RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   turning radius sucks.... now what? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/291159-turning-radius-sucks-now-what.html)

mudn_1 01-07-2011 04:54 PM

turning radius sucks.... now what?

how do you improve turning radius? mine sucks..... it was hitting the shocks and God awful.... so I moved the shocks and it still sucks....

My losi turns badass..... how do I make it turn sharper?

PhantomRS10 01-07-2011 04:58 PM

a pic and lil more info would help on this.

Factory plastic links? aluminum? 3 link 4 link? servo?

Where did u move the shocks to ect ect ect

mudn_1 01-08-2011 12:44 AM

plastic c's and hub for now.....stock dogbones.... I'll post a pic shortly

Mud Puppy 01-08-2011 12:52 AM

rear steer "thumbsup"

Do you have stock tires and wheels? Wider tires or aftermarket wheels that narrow your track width can reduce your steering.

mudn_1 01-08-2011 01:04 AM

Nope.... aftermarket aluminum wheels... not real sure the brand... but they are different.....

rear steer is out... its tryin to be a sportsman rig

Mud Puppy 01-08-2011 01:13 AM

better show us some pics then, especially of the front and top view with tires centered and turned.

abadk9420 01-08-2011 01:17 AM

If you can find a wider hex or run a wheel that is narrowed from the inside of the wheel to give you more clearance that will help, also is your steering set up all stock? What tires are you running on it? like said before we need more info and pics.

mudn_1 01-08-2011 07:34 AM

I have some wheel spacers....but they make it worse...the setup is pretty stock I think.... I'll try and get some pics up... i just know, compared to the losi, which is box stock, the axial's steering doesn't even compare....it could be that way from factory, but i didn't buy the axial brand new, so i wouldnt know

92PathSE 01-08-2011 07:45 AM

The stock knuckles are the limiting factor, unless your EPAs aren't set to max out the physical limits of the stock knuckles.

When you turn all the way to one side, does the knuckle hit the screw that holds the "C" to the axle housing (front side)? If there's a gap there, you can set that EPA to close that gap. Do the same for the other direction. You'll get a bit more steering angle.

That said, stock knuckles don't allow for some crazy steering angle. The high-steer knuckles will allow you to set the EPAs much farther. But, go too far and you'll kill axle shafts.

Garry 01-08-2011 08:11 AM

Axial BTA steering

I gaind more steering when I instaled Axials BTA. + moved LiPo to front diff"thumbsup"

chevy42083 01-08-2011 09:42 AM

You can countersink the screw on the front of the Cs, and that will give you a little more throw.
You can overdrive the front, underdrive rear, or both. Kinda like 98% dig :mrgreen:
More weight up front means it won't "push" as badly.

These things all help, but we need to know exactly what is limiting your truck's steering.

And you can look any number of builds on here and see what they are using.

GRIMGREG 01-08-2011 11:12 AM

I actually thought about unlocking my front diff just to see if steering would improve any. I know in 1:1 that locked front won't steer well, and my AX acts the same as a locked 1:1 trying to turn, where rather than turning, it just slightly deviates it's path in whatever direction you try to turn. I have aluminum Cs on mine with the plastic knuckles, and the arms pivot all the way to touching the axle housing.

mudn_1 01-08-2011 01:50 PM

stock c's and knuckles...... the knuckle hits the set screw.... i need to find some inset ones, and the truck has the overdriven gears in it now....which I love by the way

Manning 01-08-2011 03:38 PM

The set screw in the c hub doesn't limit steering very much if you are running the stock dogbone/stub axles. They are maxed out about when the steering arm hits the screw head.

If you are running the tie rod in front of the axle, add a nut or a few washers to the tie rod so it makes the front tires toed out. This makes both tire hit the max steering angle at the same time. This is assuming you don't have the one piece plastic tie rod.

mudn_1 01-09-2011 12:38 AM

its a delrin tierod... i'll see what I can come up with....

SDheavymetal 01-09-2011 12:49 AM

The BTA steering made by Axial with the Axial CVD's will make it turn sharper. You also must have a strong servo with it. The overdrive gears in front will help a lot. I drove in pro with no dig. The sprotman course were only 5 gates and pro was 10 gates. I just move up from sportman to 2.2 pro i got a XR10 for Chrismas. Good luck.

DonsATV 01-09-2011 07:51 AM

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s...disUseless.jpg

Walldog 01-09-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonsATV (Post 2848855)

Man, ya made me snort my Coffee, i laughed that hard when i saw this :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:"thumbsup"

EDGE 01-09-2011 11:21 AM

Narrow chassis, bta steering, cvd's, over&under drive i think that's it but there's probably more

JustinThyme 01-09-2011 03:26 PM

I had the same problem with upgrade aluminum c-hubs (STRC) and knuckles (Venom).....knuckles hitting the screw on the c-hub.

My cure was to go with a BTA kit. The one I used was from HR, and took a little custom tweaking to work right with my front 4-link mount.

If you have a limiting factor like this, rather than going the new c-hub and knuckles route, get a BTA kit (an c-hubs if they aren't included in the kit). It'll solve your problem immediately and completely.

As mentioned, some pix would help.