Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Please tell me why

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #1

Default Please tell me why

ok everything I have read in here, and ive been doing it near nonstop for days now, says that the servos are crap on ax10, the axles are crap, the driveshafts are crap, the chassis are crap, the electronics are crap....

so the question is why do you buy the ax-10? cause I think im buying one right now.

Im not a comp guy its just for fun, but I dont want a constantly broken rockcrawler. I have only 410 bucks to do this with, and im already lookin at the hyperion 606i, ax10 rtc, and some Turnigy lipos. Its got the 2.4ghz radio, metal gear servo, lots of trees full of parts, extra metal gears...all metal gears in axles...550 55t. Or for my budget could I/should I just amass parts, used or new? Im sure Ill get a few rips on me for this, but that is good and part of what I want to hear.
TheRockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
cherry bomb

there is nothing wrong with a box stock AX10, I had an RTC and crawled it bone stock for a few months, a few buddys still have box stock RTC's and they are happy with them the way they are. it sounds like it'll be fine for your needs, but some people just feel the need to have more.

you will likely find yourself upgrading it down the road weather it needs it or not, its adicting, it's all about having fun, so have fun with it.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The AX10 is a great platform. Anyone that says it is crap has pushed what they have to it's limit and has broken it! If companies made things bulletproof, and that is almost every major manufacturer of everything, then the aftermarket would not exist. But, as we all know, limits must be pushed, and tolerances must be tested. It is just human / competetive nature!

If you are going to crawl for fun, and be real easy on your vehicle, get that AX10. You will love it. When you break something, upgrade and enjoy even more!!! Or buy it, and every upgrade part that exists and then try to break it!! Just enjoy it!! That's the point right????

Welcome to the addiction!

Well said, Fred0000!!
Team Tactical Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

that just what I was hoping to hear,
and I have no doubt that I will want to upgrade in the future ( have already started picking out esc...) and probally shocks and cheap tips right off the bat.

I just need to keep the pocket books safe for a while as Im starting a job with the railroad as a conductor trainee jan. 29 and wont get paid for a month

this is a great forumn, and im glad I signed up with it. i know Im gonna be addicted just hoping it can wait for my paycheck
Old 12-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah, for something bam, out of the box and on the rocks for under $300, you won't find better. If they made it "perfect", the price would be easily 3 times that if not more.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
0 0

Most of the stuff you hear is crap is probably coming from a comp only standpoint. You can comp with a box stock RTC and do Ok but to be serious most of the stock stuff will need to be replaced.

Other than that have fun with it
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #7

thats alright, I had a stock 80s chevy with that 203 tranferbox, you know the goofy full time 4 wheeldrive with lock. well I did do some crawling and bashing and it was fun, but oh yeah it was crap, but what was really cool it would blow flames out the exhaust (not modded it just did)

your responses have been great, Im already to order it from ckrc tommorrow for 240 bones (BEST PRICE I COULD FIND!) Im also going with the hiperion 606I, what else do you need to make the hiperion work? it said something about no leads.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I think the 606I comes with a set of DC leads the can be clipped and have a Deans connector soldered on to it so you can charge your batteries. Make sure if you are going with LiPo batteries that the balance board that comes with the charger will work with the batteries you buy. Hyperion uses a different type of connector than most. If you are running LiPo's on a stock Axial ESC you may want to look into a LVC (low voltage cutoff) so you don't kill the batteries.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockguy View Post
ok everything I have read in here, and ive been doing it near nonstop for days now, says that the servos are crap on ax10, the axles are crap, the driveshafts are crap, the chassis are crap, the electronics are crap....

so the question is why do you buy the ax-10? cause I think im buying one right now.

Im not a comp guy its just for fun, but I dont want a constantly broken rockcrawler. I have only 410 bucks to do this with, and im already lookin at the hyperion 606i, ax10 rtc, and some Turnigy lipos. Its got the 2.4ghz radio, metal gear servo, lots of trees full of parts, extra metal gears...all metal gears in axles...550 55t. Or for my budget could I/should I just amass parts, used or new? Im sure Ill get a few rips on me for this, but that is good and part of what I want to hear.
FWIW, he's gett'in an "RTC".

Get the RTC, it's a great platform to start with. Then give us a review on the "2.4 with drag brake" ad thingy.

Anyway, in my opinion, it's as simple as this. Companies can't put out an ultimate, beat all that's out there truck. First of all, it would cost about $2500 smackadoos and secondly, they might sell two of 'em, because the rest of us would say it sucks. Too many driving styles and individuals building what they like. You get my point.

On the other hand, a company can put out a steaming pile and sell a bunch because the price is low, but you've done your research and can't go wrong with Axial.

Thing is, the more you build and learn, the more you see right thru those "everything is crap" statements (probably made by guys who need to justify their frivolous hop ups). Having said that, i have'nt really seen a lot of that on this site.

whew...
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #10

I just got an AX-10 (RTR), and I am having lots of fun with it. So far, I have broke the front drive shat, but with only 3.99 in upgrade parts, I am back up and running. I upgraded to traxxas drive shafts with duel female ends (thanks Lil John) and they probibly will never break the way I am running. I did go ahead and pull the set screws off all the drive shafts and lock tight them. Get the AX-10 and hve fun. Wheel it and enjoy it. When you break someting, of find out it wont do something that you want it to do, then upgrade. I cannot think of a better R/C crawler right out of the box.
chief gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #11

first off all the replies have been great!

I am going with the rtc version. I will go ahead and do a full noob review, maybe even Ill call a couple of the parts dohickys and whatsits but non the less I am quite interested about the drag brake and the remote.

with the hyperion Im also ordering enough deans plugs to convert everything, but would that also be suitable for the balance part, Or should I order a different connector? Ive found the info. about chargers to be the most difficult to understand. I was planning on ordering 4 males 4 females, what does the ax10 have stock? (its funny that I havnt been able to find such simple info )
I have three turnigys im also planning on, what I am asking is my shopping list ok??

edit: I did just notice that a dean is not acceptable for balance port. I suppose if something is not right I can go to my lhs they said they had the stuff to work it out. though it would be nice to know in advance.

Last edited by TheRockguy; 12-25-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

There's nothing wrong with the AX-10. It's a great starting point. As with just about any R/C that's out there, things happen and stuff breaks. When that happens you can either replace it with stock replacement parts or upgrade to something better. You will want to upgrade to aluminum steering links as the plastic ones are really flexy, and you'll want to get a Castle Creations BEC so you don't overwork the speed control.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i love my ax10 only cosistent problem is my rear drive shaft always comes loose at the yoke off the trans, the little allen screw always comes loose

but other than that i love mine
matt_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_22 View Post
i love my ax10 only cosistent problem is my rear drive shaft always comes loose at the yoke off the trans, the little allen screw always comes loose

but other than that i love mine
Put a 3mm set screw in both sides of the yoke. use blue loctite... do this to all the yokes on both the drive shafts and the set screw on your pinion gear. Let it dry over night before you use it.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 12-25-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
Put a 3mm set screw in both sides of the yoke. use blue loctite... do this to all the yokes on both the drive shafts and the set screw on your pinion gear. Let it dry over night before you use it.
what about doing a 4 link set up iv been lookin in to doing that aslo just cant find any thing
matt_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_22 View Post
what about doing a 4 link set up iv been lookin in to doing that aslo just cant find any thing
Make your own.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

The only problem I have had with my Axials is the driveshafts, and that has already been addressed here, as well as the solution. I took the drive shaft fix one step more and tore the axles and tramsmission down and drilled a diviot/dimple in the outputs of the trans and input of the pinion shaft. I also found a set screw that had a longer nipple on the end (Axial setscrews are flat on the end, Tamiya set screws sem to have a longer beveled nipple on the end) and aligned the drive shaft screw hole up with the indention of the shafts, locktighted and tighened them that way. I have not had any further problems. Warning though, have a really good drill bit if you are going to do this cause the shafts are rock hard and will burn up ordinary bits.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
Keep it real

The balancing plug is dependent on the brand of battery. You can buy different ones for different brands, here's a link
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...0&cat=7&page=1

AX10's are great rigs, even out of the box, and can be setup/built to compete at the highest level of competition, or just to bash around or anything in between. Here's a list of common parts that need upgrading at some point, depending on your truck setup, weight and driving habits.

Driveshafts: simplest solution is to swap to Traxxas Stampede half shafts, they will work with the axial metal yokes
Knuckles, C hubs: when you break them, you can upgrade to aluminum parts
Tranny outputs: when you break them, axial has a steel version available to around $10

Other than that, the drivetrain is plenty stout for normal use.
As far as Electronics, that is just personal preference. The stock stuff is obviously just entry level stuff, or the kits would cost a lot more, but they work fine, and you can upgrade them down the road.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Most of the complaints that I've read about were the plastic links used on the RTR version- buy a kit version and get all of the aluminum parts right from the start, you just have to live with the fugly green ano or strip them and polish them nice and shiny. The axles and gear boxes are some of the strongest and most supported by the aftermarket.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #20

Well I did it,

I ordered the ax10 ready to crawl today, along with the hyperion e06061, 4 male deans plugs, 2 female. Ckrc

I also ordered 6 Elite 850 7.4V 2S packs with dean female plugs and polyquest balance. (got 6 for the free shipping deal) I plan on wiring in parrallel 2 packs once I figure out exactly where and how I want them wired.

I think only thing that will be left to do is make the leads for the charger, should be able to get the jacks form lhs or radio shack I assume, Ill make the rest from wire and the deans.

any thoughts on charging 2 packs wired in parrallel at once, not understanding the balance port part of this.

now I just got to wait hope the f***ing car and battery arrive at same time or battery first, the otherway is just torture Id have to go to the lhs and pick up a nihm.

I will review the new electronics as best as a newb can...