrty; 12-16-2010 at 06:45 PM.
durrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I don't know about all that. I just spent MANY hours on the rocks trying every possible combination with this thing. I know nothing, only what I gained from lot of trial and error I like to think I just got lucky finding the "magic setup" with this chassis.

HA HA Juan endorsed it so DR T it is
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

soooo, i added vp shock razors front and back. shortened the rear links by 1/16. added the duuuude rear link plate. with upper links a little longer than the lowers.

i still have TT ? tried about 500 variations and i could only make it worse

not sure if im being picky but it seems kinda odd that others with very very similar set ups claim not to have tt. maybe my motor just has way toooo much power

my last option is to limit the right rear shock internally