RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Vf dig tech question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/291049-vf-dig-tech-question.html)

day215 01-07-2011 08:59 AM

Vf dig tech question

I picked up a good used VF dig recently, I was messing around with it in my hands and was trying to make sense of how it engages. It will give me either 4wd/freewheel/dig functions, I'm a little confused as to how its supposed to accomplish this. When the servo link is fully engaged(shift fork fully pressed into the unit) I believe this is 4wd, with the link disengaged(shift fork fully extended out of the unit) I believe this is dig, would freewheel be between these two points? I have a 3rd channel that is 2 position, if what I stated above is correct, where I set my endpoints would determine if I get 4wd/freewheel or 4wd/dig, which one of those two combos would be preferred? Thanks for the long read, any help is appreciated. "thumbsup"

gunnar 01-07-2011 09:08 AM

Your correct, since there is a space in between the drivng gear mounted to the tranny output, and the rear gear(dogs) machined inside the back of the case, that is your neutral point, the sliding dog gear is not engaged with either. With a 2 position 3rd channel, 4WD to rear dig is the best choice.

day215 01-07-2011 09:22 AM

Perfect, so essentially set it to fully engage/disengage? Would not having freewheel hurt me on steep climbs, I have been told most moa rigs don't have freewheel and it doesn't seem to hurt them.

gunnar 01-07-2011 09:32 AM

Shafty rigs climb better in 4WD, you use dig on some climbs(hooking the front tires on the edges of rocks up above the rig for example, and making tighter turns. Sometimes it can get you out of certain binds too. Freewheel on a shaft driven car is not used much, it is more of a transition from 4WD to dig.
Running different axle ratios front and rear also help.
MOA rigs are different, they don't really freewheel, you can turn one motor off to provide dig, or just supply different amounts of power to each motor to do what you want the car to do.

day215 01-07-2011 10:18 AM

Ahh, now I get it. Thanks for the help, are you still selling your pins!

gunnar 01-07-2011 10:33 AM

Yep, making them right now in fact.

day215 01-07-2011 10:43 AM

I skimmed thru the pin thread, I'm still using the stock dog bones, with a slightly modied drive cup for increased steering. Do you make anything for the stock setup, im not even sure the stock pins are removable. I would like a set of hex pins though, I don't like the fit of the stock ones, really sloppy.

billet works 01-07-2011 11:10 AM

I too recommend 4wd and dig if 2 pos is what you have. When you set your end points, you will want to adjust it so it fully engages, in each direction, and the servo starts to hum, then back off till the humming stops. I also check a new setup after a few cycles of the dig, on the ground/rocks, to make sure it is still set as desired once settling in. This will keep you from burning servos and shift forks up "thumbsup"

BW

gunnar 01-07-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by day215 (Post 2845287)
I skimmed thru the pin thread, I'm still using the stock dog bones, with a slightly modied drive cup for increased steering. Do you make anything for the stock setup, im not even sure the stock pins are removable. I would like a set of hex pins though, I don't like the fit of the stock ones, really sloppy.

It's best to keep the thread on topic, I'll answer you in a PM.

day215 01-08-2011 08:09 AM

Hey guys, thank you for all the suggestion and input in this dig, its really ap"thumbsup"preciated.