Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Anyone built a custom BTA setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Anyone built a custom BTA setup?

It looks like the HR setup I got probably won't work, and CKRC says theirs won't work w/4-link configs. So, I'm considering other options. Axial's setup looks a lot like HR's, so that probably won't work.

I think I remember seeing one where the servo still faced forward, and one knuckle had a second arm which went forward to attach to the steering tie rod. Does this one ring a bell for anyone? I think this should allow the use of my current servo/batt plate config'd for 4-link.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

LD Racing makes the only BTA with a four link plate that I know of. The Axial setup with servo facing forward is for XR. What knuckles are you using? KC's bta link is sweet, but only works with Zero Acherman knuckles
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Egressor sells a dual arm setup for his excellent knuckles, among many other trick parts.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Right now I'm using the CKRC BTA drag link with the 4-link plate from my Slingshot chassis. Was using it with a ST racing concepts 4 link plate.That with high clearance knuckles and it works great.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

X2 on the LD Racing BTA kit, it works great with VP high clearance knuckles and has you all set up to run a 4 link.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ldrste002.htm

Last edited by abadk9420; 12-28-2010 at 11:28 PM.
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
It looks like the HR setup I got probably won't work, and CKRC says theirs won't work w/4-link configs. So, I'm considering other options. Axial's setup looks a lot like HR's, so that probably won't work.

I think I remember seeing one where the servo still faced forward, and one knuckle had a second arm which went forward to attach to the steering tie rod. Does this one ring a bell for anyone? I think this should allow the use of my current servo/batt plate config'd for 4-link.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Axial set-up is a direct bolt on... Just drill and counter sink two holes in the axle plate like a GC-3A for your 4 link mounting.

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Anything for clod axels by chance?
sabohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post

What knuckles are you using?

I'm using Venom alum, and not too pleased with them. I've got very limited steering. If I could get even just a good set of front facing hi-clearance knuckles for more complete turning travel, I'd be happy.

I'll check out some of the stuff you guy's mentioned. The LD Racing setup looks like my best option.

Thanks for the help. This one has been bugging me.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default bta

It was pretty easy to build one. Whene you set yours up with RickM, did you lower the battery / servo plate? If not, there should be plenty of room below it to make one with the axial high clearance knuckles and a KC_JoNeS link. I don't know if you looked at my thread lately, but I posted the pics you asked for....
Team Tactical Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadk9420 View Post
X2 on the LD Racing BTA kit, it works great with VP high clearance knuckles and has you all set up to run a 4 link.

As the original designer of it... I can tell you it works great! Im still running the prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabohead View Post
Anything for clod axels by chance?
Thundertechracing.com carries bta's for the clod
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Tactical Bacon View Post
It was pretty easy to build one. Whene you set yours up with RickM, did you lower the battery / servo plate? If not, there should be plenty of room below it to make one with the axial high clearance knuckles and a KC_JoNeS link. I don't know if you looked at my thread lately, but I posted the pics you asked for....
For the record, my link will not work with Axial High Clearance knuckles. My link is specifically for ZERO ACKERMANN knuckles.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadk9420 View Post

x3 on the LD Racing BTA. I had owned the CKRC kit before the LD kit. The LD kit was cheaper and had 4 link ready to mount. Not mention it's only $18 and has everything. Axial's kit is overpriced and so is CKRC's, compared to LD Racing.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
For the record, my link will not work with Axial High Clearance knuckles. My link is specifically for ZERO ACKERMANN knuckles.

Casey

Sorry for the bad intel. Thanks for correcting me.
Team Tactical Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
x3 on the LD Racing BTA. I had owned the CKRC kit before the LD kit. The LD kit was cheaper and had 4 link ready to mount. Not mention it's only $18 and has everything. Axial's kit is overpriced and so is CKRC's, compared to LD Racing.
X4 Can't beat the price and it's set up for 4-link and all you have to do is change the rod ends on your existing 3-link links.
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The only problem I have with my LD Racing BTA is that it is designed for high steer knuckles, instead of zero ackerman. I will be switching to either VP zero ackerman or Felenfest knuckles. I just got some Super 300's and I want to make the most of them.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post
The only problem I have with my LD Racing BTA is that it is designed for high steer knuckles, instead of zero ackerman. I will be switching to either VP zero ackerman or Felenfest knuckles. I just got some Super 300's and I want to make the most of them.

It is NOT designed for high steer knuckles. It works well with them but not designed for them. It was designed for/around stock knuckles and any hopup knuckles that use the same dimensions.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

how is it supposed to pivot with it screwed right to the knuckles like that?
i cant get mine to work right, i am running the rc4wd aluminum knuckles but they arent high steer and the knuckles are visibly towed in bad with it bolted tight, do you have to have high steer to use this set up? i didnt get the vp only version but the standard version...? and would the 2 position knuckles affect things at all?
guapotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
Try to Bend it

I love my KC-JoNeS BTA. it works really well no binds what so ever.

My first BTA was just a piece of 8mm Delrin rod with a hump bent into the middle to clear tha axle pumpkin. That work OK with CKRC high steer knuckles. But nothing like my current set up.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
I love my KC-JoNeS BTA. it works really well no binds what so ever.
You just made me blush.

KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Check out my sporty build... I have some detailed pics in ther of my bta. Custom plate by Duuuuuude, threaded rod tie rod with 2 small bends, an easy drag link with a revo and jato link with a short threaded rod (those longer screws with the head in the screw not like a standard screw... know what I mean... same thing you make links with) between them, and VP zero ackerman knuckles! I get full throw from a 300 axle so I know it works good! 50 degrees! The double sided one you were talking about is from felsenfest or egressor on here. Cool stuff! I run his locker! Super tight!

Last edited by PipeDreams; 01-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote