Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: help with integy driveshafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #1

Default help with integy driveshafts

I got these in today http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...95&p_catid=124 and they came with no instructions and their website is about as devoid of info as the desert is of eskimos.

So...they are beefy all metal and quite nice, but they include rubber boots - not sure what I"m supposed to cover with them...the cv joints I suppose but won't the boots just get torn to shreds on the rocks?

Should the big end of the shafts be on the axle side of things? (lower the weight, protect the sliding surface a bit?)

Lube - grease or light oil or ?
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

With my MIPs, I have the bigger one on the axle and the spline one to the tranny. These are like the MIPs so should work the same. As for the rubber boots not a clue what to do with them.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Not a big deal
u have to put them on the joints, where the outer tube holds the inner hex,
and the same with opposite side
there is a picture somewhere here even
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzz View Post
Not a big deal
u have to put them on the joints, where the outer tube holds the inner hex,
and the same with opposite side
there is a picture somewhere here even
to cover the pins/clips or to cover the joint itself? I can see it keeping the joint clean and free of crap but it makes the shaft harder to turn which eats power and run time and may limit flex a bit.

got a link or search term for the pic?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well, can't find the exact pic, but these might help

stepovertheedge said "....Slide the driveshafts apart and those rubber pieces go over the male rod/ female hole on both pieces to serve as cushion/seal for whatever reason....."
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #6

Thanks! I packed the joints with grease then put the boots on - makes perfect sense now as it will keep the dirt out of the grease - at least until the boots get torn up.
The one up under the spur gear is way way close - you might get a sheet of paper in between them but not 2 sheets. I don't see it hitting so I'm going to run it.
These shafts are nice - substantial and pretty too!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Once the boot is made of soft rubber no worries. U only can damage the boot itself but not the spur
Shafts look beefy and nice, no one complaining about them yet, at least i didn't find any (u have to remember this is Integy and be ready for everything. I have mine not installed yet, but i have rear hubs and they suck my brain out during installation lol ).
The good thing about shafts is, that u can always use a new Chrome Vanadium hex as a replacement of the stock male part, i think
Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I had them on my AX10 with a Rooster 55t combo on 2S lipos with a Slipper clutch and I was tearing them up.. Im back to the Traxxas shafts now.

The Steel ends are great, tough as nails, but as ALWAYS, Integy's aluminum is the weak spot. The aluminum piece in the middle is crap. It is held on by a set screw that will srip if you try ti tighten it. It will later twist sideways in its own hole as the metal shaft inside the aluminum starts to twist out the hex shape milled into the aluminum. The other end is a 5mm Allen key shaped male end that goes into the cheap aluminum and it will also twist out over time.

Mine are still working but have so much play in them is ugly. Plus, they are heavier than the MIPs I have for my slash 4x4. MIP's will be my next shafts for this truck. They have be BULLET PROOF in my Slash 4x4 with a Kershaw 9L 2700Kv motor with a MMP ESC running 3S lipos geared for 60mph.
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

make sure you lock tight all the set screws ive had more trouble with these shafts than anything if you could id say go with the mip way better shafts imo
txcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #10

I had some issues at first with mine. I went back and put loctite on all the hexes, haven't had any mores issues yet.
Banshee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I bought Integys because I didnt want to spring for a set of MIPs. They were pretty beefy,but I wore out and gernaded the joints in about three months.And I ended up getting MIPs anyways

My junk is brushless and 10lbs+ so your results may vary
FRIZZLEFRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

i caught hell with the set screws not holding well even with loctite so i tore them down, ground out a bigger flat spot for 2 set screws and drilled a small dimple for the others and ive not had any trouble since. I'm runnin the vxl and velineon from my slash 4x4 on an scx10 with 2.2's.
TNBiscuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Great,
for any experience or questions from now - post and refer to the thread below, pls.
That will help everybody to keep integy issue in one place.
AX10 and Integy parts

Last edited by shizzz; 12-25-2010 at 02:18 AM.