Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Steve's Fastback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Steve's Fastback

I have had my Fastback for a couple weeks now and have done a bit of work. Glad I got mine before Juan closed up shop. This beast blows my Edge out of the water, and I don't even have a motor in it yet!!

This won't be much of a build thread, I just thought it would be fun to post up a few pics for now.....and maybe get a bit of advice.

I still have a ton of work to do, de-anodizing, wiring, upgrading and tuning, but I think I have a decent plan.

Who's runnin the Axial BTA setup? Any issues? I plan on ordering one after the first of the year.

I have a Novak Rooster and am going to hook it up to a HH 35 hand wound....thoughts?

I'll post a few more pics as I upgrade, but any and all advice or criticism is welcomed. (Are machine guns comp legal? )

Enjoy the pics......Thanks for lookin!
Attached Images

Team Tactical Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks awesome!
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Tactical Bacon View Post
(Are machine guns comp legal? )
I love it!!! Don't change a thing
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #4

It's got some sick articulation. WOW
orangebloodtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I love the machine gun I'd let it pass tech and the last pic in front of the flag is great!

I ran the axial bta on mine and had no issues. It did require some cutting on the VP plate I had.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Not sure about the mini gun(unless it works)...otherwise it looks badass

-
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT18T View Post
Not sure about the mini gun(unless it works)...otherwise it looks badass

Thanks!

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I love the machine gun I'd let it pass tech and the last pic in front of the flag is great!

I ran the axial bta on mine and had no issues. It did require some cutting on the VP plate I had.
Thanks for the tip. I have been looking, but have not found a BTA setup with a 4 link mount integrated. Does someone make one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebloodtex View Post
It's got some sick articulation. WOW
That's all Juan's design and set up advice I have gotten from reading EVERY fastback buildup on this site. I'm just the monkey who filtered out the good info from the crap and bolted it together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I love it!!! Don't change a thing
Thank you, Sir!! Trying to do your awesome chassis justice! I thought you might like the theme with your aviation background. I almost called it the A10 Fastback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlerKonceptz View Post
Looks awesome!
That is definitly a complement coming from you. I have seen your work!
THANK YOU!!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

BTA: ld racing, kcjones on here
guapotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapotaco View Post
BTA: ld racing, kcjones on here
Thank you!!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #10

That looks great.
goose ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Awesome job. For Axial BTA you just need to make or find you a bettery servo tray with a four link. And as for the Rooster and 35t alls I have to say is 3s.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
Try to Bend it

Looks cool man, grab a Kc_JoNeS BTA. they work great with a four link. Then maybe get yourself a set of BWD Axial 4 link plates.

Here is mine with no issues and no modification required. There are more pictures in my SSS-R build thread.

Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Tossin' Salad

Yeah, hit me up. My BTA link is ready to go and $18 shipped.

The LD Racing is a good unit too...and it comes complete...but, it uses regular high steer knuckles, and the 4 link plate has no adjustability for the links.
My BTA link will work with zero ackermann knuckles. I have used it with the VP 4 link plate and the ST Racing 4 link plate.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 12-22-2010 at 07:01 PM.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Truck looks really great. Everyone has the list of things they want to do with a crawler and the build is suited to that, but a few things I might offer up even though unsolicated. The delrin link setup is super easy and cheap to do yourself. Jeepindougs drill guides make it do-able without a press and with a press it is a snap. If you are going to go through the trouble of a bta setup I might even recommend going with an affordable ckrc bta kit with knuckles. I also would recommend looking at the justintyme link mount we jerry rigged up for him. Worked like a dlink but for the front. It will give you more steering throw which is really a huge benefit if you are running without a dig or intend to comp. Finally looking at Dickyt and BillJ's comp rigs really gives you a great footprint for how to setup a FB for comps.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

My suggestion is to run those HPI Rock Grabbers backwards.

I run mine backwards and they seem to work a lot better.
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose ae View Post
That looks great.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post
Awesome job. For Axial BTA you just need to make or find you a bettery servo tray with a four link. And as for the Rooster and 35t alls I have to say is 3s.
Thanks! Its gonna be a re-worked 5000 mAh nimh for now. I can't ship lipos home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Looks cool man, grab a Kc_JoNeS BTA. they work great with a four link. Then maybe get yourself a set of BWD Axial 4 link plates.

Here is mine with no issues and no modification required. There are more pictures in my SSS-R build thread.
I like the look of the KC_JoNeS BTA link, but don't do pay pal. I think I'm going to home brew a plate and use the RickM method of link mount that was used on Justintyme's FB. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
Yeah, hit me up. My BTA link is ready to go and $18 shipped.

The LD Racing is a good unit too...and it comes complete...but, it uses regular high steer knuckles, and the 4 link plate has no adjustability for the links.
My BTA link will work with zero ackermann knuckles. I have used it with the VP 4 link plate and the ST Racing 4 link plate.

Casey
I'll PM you in a few........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Truck looks really great. Everyone has the list of things they want to do with a crawler and the build is suited to that, but a few things I might offer up even though unsolicated. The delrin link setup is super easy and cheap to do yourself. Jeepindougs drill guides make it do-able without a press and with a press it is a snap. If you are going to go through the trouble of a bta setup I might even recommend going with an affordable ckrc bta kit with knuckles. I also would recommend looking at the justintyme link mount we jerry rigged up for him. Worked like a dlink but for the front. It will give you more steering throw which is really a huge benefit if you are running without a dig or intend to comp. Finally looking at Dickyt and BillJ's comp rigs really gives you a great footprint for how to setup a FB for comps.
It was definitely solicited. Bring it on. I am trying to find a source for shipping Delrin to an APO, I agree that derin links would be nice. I have read those build threads a bunch of times and learn something new every time. And yes, I intend on comping...sportsman style.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. That is why I spend so much time surfing this site!! I am hoping that if enough people give their .02, I will be a millionaire!!!!! (Insert evil laugh here)
Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DioptricStraw View Post
My suggestion is to run those HPI Rock Grabbers backwards.

I run mine backwards and they seem to work a lot better.
Can do! Gonna try em this way first though. Gotta have a way to compare. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
RCC Addict

If i can cut you some delrin and ship it your way let me know. I have a great supplier here in dallas, and can cut it for you so it will be smaller to ship. The one thing to be afraid of here with the crkc kit which included knuckles is to watch out for the stock front axle dogbone style CVD's(?). They will not handle to hard an steering angle which I found out the hard way. I keep finding that the more I improved stuff the more I created a weaker link.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default You da man!

Thanks Rick! I may take you up on that. Unfortunately ( and fortunately I guess) I won't be able to start comping for a year, so I will have plenty of time to tune and test. it's gonna be urban type terrain with lots of concrete, stairs and whatever else I can figure out how to climb! Upgraded axle shafts are in the plan, but not til I break one. That's the fun part right!!??!!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Nice
teague is offline   Reply With Quote