Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Eclipse with droop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #1

Default Eclipse with droop

Ok guys what are some different ways to setup shocks for droop. Such as what weight oils work best with ax10s. I have internal springs and it just don't flex well enough for me. I don't want to add a ton of weight to the wheels just to get it to flex on the rocks. I'm not sure what springs are in the shocks now as I just got the crawler used. Thanks a bunch.
Zack.anderson08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack.anderson08 View Post
Ok guys what are some different ways to setup shocks for droop. Such as what weight oils work best with ax10s. I have internal springs and it just don't flex well enough for me. I don't want to add a ton of weight to the wheels just to get it to flex on the rocks. I'm not sure what springs are in the shocks now as I just got the crawler used. Thanks a bunch.
Technically, shock oil has no effect on how much the suspension articulates. It only affects the rate (speed) at which it will articulate. Youi eiteher need to go with softer springs, or add weight to the wheels. I personally run 50wt in losi crawler shocks (limited internally by 0.5") with TCS medium internal springs. I have TCS superSofts, but then you need a really light oil or the suspension is too slow to react, but then it's so light that it seems floppy.

How much flex are you looking to get? 50-60* Should be more than suffice.

Last edited by TSK; 01-05-2011 at 04:41 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #3

Have you run them without springs? 50-60* should be fine. The concept of droop is new to me. Its a learning process I guess.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #4

Default droop

my sons eclipse came with droop setup. and i hate it. the sprung setup on my ax10 works better. i have tried all different weights of oil and internal spring rates on the droop setup. i am thinking about welding on new mounts to the chassis so can change it to sprung also.
machr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by machr04 View Post
my sons eclipse came with droop setup. and i hate it. the sprung setup on my ax10 works better. i have tried all different weights of oil and internal spring rates on the droop setup. i am thinking about welding on new mounts to the chassis so can change it to sprung also.
Wel if you hate droop, I ran 80mm YEAH racing shocks in the front and 90mm YEAH racing shocks in the rear (all sprung) on my eclipse.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

I have never run droop without springs. In theory, you want a spring that is stiff enough to keep the chassis flat when on a steep sidehill or vert. When I pick up my truck, the suspension only drops about half way, but overall it get ss the 60ish degrees of total articulation.

In most cases, a fully sprung setup seems to work better since it give more ultimate center ground clearance, but if you run a delrin skid, it;ll slide over everything with a droop setup. Tubers benefit most from droop because they inherently have a higher COG.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have been using TCS med. internal springs in my stock ax10 shocks as a droop with the stock 30wt oil in it and it works really well.

I also run a "semi-droop" set up. Internal TCS shocks set up for droop and axial super soft springs on the out side normally. that gets me about 50-60 degrees of flex.

Normal ride height.

Compressed

Extended

I have tried it without springs or stoppers you get easily more than 90 degrees but there is sooo much torque twist its almost unusable.

Last edited by DioptricStraw; 01-05-2011 at 08:38 PM.
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

too much twist is a liability in some situations...there are more times than not when being able to carry a tire over a hole is better han letting the tire drop off into it...

my newest set up is sprung with hpi super soft springs on tarxxas big bores on the front.. and axial shocks on the back limited internally to 3 inches of travel....its flexible enough to crawl over things, but still low enough to side hill really well...
irishgunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
TSK
Shelf queen

90* of articulation is way too much. that'll just get you into trouble. It lonly looks cool in poser shots.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thats why i did it. Its at about 60 degrees now
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #11

Ok well the internal springs in my shocks are way to stiff then. When I pick it up off all four tires. It only drops like 1/2" and it has limiters on the outside about a 1/4"