Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: chevy42083's Warthog AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default chevy42083's Warthog AX10

Basically stock AX10 kit with chrome warthog chassis. Not a scale chassis, but I like scale more than comp so it'll lean a little that way. Trying to hide electronics versus strapping them to axles.

Currently...
Stock shocks with some old associated springs. Buggy springs stacked on truck springs rear, preloaded truck springs front.
65turn integy lathe
Sub C 6cell pack sometimes, but the 3s lipo is needed for some wheel speed.
Mamba Max (or swapped in some LRP runners for kicks)
Tower Pro servo
Traxxas 3ch Radio (might mod, or replace, it's from collecting parts for an old build that got abandoned).
Painted receiver red to resemble a fuel cell.
Stock tires, but I have some Masher 2000s and some Pullers. Hopefully I can mod some old Junfac beadlocks to work so i can swap around.

Big Bore shocks coming soon, hopefully with crazyorigin modded caps. I flopped it once and popped a cap off, and all the oil has leaked out of all shocks over the use of 3 2200 packs. Looks like the XXLong maxx shocks with the cap mod will put me in the neighborhood of 1/4in shorter than current shocks.

I also have some maxx drive shafts, just need to decide if I'm going to mod them like Jason's sticky or buy the 4927x yokes.

Only other plans in the works is proline 2stage memory foam, and some oven cleaner to the green stuff.

Here's some pics from playing at a local park. We don't have many rocks around here. Body panels should go on this week after I finalize electronic placement.

Bump wheely over a root.

I'm finding traction in dirt is tough to find. No weight added yet. Not even drilled rims. And maybe the M2Ks or Pullers will be better.

Any and all suggestions/comments welcome. I'm a newbie, but done lots of reading too.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i like it. Before i finished reading your thread, i thought to myself...this thing needs shorter shocks, body panels and some losi claws or chisels. You've got the first 2 covered. i'm not sure how tall the mashers are, but you will be amazed at how a taller 2.2 tire and 2 stages will perform.

i'm also building max shafts and am trying to use the 5mm yokes. i shortened the yoke by cutting off the smaller diameter end, and still can't get the 4mm set screw to hit the flat part of the axial input shaft at the axle. Let me know if you figure it out, otherwise i'm gonna try Jason's mod.

What will you use ch. 3 for?

More pics!
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have the 4wheel steering setup and an extra servo..... not sure if I'll bother. Not sure if it's worth modding the radio or upgrading for something that will be "neat", but might get old. I think I'll end up not useing the 3rd channel for dig or 4ws and just squeeze some more front turning out of it. Dig unit is more expensive than I want to spend on it for now.
Countersunk carrier bolts and a BTA setup (dunno which one) are probably in the next round of mods.

Looks like shocks eye to eye with the links horizontal measure about 4in. Pretty sure I want more droop than that. Hopefully 4in shocks with the cap mod will give me the height I need. Stock ones max at 4.8ish. There isn't much adjustability in shock mounting on this chassis (none up front), so I may be swapping shock ends to adjust height.

Last edited by chevy42083; 12-25-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, just 3rd channel some cool Axial light buckets on it and call it a sportsmens rig and have fun.

It's cool how in those pics, it looks like it's hauling a$$, but has a 65T and nimh. Have you tried a 45 or 35T?
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ok, I like the light idea.... I wanted them anyways, but 3rd channel control would be cool. Thanks (now I just need to look into it, can't be hard). Rough plan was 3 lights at roof and 2 under the nose, just hadn't tracked down measurements on enough lights to see what would fit. I thought about mounting the roof lights to a panel that isn't attached up front so when it rolls it would just push the panel in.

The pics have a 3s Lipo in it, which gives it a little kick.... not much.
Coming from stadium trucks, all of my motors are 18t or lower, and this one 65t. Geared at stock 14/87 but I have a ton of pinions, so I'll gear up till it cogs or something gets warm.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

update:
KC Jones' Beef tubes on order (mostly so I can clock the Cs to my desire)

I have CO modded shock caps in hand
Tmaxx shocks on order from Tower, should be here thursday

I HOPE the shocks aren't too long... they seemed about right for what it is now (would drop it to level links), but i have recently decided to try and cut new lower side plates ~1/4in shorter to drop the whole tuber lower. Hopefully it'll still leave the links far enough apart vertically (I don't know much, but I know I don't want the upper and lower links mounted at the same height at the chassis). Space will get tight, but I think I can figure it out.

Various revo/jato sized endlinks so I can make some beefy links. More weight lower is why I didn't go with delrin. Besides, there really isn't a lot of rock around here and I wanted to be able to tweak lengths and swap them around. And delrin on a tuber? eh.

Used Hammers w/ mem foam (never gets cold in TX )

Prepping myself for needing to order axle wideners... stock tires and shocks meet at full lock... with bigger shocks, bigger tires, and more steering throw I think I'm gonna need them.

Overdrive front gear set on back order.

5mm maxx shaft ends so I can use the shafts that are laying around. I might wait till I actually break the stockers though. I'll just have these ready to swap in. Might order a 5 to 6mm adapter so I can clear a larger spur and it'll also extend the output shaft further to keep the maxx shaft up and off the rocks.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #7

Looks cool
goose ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose ae View Post
Looks cool
x2 on that action.

i recently installed some rover white dots with the stock foams and they just about doubled its crawling ability, seriously. a-mazing tires.
Skwerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #9

Default warthog

just put my warthog together on my ax10. i dont have the same "issues" with the shock lengths ??? stock shocks and springs and my upper and lower links are pretty sttraight. i look forward to following your thread. see if im doing something wrong. i am waiting for paint to dry on the panels for the body, looks naked now.
machr04 is offline   Reply With Quote