Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR ESC Crawler Combo 35T Motor suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tekin FXR ESC Crawler Combo 35T Motor suggestions

My scorpion has been doing a great job lately and its time to give it an ultimate reward. Im looking for a good combo for ecs and motor. Im thinking baout this FXR esc and 35t by Tekin. I really need this thing to go faster. Im running stock esc and 55t integy at the moment and it needs more speed uphills on dirt or gravel. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
bro_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Any quality hand wound 35t motor will work well for you. You can support a vendor and go with Team Brood http://teambrood.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_29 or Holmes Hobbies http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1 which are out of stock currently.

Another good option would be a Tekin hand wound motor, personally I am all for vendor support though! Eddie at Brood has incredible customer service and his motors are currently in stock.

If you do not mind paying a little extra he has Limited Edition motors: http://teambrood.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=257

These are only sold in pairs though. there were only 10 pair made in this most recent batch and I am unsure if any are left. I have a set of these with stand up brush hood swap and ceramic bearings on the way for my XR10
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I agre with Dicky about Vender support. To start out with a Tekin FXR Combo is great and, We have venders that sell them as well.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/searc...archid=2757576

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tektt2106.htm

and

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/searc...archid=2757584

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Tekin-FXR...6-p-17307.html

they also have

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Tekin-FXR...5-p-17344.html

Don't forget about

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...+Scale+Designs

http://www.montanascaledesigns.com/s...7leh306hi27si2
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I run that same combo in my AX10. On 3 cells it has excellent wheel speed and decent smooth low end. I do agree with the above stated, that a good quality hand wound is the best bet.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So is HH all out of stock or something. There's not a better vendor on here with bettet customer service than Holmes
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the quick response. Will I be having trouble with the power of these motors and the torque twist. Because im thinking if the motor is strong itll generate too much torque and ill have that torque twist problem again.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro_die View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Will I be having trouble with the power of these motors and the torque twist. Because im thinking if the motor is strong itll generate too much torque and ill have that torque twist problem again.

Only if your answer to every solution is wide open throttle. These motors do make far more power than a mass produced machine wound, they also have MUCH smoother low end resolution. The "creep" ability on them is butter smooth. If you can control the throttle finger and only use the power on tap when needed they will not add any twist.

If you peg it wide open from a stand still, yes there will be some twist.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Cool thanks. Well the only reason why i was worried about torque twist is because most of the times we climb uphills and at times right after the rain it gets slippery so WOT is a must at the same time youre trying to get grip and try to make it up that hill without sliding back down. I will start out with maybe a Tekin FXR combo with the 35T hand wound motor and if it goes good from there I will try to upgrade to another motor. Reading waht people say about the tekin esc I want one even though there might be a better motor but it beats it because its a combo and im really after the esc anyways so might as well get both.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The Tekin combo is a good way to start. You will like the extra power and the FXR just rocks!

When you wear out the Tekin motor you can look into some serious Brood power!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Another one for the brood! I've dealt with both brood and HH and both you can't go wrong. But from the sounds of things you do more bashing with it then crawling.. might want to look into a brushless. Like a traxxas water proof venoline or something along that line... More wheel speed but won't crawl like these brushed motors... Again that's only because it sounds like your bashing not crawling.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
look into some serious Brood power!
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
Whats going on here boys? I thought the both of you were HH guys? I felt I was going to be punished when I got my brood
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Whats going on here boys? I thought the both of you were HH guys? I felt I was going to be punished when I got my brood
Times change, opinions change Bill never ran HH, he had JPH Warriors until his Broods came. And i would never chastise anyone for supporting any vendor.

Either is a good way to go and of great quality. I have some "special" Brood motors on their way to me for my XR and with conversations I have had with EddieO he will continue to get my motor money in the future.

Last edited by DickyT; 12-22-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
You can also adjust your throttle curve if things aren't quite as manageable as you would like. I have a Holmes 45 and found it a bit snappier than the 55 Integy I had. I smoothed out the lower end of the curve, and it has great finesse as well as a good punch.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

i have a FXR & both a t35 & T55 for my TLT crawler.... In my opinion they are both good motors & the FXR is better than the Novak rooster esc.... (but have never ran brood or Holms motors)
Most locals here in ID tha Ive talked to hate TEKIN. (not sure why.) I like there products & have never had any problems with terer stuff...

Long story short the Tekin FXR is 1000 times better than your stock esc with a 55t integy motor.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. Wow this is a great subject for me to learn in because I never actually think itll make much of a difference. Airdreams since youre running what I want to run and you say the tekin esc makes that much of a difference. .. can you please explain waht were the difference I just want to know what to expect.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I have the Tekin 35t and FXR in my ax10. I absolutuely love it. Great crawl speed and torque and fast enough to get out of town when you need too. I have them in both my crawlers.
teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks guys. Wow this is a great subject for me to learn in because I never actually think itll make much of a difference. Airdreams since youre running what I want to run and you say the tekin esc makes that much of a difference. .. can you please explain waht were the difference I just want to know what to expect.
For starters the tekin has a drag brake, stock does not. Lets add in adjustable throttle profiles, lipo cutoff, being able to set forward\reverse with no delay or need to center first, and it is tiny
Old 12-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #19
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Times change, opinions change Bill never ran HH, he had JPH Warriors until his Broods came. And i would never chastise anyone for supporting any vendor.

Either is a good way to go and of great quality. I have some "special" Brood motors on their way to me for my XR and with conversations I have had with EddieO he will continue to get my motor money in the future.

Sounds like nothing is actually changed if you haven't ran my motors or talked to me
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
For starters the tekin has a drag brake, stock does not. Lets add in adjustable throttle profiles, lipo cutoff, being able to set forward\reverse with no delay or need to center first, and it is tiny
Well stated! Thats exactly what makes it that much better.

they are extreamly adjustable (but you will need a hot wire or access to one)

If you havent looked at the tekin page you should.
http://www.teamtekin.com/fx.html
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote